LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

Well the 1.8L was dropped off at home today and I already swapped the timing kit and plugs. I'm going to have to source an exhaust manifold and figure out what clutch and flywheel I want to go with since I have both to choose from. I'm going to get the injector harness moved tomorrow night and then see what else I can figure out....

I'm really hoping I can sneak this one by the smog guys lol.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting a new clutch on the Miata. Here are pics of my freshly resurfaced flywheel and new main seal.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg548/deexboy/null_zps861b2473.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg548/deexboy/null_zpsb602f2f4.jpg

That new gasket should end all my oil leaks. The original clutch lasted 87K miles and 23 years!

Can't wait to get it back today!

X

---

The oem exedy from mazdapartsonline.com

I don't see a need for any upgrades on stock horsepower.

I got it for $107. I think it was a fair price.

X

---

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a '99 Miata for about two years. Rebuilt suspension with Poly bushings and KYB struts. Harddog Roll bar and new top. Did a lot of general maintenance that was neglected as well.

Was quite a bit of fun. Parts are cheap and pretty easy cars to work on. The Variable length intake can be a pain. I'm 6'1" and 225, so I found the Miata a touch tight. Now I have a 2001 boxster for the weekends. Sure miss the miata priced parts! Boxster is more comfortable and more capable, but miata was right up there for the fun factor.

6UL's are nice wheels.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Now I have a 2001 boxster for the weekends. Sure miss the miata priced parts! Boxster is more comfortable and more capable, but miata was right up there for the fun factor.

We picked up a C6 Vette back in May, and after a couple months of agonizing, I got rid of the Miata for the same reasons. The Vette is a better weekend GT car, and much faster on the track. You are right about the prices of parts, though... I could buy wheels and track tires for the Miata for about 2/3 the price of a set of track tires for the Vette...

I do miss the nimbleness and directly connected feel of the Miata. Though 4x the horsepower makes up for a lot! :D

To Chris: did you ever get the 1.8 fired up?

• 2 months later...
Discovering the 1.8 swap intake setup is a giant cluster f***. Apparently no one really tells you that when you are shopping for parts.... At this point I'm really just wishing I'd found a decent running 1.6 so I could at least drive it. Bought it in Feb and still haven't gotten to drive it :(

2003 Baja 5MT

Nice. I painted my valve cover and air flow sensor with high temp silver paint. i still need to do the intake manifold.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg548/deexboy/null_zps12ac1f72.jpg

---

That looks great I'd like to paint mine blue or something like that, but right now I just need to get the car sorted out.

I got a temporary operating permit today and actually drove it around. It is by far the slowest car I've owned but still stupid fun :cool:

2003 Baja 5MT

• 1 month later...

Well, after watching my Miata languish on a car lot since July (I traded it on a Bronco to fill the need for a snow capable vehicle), I decided I couldn't stand it any more.

So I bought it back :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/DSC_7829_zpse538b44f.jpg

Needs some paint rehab and a good detail, but otherwise no worse for it's extended banishment. It's such a fun car to drive in very different ways from the 'Vette... Poor Miata seems happy to be home, knowing it will be properly fettled... and exercised! ;)