LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow most of the people on m.net talk about it being well over $20 a quart. I could have justified $4 extra a quart.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for suspension, bilsteins with collars or V-Maxx Classic. I keep going back and forth.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I can't remember if we discussed it here, but I have the V-Maxx and I really like them. The car handles very well, and the ride is very compliant on the street. I think they are a great setup for a street car, and I really don't miss the lack of adjustment... the damping is very well tailored to the spring rates.

Hey guys,just finally made it around to this thread (I'm "maybemiata87" on miata.net). I picked up my black 94 a few weeks ago but still have insured or registered it but I'll probably get around to it this week. I may get vanity plates that read "NO 1320" as well if I'm feelin' frisky. I did get a set of 6ul's and bfg rivals for it. It also came with some crappy godspeed coils so I'll be running those until they shit the bed. All in all I'm pretty stoked.

It also came with a set of dual headlights that I just swapped back out for the stock ones so if anyone likes the look of them shoot me a pm if you're interested. Otherwise they'll probably be up on miata.net soon.

Hey guys,just finally made it around to this thread (I'm "maybemiata87" on miata.net). I picked up my black 94 a few weeks ago but still have insured or registered it but I'll probably get around to it this week. I may get vanity plates that read "NO 1320" as well if I'm feelin' frisky. I did get a set of 6ul's and bfg rivals for it. It also came with some crappy godspeed coils so I'll be running those until they shit the bed. All in all I'm pretty stoked.

It also came with a set of dual headlights that I just swapped back out for the stock ones so if anyone likes the look of them shoot me a pm if you're interested. Otherwise they'll probably be up on miata.net soon.

Where did you find 6UL's 949 racing is still out of stock? Info on the dual headlights?

Also Chris,How was the install? That is going to be the next thing I purchase for it.

Wasn't as easy as its made out to be. Drilling the rear bolt holes is a GIANT pain in the ass and i'm not sure how you do it without a small right angle drill and an ultra stubby bit. My dad and I wound up plotting them out from the bottom and drilling them from the bottom.

2003 Baja 5MT

I found 15x7.5's. I really wanted 15x8's but didn't have the patience to wait for the next batch. 949 still had two 15x7.5 silver 6ul's in stock and I searched around and found that Good win had another two silver 15x7.5's also in silver so I went ahead and bought two from each of them.

That doesnt exactly sound fun. I suppose whenever I buy one I'll do the install at work rather than in the garage.

As for the dual headlights I'm 99% certain they are the brainstorm performance kit found here: http://www.gomiata.com/bsplowprheki.html

The previous owner said he installed them last summer and they look it. Very clean still. I just preferred the big happy round eyes. I can PM you some pictures if you'd like.

Ah, I'm kinda waiting for 949 Racing's Technicas (low priced coils) and another batch of 6UL's

I highly a roll hoop IMO is a necessity for these cars. I couldn't believe how much it helped the car structurally, and beyond all else for pure safety. I'm really seriously considering some Frog Arms as my next mod after suspension, wheels and tires

2003 Baja 5MT

I would do frame rails before frog arms if you don't have them already. Also, stitch welding the door openings made a huge difference for me.

I don't remember the roll bar install being all that bad, but that doesn't mean it wasn't (you forget shit when you pass 45... :p )

I would do frame rails before frog arms if you don't have them already. Also, stitch welding the door openings made a huge difference for me.

I don't remember the roll bar install being all that bad, but that doesn't mean it wasn't (you forget shit when you pass 45... :p )

Glad I'll just be 30 in May lol

My frame rails are FUBAR so frog arms would be a lot easier :lol:

What seams did you weld?

2003 Baja 5MT

Basically just around the door opening. Pull the trim, and weld the edge where the different pieces of metal comprising the body are pressed together. They are spot welded from the factory, but welding the seam adds considerable stiffness.

Basic location to weld:

453245100_a2c48fd7d4.jpg

Pre-welding, you can see the three layers of metal:

http://www.lightweightmiata.com/v8/seam/seam02.JPG

These show full seam weld.

http://www.targamiata.com/images_lrg/IMG_4920.jpg

http://www.lightweightmiata.com/v8/seam/seam07.JPG

Stitch welded:

7.jpg

I just stitched (one inch of weld, one inch unwelded). Full seam welding puts more heat in the metal, increasing chances of warping for a slight increase in strength. When you stitch weld, you can alternate locations to reduce the amount of heat in the metal and lessen the chance of warping. I was really amazed at the difference just welding the door openings made, but it was the first chassis stiffening I did. I have a MIG, and it took just a couple hours to pull the trim and weld.

There are more areas that can benefit from seam welding, but they require a lot more work to get to.

Edited by rodan

It doesn't take a lot of power. I don't remember the exact settings, but I'm using a Lincoln Weld-Pak 155 220V MIG w/gas (not flux core), and it was on medium/lower settings. Essentially, you're just fusing the edges of three layers of sheet metal.

Well, the standard answer when speaking of newer Miatas v. older Miatas is that the newer Miata is a better car, and the older one is a better Miata... ;)

NB's supposedly have slightly better suspension geometry in the front, and will have more power and better brakes than the NA. Slightly nicer interior as well. '99 has the best cylinder head for pre-VVT cars. 6 speed trans is stronger if you want more power down the road.

I'm assuming at that price, it's a little rough, or high miles?

Personally, I like the NA styling better than NB, but that's all personal taste...

Yeah, that's where I'm kinda struggling the 99 is arguably the best of both worlds, get the better NB suspension, great engine but its still based of the NA chassis. One of the biggest thing's I'm really dealing with is this damned 1.8 swap has never run perfectly, and frankly I don't really trust the car to drive it very far because of it. Cold starts it loads up and sputters when you rev it up. Also smogging it will always be an issue, since the recommended way to do the 1.8 swap is not smog legal in CA, realistically I should go back to a 1.6 so sorting out any mechanical gremlins will be a lot easier. I've also found a couple of 1.6 motors locally for 300-500 but another motor swap is a lot more work...

2003 Baja 5MT

At least the guy with the '94 took halfway decent pictures. What is it with people that they can't take decent pics when trying to sell something?

If the NB isn't a pile, I'd be tempted... would save a lot of hassle.