Bought a Miata

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice deal. I've been watching a couple on fleaBay... I think I'd prefer a VVT motor, but if the right deal shows up on an earlier one, I'd take it. Still a couple months away from pulling the trigger...

I wanted to stay away from the VVT motor because of smog issues in CA... As it is I'm pushing my luck with the 1.8L swap.... I'd really like to find a 99-00 head in the future though in my research they help a lot with hp and torque.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

With OBDI, is it just a visual and sniffer? I doubt they'd even notice the VVT... And aren't you OK transplanting any later motor, as long as the emissions equipment for that year is intact?

With OBDI, is it just a visual and sniffer? I doubt they'd even notice the VVT... And aren't you OK transplanting any later motor, as long as the emissions equipment for that year is intact?

Yes, but the state considers the ECU as part of the emissions equipment and I really don't want to swap in the OBDII from a 96 car. I'm more concerned about visual inspection over the sniffer

2003 Baja 5MT

The TRM wheels are nice, and I considered them before deciding on the Konigs.

The current wisdom is 15x8 for a 205/50-15 and 15x9 for 225/45-15 if you're going to track or autoX.

If I eventually go to 15x9, I'll probably pony up for 6ULs... Note that you won't be able to use the 15x9 without having aftermarket coilovers (2.5" springs).

See I think I want to stay with springs and shocks so I know 15x9 isn't an option. The reason I was leaning towards 15x7.5 is because I can fit them without any modifications to the fenders. Most 15x8 are in the +20 range and tire rack says it requires fender rolling or other modifications. 205's on a 7.5" wheel is still a good fit.

2003 Baja 5MT

I did roll my fenders...

Different tires vary considerably, even in the 'same' size. My Dunlop ZIIs in 205/50-15 are about the same size as the 195/50-15 S-Drives I had on the car previously. They are almost an inch narrower than the 205/50-15 NT-01s I have for the track (on the same wheels).

BTW, I have not been as impressed with the ZII's as I thought I would be. They're just not as grippy as I had expected them to be.

6UL is more money than I really want to spend, consider that I got the car for $650 and it's supposed to be somewhat of a budget toy that will see occasional track duty.

This has been my logic so far... but I still think I'm going to buy Xida coilovers at some point, LOL.

And even the cheap(er) stuff adds up fast. I think I'm in over $6k, and I got the car for free! (long story...)