LegacyGT.com

Your OWN innovations that actually HELP performance in some way

What do you want them to do? Go faster or have more torque?

Well with a 6 axle unit that weighs 416,000lbs we can get a peak starting tractive effort of around 150,000-170,000lbs although the theoretical rating is higher. However, if there were a way to maintain this starting effort while boosting the tractive effort available at say 45-50mph that would be great since they are only making around 20,000lbs of tractive effort at that speed.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It could be fun! Just think how awesome it is when you get a locked up pinion gear or a burned up armature on one of your slot cars, and scale it up to something that probably weights as much as a car! Good times let me tell you.

It could be fun! Just think how awesome it is when you get a locked up pinion gear or a burned up armature on one of your slot cars, and scale it up to something that probably weights as much as a car! Good times let me tell you.

I have a buddy that works for the railroad (I think it was Conrail) in Elkhart IN and back in about 1996 or so, I helped him do a few things on rebuilding one of the diesels because he was stuck, but I wasn't even supposed to be in there. He got assigned to the rep track and had only experience with 2-stroke dirt bike engines, so it was a rude awakening for him...LOL.

Well if he made it work he probably had a good career, just have to remember that everything is bigger and heavier than you would be used to (unless you had prior experience on working with marine diesels, or mining equipment). Plus, hey EMD motors are 2 stroke diesels, even if they do have valves (exhaust valves only).

Well with a 6 axle unit that weighs 416,000lbs we can get a peak starting tractive effort of around 150,000-170,000lbs although the theoretical rating is higher. However, if there were a way to maintain this starting effort while boosting the tractive effort available at say 45-50mph that would be great since they are only making around 20,000lbs of tractive effort at that speed.

When you move from a standing position, do the traction wheels spin or do they grip? Is the tractive effort based on dyno results from actual torque pulls when they are built or is it just an estimated figure from the manufacturer of the locomotive based on the specs of the electric motors they build? Do you see a huge increase from a new one versus one that's been in use for a while?

I'm not terribly familiar with A/C electric motors but my guess is that if you were to retard the timing slightly between the motor brushes and the commutator, it will result in more torque. 3 degrees makes a HUGE difference in a slot car motor for torque versus speed. Increasing the timing makes a slot car much less violent off the turns and have a higher end of straightaway speed while decreasing makes them pull off of the turns much harder but requires much more concentration to drive.

Starting tractive effort is measured by the locomotive believe it or not pretty accurately by various sensors built into the traction control system. They are also measured before delivery by operating the engine pulling a dynamometer car, and performing various self loading tests. Sometimes there is wheel slip starting on slick rail with a heavy train or from ham fisted used of the throttle, but this can be mitigated with sanders and by using the independent locomotive brakes on the wheels to settle them down.

We also use DC traction motors on a lot of locomotives, but for heavy haul operations like the unit coal trains I am usually running the preferred motor is AC since they make more torque and are far more durable.

Starting tractive effort is measured by the locomotive believe it or not pretty accurately by various sensors built into the traction control system. They are also measured before delivery by operating the engine pulling a dynamometer car, and performing various self loading tests. Sometimes there is wheel slip starting on slick rail with a heavy train or from ham fisted used of the throttle, but this can be mitigated with sanders and by using the independent locomotive brakes on the wheels to settle them down.

We also use DC traction motors on a lot of locomotives, but for heavy haul operations like the unit coal trains I am usually running the preferred motor is AC since they make more torque and are far more durable.

Sounds incredibly complicated but I would really dig seeing it sometime in action. I'm sure the AC motors make more torque because of many segmented armatures and electrically activated fields versus permanent magnet fields on the DC motors. It sounds like you know your stuff on this and other than the fact that it's 2:19 a.m. here and I MUST hit the bed, I would like to know more. You mentioned coal trains and that must mean SE (West Virginia or Carolinas?) or West (Colorado or Utah?).

Gotta hit it. Take care.

I run from Edgemont, SD on the empties to Gillette, WY and back on the loads. Most of the mines are in the Gillette area.

The largest coal mining area in the US is in Campbell County Wyoming, at least by sheer tonnage of coal being mined.

We also handle plenty of regular old freight and intermodal trains, but mostly coal trains and the occasional grain train.

holy carp... trains and splitters aside, that slot car video is earth-shatteringly boring. almost as bad as olympic walking.

Well, I'm sure between you, hipsterdoofus, and MasAyinde, you could easily dominate slot cars due to your superior intellect and obvious far superior mechanical abilities...LMAO. You couldn't even make one of the cars go around one lap and I'll prove that to you and video it and post it on here for enough money, but it's always good to have a comment now and again from the peanut gallery. It's great that you actually watched the video. A victory for me in 6:03 of all of your lifetimes. Too hilarious.

The absolute funniest thing is how much effort you've given to try to bash me and you keep coming back for more. Your complete lack of knowledge and stupidity are only matched by your absolute determination in trying to accomplish something that none of you alone are able to do and even with the three of you combined, it's a pathetically weak effort at very best.

Here's a couple of quote for you to live by. These are by very famous people but I doubt you'll recognize the names. Maybe you could ask someone and they could tell you who these people are. :lol:

It is much easier to be critical than correct.-Benjamin Disraeli

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you know nothing about.-Dr. Wayne Dyer

It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.-Mark Twain (between the three of you, one of you may even know who he is. He wrote Tom Sawyer....Just an FYI ;)).

Enjoy ! !

Thanks for the quotes, it really livened my day up with inspiration.

Well, (dusting off hands), my work here must be done then. I've livened up Ripemeat's day so I've accomplished all I set out to do.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...I'm just joshing you. I'll stick around on and off throughout the day just to piss off dudeondacouch, hipsterdoofus and MasAyinde and see what kind of comments the Stooges have throughout the day....LMAO...:lol::lol::lol:

Well, (dusting off hands), my work here must be done then. I've livened up Ripemeat's day so I've accomplished all I set out to do.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...I'm just joshing you. I'll stick around on and off throughout the day just to piss off dudeondacouch, hipsterdoofus and MasAyinde and see what kind of comments the Stooges have throughout the day....LMAO...:lol::lol::lol:

You must be new here...

Thanks for the quotes, it really livened my day up with inspiration.

Agreed. It would take a serious case of autism to find that video entertaining.

The funniest thing about you is that you asked a legitimate question in a PM and I gave you a legitimate answer. I also am still waiting for the photos of your RX-7 intercooler re-fit because I am seriously interested in what you did and how you did it.

Remember this:

Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your OWN reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.-George Washington

[/url]

You must be new here...

I've been a member of this "association" for a long time, just haven't chosen to engage much until recently. I've learned a lot from the threads and also have seen some incredibly stupid things posted too, many of them within this thread....LMAO.

Archived