LegacyGT.com

Ask the Tuner Thread!

BrenTuning

Hey Bren. Currently stage 2 on my 09 5 speed LGT. invidia catted dp, grimmspeed ebcs, tuned.

I'm trying to decide if an ELH is worth the money. It's my daily, so I don't want to touch the fuel or turbo right now. I'm looking to gain the most "usable" power, as in mid range hp/tq, VERY rarely does it see 5k rpm. There's such contradicting info out there from "gains 30 hp on lightly modded" to "doesn't do anything unless your running an FPred."

So being stage 2, what have you seen as a realistic power gain? And if not an ELH, any recommendation?

Thanks man

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Bren. Currently stage 2 on my 09 5 speed LGT. invidia catted dp, grimmspeed ebcs, tuned.

I'm trying to decide if an ELH is worth the money. It's my daily, so I don't want to touch the fuel or turbo right now. I'm looking to gain the most "usable" power, as in mid range hp/tq, VERY rarely does it see 5k rpm. There's such contradicting info out there from "gains 30 hp on lightly modded" to "doesn't do anything unless your running an FPred."

So being stage 2, what have you seen as a realistic power gain? And if not an ELH, any recommendation?

Thanks man

Your VF46 is more a of choking point than the stock manifold, yes you will pick up more torque and a little midrange. But the bang for the buck ratio is very low.

Thanks man, thats what I figured, So at this point I guess the next step would be vf52, 16g on stock fuel I guess? Fuel would clearly be the limiting factor, but as my daily I dont want to to get too crazy, as much as I would love to be able to.

Thanks man, thats what I figured, So at this point I guess the next step would be vf52, 16g on stock fuel I guess? Fuel would clearly be the limiting factor, but as my daily I dont want to to get too crazy, as much as I would love to be able to.

Yup either of those would be what I would recommend for you turbo wise. Both have similar spool up times to the VF46, here's an example of the powerband changes http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4310662&postcount=6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
A BNR16g or VF52 would be what you are looking for.

A downpipe will definitely open it up. But your list seems fine for what you are asking.

We've done a handful with a similar setup for customers who were just looking to have a more reliable car and weren't necessarily looking for a lot more performance.

Let us know if you decide on an e-tune, we would be more than happy to get your car running safely.

I finally bought an AP - just sent sales@brentuning.com an email.

I'm trying to planning my next step. WOuld like your thoughts on any thing i am forgetting or issues i will run into.

I plan on getting this turbo http://www.6starspeed.com/vf65tu.html Basically a very nice upgrade vf52 $1400

AVO Front mount intercooler $1300

AVO Turbo inlet $215

ID topfeed conversion with 850cc injectors $800

Grimmspeed ebcs $125

I'm trying to planning my next step. WOuld like your thoughts on any thing i am forgetting or issues i will run into.

I plan on getting this turbo http://www.6starspeed.com/vf65tu.html Basically a very nice upgrade vf52 $1400

AVO Front mount intercooler $1300

AVO Turbo inlet $215

ID topfeed conversion with 850cc injectors $800

Grimmspeed ebcs $125

Sounds like you've got everything!

We've been playing with the TurboSmart IWG lately and it's a nice little add on. Not a necessary one but doesn't hurt.

Planning on doing an up-pipe on my legacy, while i'm there what else should i be doing? wastegate, bpv?

ALso i have a throw together tool kit that most of the time gets the job done, what are the basics in your opinion for a good tuning/ auto tool kit?

A lot of people do the downpipe while it's off. I reccomend removing/replacing the banjo bolt filter. Check the turbo for shaft play as well.

Tool kit, a metric socket kit, boost leak tester ect

Sweet would A holy header be a good ad on and would an ETS be a better upgrade than the avo?

A good ELH does wonders. The KillerB Holy Header is a real nice piece, along with the Invidia 1.5scroll header. We recommend the Invidia option to a lot of people due to it's great results and price point.

Either FMIC will work just fine. Both are quality pieces.

Hi all. This is possibly rude but I don't mean to be. I am looking for some unbiased information about some track logs that a fellow forum member for another car forum site posted recently. You see...I am new to mods and tuning and we have a canned tune that may or may not be causing some problems. You know how forums can get and people are starting with accusations and blaming each other with very little talk about the facts. So I have some data a fellow member gathered on their tuned car from a recent track run. Would someone with knowledge mind taking a look at it and provide some feedback about what they see? Is there anything that stands out as worrisome, good, or other? Thanks for the consideration in advance. I've attached a excel/csv file with boost/vacuum, intake air temp, AFR, wot, RPM, MPH, Ambient Air Temp, Engine Coolant Temp, Timing Advance, and Torque Converter Slip. I just don't really know what I am looking at to analyze it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzEvtQDZiV5gNmJQcEg1T28xR2s/edit?usp=sharing

Hi all. This is possibly rude but I don't mean to be. I am looking for some unbiased information about some track logs that a fellow forum member for another car forum site posted recently. You see...I am new to mods and tuning and we have a canned tune that may or may not be causing some problems. You know how forums can get and people are starting with accusations and blaming each other with very little talk about the facts. So I have some data a fellow member gathered on their tuned car from a recent track run. Would someone with knowledge mind taking a look at it and provide some feedback about what they see? Is there anything that stands out as worrisome, good, or other? Thanks for the consideration in advance. I've attached a excel/csv file with boost/vacuum, intake air temp, AFR, wot, RPM, MPH, Ambient Air Temp, Engine Coolant Temp, Timing Advance, and Torque Converter Slip. I just don't really know what I am looking at to analyze it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzEvtQDZiV5gNmJQcEg1T28xR2s/edit?usp=sharing

Hi,

Did a quick google search of your forum name, is it right to assume this car is a Optima? Without having dug into an ECU and see what the car likes it's hard to judge it. It does look like something we'd see from a stock ECU though.

Yes, it is an Optima. Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that more data would be needed in order to analyze the log accurately. This log is from a car that was running a 93 octane tune flashed on the ECU. The latest comments over there on our forum are pointing to the only changes being made to the ECU appear to be to AFR and boost. It appears none are being made to timing by the company that sells the tune. The company is, of course, working on it behind closed doors and the forum members are trying to reverse engineer how the tune works to help assess the problems it may be causing and, if so, why it's causing problems. Then you throw in variables such as aftermarket performance mods to boot. I'm new to all of this so was just trying to get an outside opinion. So it's interesting to hear you say that this looks like a stock ECU.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Bren, my buddy has a 4th gen that's completely stock except for a VF52 turbo. It was tuned for that turbo when it was installed, but he doesn't really know many of the details. He's considering swapping his uppipe for a catless version, so he doesn't blow his turbo in the event the cat goes bad. He's wondering if he'd need a new tune for this swap, or if he'd be fine with his initial tune (no plans for downpipe or other exhaust/intake mods... just the catless uppipe for peace of mind). What do you think?

• 2 months later...

I buy a 2005 LGT 5EAT two months ago, and just discover I have a TD04 turbo so I thinking on go to VF52 turbo I already remove cat from uppipe and ordered a Invidia Catless Downpipe and 3" catback exhaust but we don't have goods tuner on Dominican Republic, there is any way I can use the VF52 for a month without problem until a tuner come to tune my car?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I buy a 2005 LGT 5EAT two months ago, and just discover I have a TD04 turbo so I thinking on go to VF52 turbo I already remove cat from uppipe and ordered a Invidia Catless Downpipe and 3" catback exhaust but we don't have goods tuner on Dominican Republic, there is any way I can use the VF52 for a month without problem until a tuner come to tune my car?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would hold off till you have a date set with a tuner. But if you must throw it on, loop the wastegate so you only run waste gate pressure.

Another option is we could set you up with a Cobb AccessPort and tune you remotely.

• 4 weeks later...

Tomei UEL headers/up, invidia catless dp, GFB 50/50 bov....do I need an e-tune from you or will I be okay with the stage 2 tune on the access port...keep in mind it's the version 1 AP. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Archived