LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get a switch from the pull and pay, if you have access to them.

This is why they say you need to put it in a box before you disassemble it.

I dare not take mine apart!

---

I'd done everything properly (found a good guide online) and had it cleaned and re-assembled on the workbench waiting for the dielectric grease purchase for final re-assembly.

Had some friends over who put stuff on the workbench. Boing, boing, etc. you get the idea. Found them all except one.

Oh man that sucks! I think this is why they say that you should have everything ready to do this cleaning. Mine gives me issues sometimes with the heating fan not going on, but I click it a few times and it starts to work.
---

I'm almost convinced its the starter, as it starts right away after whacking it with a 2x2. However, in an effort to remove all possible issues, started at the battery and worked my way forward eliminating issues. $113 for 1 spring! If I had another week, I'd goto the junkyard, jsut don't have time now.

Bought a cool jacket for the starter to see if it will last longer.

Hmm... should start a miata thread on miata.net :-)

• 1 month later...

Looking good.

I finally ordered it a bar too. I went with the hard dog sport single diagonal in hopes that I can still unzip and fold down the back window.

Also after just lurking around miata.net it seems like folks over there aren't nearly as friendly as here. Maybe its just me.

Also Chris,did you ever sort out the cold start issues?

Looks good.

Also after just lurking around miata.net it seems like folks over there aren't nearly as friendly as here. Maybe its just me.

The Miata forums are a little different. m.net has the widest variety of enthusiasts, but tends toward an older demographic. I have noticed it getting a little less friendly over the last couple of years. CR.net is dominated by the 'stanced' and dildo shifter crowd, but there's still some interesting stuff going on, and mturbo.net is just a good place to get abused, but it's the place to gain info on turboing miatae...

A balanced approach is highly recommended... ;):lol:

Looking good.

I finally ordered it a bar too. I went with the hard dog sport single diagonal in hopes that I can still unzip and fold down the back window.

Also Chris,did you ever sort out the cold start issues?

Yeah I don't post much on any of the Miata forums but I do search a lot. It's a very interesting group of people, but less willing to help or simply don't know because they had someone else do the work.

I never did figure out the cold start issue, but I have a new O2 sensor and plug wires waiting for me at home. I'm also getting pretty terrible gas mileage about 23mpg.

Looks good.

The Miata forums are a little different. m.net has the widest variety of enthusiasts, but tends toward an older demographic. I have noticed it getting a little less friendly over the last couple of years. CR.net is dominated by the 'stanced' and dildo shifter crowd, but there's still some interesting stuff going on, and mturbo.net is just a good place to get abused, but it's the place to gain info on turboing miatae...

A balanced approach is highly recommended... ;):lol:

I also recommend a balanced approach to the Miata forums.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Yeah I don't post much on any of the Miata forums but I do search a lot. It's a very interesting group of people, but less willing to help or simply don't know because they had someone else do the work.

I never did figure out the cold start issue, but I have a new O2 sensor and plug wires waiting for me at home. I'm also getting pretty terrible gas mileage about 23mpg.

I also recommend a balanced approach to the Miata forums.

23 mpg is my average all the time. Only when I took a long trip did I see 30+

---

• 2 months later...

I think you'll find them to be a very nice street setup that will also work reasonably well for the occasional track day.

We just got back from FM's Summer Camp... had a great time, and the wife got to track her '13 Club... her first ever time on the track.

I think next year we're going to have to take both cars... :p

This was our 2nd trip. It's a lot of fun, and we combine it with a road trip for the several days before. This year it was Zion, Bryce and Capital Reef Nat'l Parks in Utah.

One of the great things at Summer Camp is getting rides in the FM cars on track. I rode in Keith's Targa Miata this year... talk about brutal!! :D

Yeah it should be a blast.

I just saw your post on the "what did you do to your NA today" thread about wanting to do a 1.8L swap.

Honestly I don't really recommend it unless you plan to go stand alone to fully control the 1.8 sensors. Running the 1.8 on the 1.6 computers is a pain in the ass.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I'll need a standalone for the (eventual) turbo, so that's definitely part of the plan.

First step will be getting Megasquirt running on the 1.6, then convert to speed density to eliminate the MAF, then 1.8 swap, then (eventually) turbo.

Biggest trick will be finding a decent used 1.8 for a price that isn't crazy.