LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

My motor rotates pretty easily with plugs out using a 1/2" breaker bar on the crank bolt.

Rotrex SC might be an option for you in CA. I think their new kit is CARB approved. That's one of the options I'm considering for the reliability benefits over a turbo on a car that's regularly tracked.

Edited by rodan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also picked up a 90' NA last December. It was sitting for a few years in Florida so a lot of work has been done to it. I found a few in the junkyard so I have been able to get parts cheap. The guy that sold it to me is a Miata enthusiast so he did a lot of work before selling it. I had to replace the ecu, air flow sensor, air bag sensor, one radiator fan, hoses including a little rubber pljg on the left side of the engine that if it breaks It will ruin your day. Timing belt as well as gaskets along with woodruff key and short nose bolt have been replaced as well. A few other things that I can't remember. I spent ~$100 at the pull and pay and got all the replacement parts. Parts are cheap for this car. Mine now has 80k miles and love driving it in this weather. It is now my DD.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg548/deexboy/2EE12BED-EE12-451E-9FF5-EBB2572AE315-1188-00000105FDD43AC6.jpg

X

---

Low miles for a '90, nice car!

The water plug is referred to as the "cursed water plug", and is a known failure point. One of the several undesired results of adapting a FWD engine into a RWD platform. ;)

94-95 is only the best becaus it has an oil port on the exhaust side so it's slightly easier to get an oil feed to the turbo.

Either way all 1.8s bend rods past 225-250 rwhp. Ask me how I know lol.

My 1.6 has the unused oil port on the exhaust side. Well, its used now...

I thought the 1.8's needed a feed line near the oil filter or somewhere on the intake side of the block?

What are you running for fuel right now?

Question for you guys....how difficult is it to rotate your motors with the spark plugs out?

Pretty easy, shouldn't take much of any effort.

the 96+ you get your feed from Teeing off the factory oil pressure sensor...

Yes, the famous "you've got oil" sensor. Completely useless! :spin:

Chris, hope the new motor works out. However, if you want to do an engine build I've got a 97 block laying around somewhere.

Edited by bochinam

I also love how mechanical the whole car is.

X

That's the nice thing about these cars: they're in the sweet spot between some of the 80's nightmare attempts at EFI and emissions, but still unencumbered by a lot of the BS weighing down newer cars and making them a lot more complex to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

Love Miatas. Had a sweet red 92 that I sold, instantly regretted. Had hardtop, tokicos/eibachs, sways, intake, exhaust, header etc...

Daily drive a Black 99 NB now. Bilsteins/H&R, Flying miata dual exhaust, raceland header, hardtop etc... Need sways.

Enjoy it!

I too love Miatas and want one for a project / summer car. One day...

Really too bad that BC Miatas are too expensive used. I will have to look at importing a US one. THere was a BC one that was beat to shit and the guy still wanted 2500 bucks for it. Had a ton of mileage and the paint and god knows what else was toast.

• 2 weeks later...
I made some guy in an Audi R8 cry today when out today in my 05 MSM.

Always fun... my favorite is sport bikes. :D

I went out with the VW club yesterday...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/3-16-13Overlook2_zpscba8db51.jpg

Nice to find this thread as I am done with mazda-speed.com. I just had to tell someone - I made some guy in an Audi R8 cry today when out today in my 05 MSM.

you beat an audi R8 in a miata?

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

you beat an audi R8 in a miata?

Yes, but a modified 330whp/320wtq miata, from a roll. No details as no kill posts allowed. But, it was gratifying to say the least. To give you some idea, if you are familiar with the 50-70 and 60-80 time thread - my miata logged a 1.28s 60-80.

Pics of Miata and mod list.

X

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/dskrafsur/Pic12-1.jpg

05 MSM #1317 v2.0 330whp/320wtq:

Built MSM motor, E85, BNR upgraded bolt on turbo with EVO3 16G compressor wheel / TD05 turbine wheel, FM Level II Clutch, Hydra 2.7 EMS, Deatschwerks 800cc's, Walbro 255hp, Ebay 27x7x2.5 FMIC, CXRacing Al Radiator, 2.5" catted down pipe, Custom Intake, Autometer Boost Gauge, H&R Race Springs, 15x8 6ULs, Hankook RS3s :)

• 2 weeks later...
Is it the picture, or are really working on the miata on your back deck? If so, congrats on the ultimate deck furniture.

it is a car port that sits on an engineered retaining wall that is about 10 feet high. Behind the car are stairs that lead to the back deck.

Yeah that's a pretty sweet place to be working on it

It's a great place to work on cars.

What's going into the motor?

Well for now we are going to tear it down and see what it would need to run. My end goal is a 1.8 with 99-00 head, but who knows when that will happen.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Took mine out for it's first track day yesterday. Here's a little video, just the last two laps of the third session... check out the 'line' the guy in the VW takes. It was fast (400whp, allegedly), but the guy couldn't drive... that was not his only dirt excursion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34k_hUvjtp0]Arizona Motorsports Park - 2 Laps - YouTube[/ame]

Definitely needs more horsepowers for a track with this many straights! I was holding my own in the corners, though... LOL