LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

I'm planning a 1.8 swap, which will eventually get a turbo or supercharger... still haven't decided which. I'm almost finished with the chassis, then it will be time to start on the powertrain.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got in a few hours of work today. Timing belt it's ready to come off as soon as I get the cams locked into place. after that I'll work on getting the head off. There is water in some cylinders and it appears to have blown a radiator house at some point because there is rusty coolant residue all over the engine.

uploadfromtaptalk1360452009479.jpg.84ff8b2973da39bef7ca48c545a88c1c.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360452022269.jpg.7e4b47e297aa5db835465963f8770d1b.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360452036568.jpg.ee0ada74c95f911973327ad2cfbccfa8.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360452049004.jpg.b1242dcb7ec7462fbfd02482999e5bde.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360452069248.thumb.jpg.24dcb330c60d77e924f564526d1dd190.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360452089539.thumb.jpg.b9bb82beede8d50436ae03fb6a2a72d9.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Awesome. Let me know if you ever want a hand with that project!!! I am in middletown I'll have my miata back on the road in April.

Nice! So far I have the subframe and transmission mount. Trying to get into a new house right now with a 2 car garage then I will be going all out.

Got in a few hours of work today. Timing belt it's ready to come off as soon as I get the cams locked into place.

These work great: http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5681&parentid=0&stocknumber=35-62000

If you can't wait to order them, two crescent wrenches over the hex casting on the cams can be C-clamped together to lock the cams. There's a pic on this walkthrough: http://www.miata.net/garage/timingbelt.html

On a personal note, I AutoX'd mine for the second time yesterday. This is a very informal, just for fun deal put on monthly by an outfit in Phoenix. No classes, just run.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMjIuNU_rOM]Local Motors AutoX 2-9-13 - YouTube[/ame]

I was about .5 sec off FTD... pretty happy with that! :D

These work great: http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5681&parentid=0&stocknumber=35-62000

If you can't wait to order them, two crescent wrenches over the hex casting on the cams can be C-clamped together to lock the cams. There's a pic on this walkthrough: http://www.miata.net/garage/timingbelt.html

I wish I had found that on Monday when I was ordering parts. I was just planning on doing the crescent wrench trick to hold them in place.

2003 Baja 5MT

Well I got the head off and back on. Car runs, but something isn't right with #1. Plugs say that only #1 is rich the others are firing just fine. New compression tester for DOHC motors is on order and I also plan to test my injectors.

2003 Baja 5MT

Just finished swapping in a Torsen diff, poly diff bushings and new wheel hubs/bearings/ARP wheel studs. About all that's left to do for the chassis is poly suspension bushings and sway bars. Then it'll be time to start on the powertrain... ;)

Well I got the head off and back on. Car runs, but something isn't right with #1. Plugs say that only #1 is rich the others are firing just fine. New compression tester for DOHC motors is on order and I also plan to test my injectors.

#1, 2 typically aren't "the problem" with these cars. It's the back half of the motor which runs hot (#4 in particular) due to sub optimal the coolant route. The motor was designed as a transverse mount with the thermostat located at what is now the back of the motor. Fix it with a simple reroute. How did the cylinder wall look? I had a RC injector stick on mine and it polished it to a mirror. Injector test come back?

For forced induction, I've been reading that a 94-95 block with 99+ head is the way to go. VVT head is best for power if you've got the engine management to control it. I haven't decided yet if I want a running engine to bolt in, or if I want to buy and build before installing. Either way, I'll be running it NA for a while...

94-95 is only the best becaus it has an oil port on the exhaust side so it's slightly easier to get an oil feed to the turbo.

Yup, that's why I said for forced induction. Just a convenience factor really.

Either way all 1.8s bend rods past 225-250 rwhp. Ask me how I know lol.

That's my main motivation to buy a builder... I'd like to make 275-300whp, and rods are required... ;)

I just want any running motor at this point but the important piece is I'm in CA so the basic 1.8 swap I can slide through smog and no one will notice. Turbo isn't a real option for me since it would never pass visual in CA. If I can get the 96 1.8 near me for cheap then I can save for the 99-00 head later.

Question for you guys....how difficult is it to rotate your motors with the spark plugs out?

2003 Baja 5MT