LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

The new Miata looks fantastic. And I heard the pulled 200 more pounds out of the new gen? God bless technology and progress...

One day...

Yeah, even though I own a Miata I'm actually not that big of a fan of them, but the ND has me rather smitten.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The new Miata looks fantastic. And I heard the pulled 200 more pounds out of the new gen? God bless technology and progress...

One day...

Agreed.

Once you get over the fact that you don't need a bazillion horsepressures to have fun a miata starts to look really tempting.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Nope, this was only my 2nd track day and the previous one was at Thunderhill in my old 3000GT.

I can tell you this though, at this point in time my Legacy has more grip (better tires) and is a lot faster (about 150 more WHP and 180 more wheel TQ).

2003 Baja 5MT

I never tracked my Legacy, but down our local mountain road, my Miata would have murdered it, unless it was snowing...

On a shorter track, I think the Miata could stay in front, but a couple longer straits would make it pretty interesting.

The Legacy was faster in a straight line (mine was 280whp), but the Miata is much better in the corners, especially transitions. My LGT had iON springs, Tokico struts and Cobb sways, upgraded brakes (SS lines and pads), and wider rubber.

My Miata has similar suspension/brake upgrades, and good rubber. And probably 90whp... :lol:

well a mountain road is one thing but a track where you can really gain speed between corners is really another. I suspect my spec.B would have been about 10-20 seconds a lap faster than my Miata was at Laguna Seca.

My Legacy has stock spec.B Bilsteins, Epic Springs, Hotchkis sways, and Kartboy endlinks. Most importantly it also has Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position tires where my Miata has the cheapest tires America's tire had in the stock daisy size :lol:

2003 Baja 5MT

I've done 2 tracks with both wagon & miata. Need to dig out the wagon vids and make a racerender side-by-side. I found I was able to maintain a more consistent time in the Miata (likely difference between harness/cage/seat) than wagon. Trying to cook a deal to get a ride in Gator's race wagon to see how I would fair apples-to-apples on the same track.

I know the lines are different. However, the lap speeds were pretty close.

I've done 2 tracks with both wagon & miata. Need to dig out the wagon vids and make a racerender side-by-side. I found I was able to maintain a more consistent time in the Miata (likely difference between harness/cage/seat) than wagon. Trying to cook a deal to get a ride in Gator's race wagon to see how I would fair apples-to-apples on the same track.

I know the lines are different. However, the lap speeds were pretty close.

Yeah, thing is Laguna Seca is very much a power track without power from the exit of turn 11 to the entrance of the Corkscrew you'll never make up the difference in the corners. I suspect Thunderhill would be similar, but Sonoma Raceway would be better for the Miata. The reality is I'm such a noob it wouldn't really matter. The lower speed of the Miata should allow me to better learn car control and be more comfortable exploring the limits.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag459/christobal65/Miatas%20at%20MRLS/DSC_6425_zpse2706eea.jpg

Looks like my Forza game shot. Except I can't get the windshield logo right. :-)

I painted the top black on mine in Forza 4 so it at least looks about the same as my Miata

And Forza won't let you take the top off... ;)

Yeah that always bugged me :mad:

2003 Baja 5MT

What day were you at Laguna Seca?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

This week I noticed the Miata was leaking coolant and based on its location I suspected it was the water pump. When I dropped the 1.8 into my car I cheaped out and didn't put a new water pump on at the same time I did the timing belt, so it appears it game back to haunt me. However it turned out be fortuitous because as I got all the timing covers off I discovered the intake cam was off a tooth. I also happened to pick up a used throttle body last week so I threw that on too. Now the car feels like a whole different car, where as the car used to only really work best from 3000 to 5500 RPM now it pulls much harder across the entire rev range and will easily hit redline now. It was a long day of working on the car, but absolutely worth it!

2003 Baja 5MT