LegacyGT.com

Ask the Tuner Thread!

BrenTuning

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Garrett 3076 BB. Sitting around I would like to install it but I am not looking for big hp numbers. It's an OEM fit. I know I will need FM intercooler and fuel system upgrades. Like wise I got a deal on it an used it on my Sentra turbo project and the turbo is healthy. Everyone I have contacted said its a waste of time but if its BB wouldn't the turbo be much more responsive. It's a 60 trim internal wasted.

BB being the only way to spool a turbo fast is kind of a way of the past. With new XTR / HTA style fin technology we are getting amazing spool from journal bearing turbos. Subaru motors were never really overachievers in the spool department based off the exhaust design but the twin scroll setups really kick ass. I love me some GT3071/76 though.

Your Sentra turbo used Subaru OEM uppipe flanges?

Yep built my own custom suby iem flange setup. The xtr is that where the turbine fins change angles. So no need for waste gate. Soo is this 3076 going to give me bigger torque peak hp.

No idea with your turbo, and how the wastegate is currently setup.

The 3076 would make bigger peak HP.

At what power levels is a header recommended?

On an EWG dump tube: Is performance hindered if the tube is routed back into the DP?

I like headers on Stage2 setups, certain brands make great power.

Yes it is hindered unless it goes very far down, to nearly the catback flange, we've tested this a few years ago. Better off with a larger hotside.

So let's say I had an eventual approximate power goal of around ~386awhp (which should be just about double stock, and I assume over 400-420awtq, which ought to at least double stock torque as well?)

At this power level, I feel like I probably need machining and new pistons/forged internals and a rebuild, etc. If I'm at stage 2 now and I wanted to go to stage 3 in the interim and hold off on an engine rebuild for at least a year or longer, can you recommend a good turbo to handle both those applications?

Can I get a bit bigger turbo and limit the boost effectively in the tune to a safe power level for stock internals and then turn it up to 11 (Spinal Tap 11, not 11lbs of boost) with an engine rebuild by our friends at Motive?

Will the spool be too unbearable at the lower, stage 3 power level? I sort of feel like you really want to get the smallest turbo that will effectively meet one's power goals to keep spool as quick as possible. Perhaps what I'm asking is: what's the biggest/best turbo you can use with a top mount (Process West) and can I eventually get to 386 at the wheels with it?

Have on the car:

Cobb catted downpipe

Cobb solid uppipe

Borla catback

stock vf40 frankenturbo

Process West intercooler

Grimmspeed EBCS

Forge BPV

Brentune stage 2ish

Have in the garage (not on the car yet):

Borla unequal length headers

Will need at Stage 3?

Intake?

Turbo - am I crazy to covet a BB turbo

Injectors - DW850? 1000?

Fuel pump - DW65c?

Brentune stage 3ish

Will need for 386awhp:

forged internals, rebuild, etc.

Turbo from above fits this profile too?

Brentune stage whateverish

So let's say I had an eventual approximate power goal of around ~386awhp (which should be just about double stock, and I assume over 400-420awtq, which ought to at least double stock torque as well?)

At this power level, I feel like I probably need machining and new pistons/forged internals and a rebuild, etc. If I'm at stage 2 now and I wanted to go to stage 3 in the interim and hold off on an engine rebuild for at least a year or longer, can you recommend a good turbo to handle both those applications?

Can I get a bit bigger turbo and limit the boost effectively in the tune to a safe power level for stock internals and then turn it up to 11 (Spinal Tap 11, not 11lbs of boost) with an engine rebuild by our friends at Motive?

Will the spool be too unbearable at the lower, stage 3 power level? I sort of feel like you really want to get the smallest turbo that will effectively meet one's power goals to keep spool as quick as possible. Perhaps what I'm asking is: what's the biggest/best turbo you can use with a top mount (Process West) and can I eventually get to 386 at the wheels with it?

Have on the car:

Cobb catted downpipe

Cobb solid uppipe

Borla catback

stock vf40 frankenturbo

Process West intercooler

Grimmspeed EBCS

Forge BPV

Brentune stage 2ish

Have in the garage (not on the car yet):

Borla unequal length headers

Will need at Stage 3?

Intake?

Turbo - am I crazy to covet a BB turbo

Injectors - DW850? 1000?

Fuel pump - DW65c?

Brentune stage 3ish

Will need for 386awhp:

forged internals, rebuild, etc.

Turbo from above fits this profile too?

Brentune stage whateverish

A dom1.5xtr 10cm should get you close enough to your goals. Very fast spool and pulls hard to redline.

850cc injectors and a fuel pump would be needed.

A set of pistons would be great for longevity since your starting to gamble with the OEM ones life at this power level.

Here is a 07 WRX we did with a similar setup. His FMIC set up helps a lot, but we should be able to get pretty close to your goal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMUtsqGLKgQ]BrenTuning 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Dom1.5XTR 395whp/385wtq - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a 2011 TMIC dom1.5xtr STI. Keep in mind the DAVCS in newer (08+) STI's changes things up a bit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-WCMPVQTCY]BrenTuning 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Dom1.5XTR 409whp/410wtq - YouTube[/ame]

This STI is setup a let more conservative boost wise as it's a road course car.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0OM4flbTss]BrenTuning 2007 Subaru WRX STI Dom1.5XTR 373whp/431wtq - YouTube[/ame]

• 4 months later...

Bren,

Currently on the car: Invidia dp, magnaflow catback, sti upipe. Cobb AP stage 2 OTS tuned, but I have Process west tmic, cobb xle bpv, and grimmspeed ebcs that not yet install. Do I need to get a fuel pump and injectors?

My goal is around 300hp and the car is DD..do I need a tune after I install everything or could I just get by with a E-tune from you? Also do I really need the AP once the car is tuned? I rarely use it now and what's the benefit AP?

Thank you

Kyle

Bren,

Currently on the car: Invidia dp, magnaflow catback, sti upipe. Cobb AP stage 2 OTS tuned, but I have Process west tmic, cobb xle bpv, and grimmspeed ebcs that not yet install. Do I need to get a fuel pump and injectors?

My goal is around 300hp and the car is DD..do I need a tune after I install everything or could I just get by with a E-tune from you? Also do I really need the AP once the car is tuned? I rarely use it now and what's the benefit AP?

Thank you

Kyle

Which turbo? If a VF40/46, you won't quite hit 300whp at stage2+. Stock injectors are fine with a VF40/46. The DW65c is a nice insurance item and is a drop in pump.

You can get rid of the AccessPort if you come down and get open source tuned by us. We DO NOT e-tune via OpenSource. The AccessPort can allow you to flip thru maps on the fly, for example our N54 customers can swap to an E85 map at the pump without having to drag out a laptop and cable. For our big power customers Cobb offers a nice speed density feature. You can also use the AP to datalog read codes ect.

Our E-Tunes include multiple revisions, it is not just a basemap and go deal. That's not how we operate. We want to get our customers cars running the best we can.

Hi, there's a shop down the street from me in Somersworth NH. One of the techs has an LGT wagon and runs an 18G without any fuel modifications and has a flash tune. Do you need to upgrade injectors for that size turbo? Obviously his car runs fine/fast without them... but is it safe?

Also, I know that you don't NEED an intake until you upgrade your turbo and get a pro-tune. I have the CAP and I have a K&N intake. I took the K&N out to be safe because of what I was told on the forum... can you run it with the K&N without any real problems, or is the K&N just a waste of money?

Hi, there's a shop down the street from me in Somersworth NH. One of the techs has an LGT wagon and runs an 18G without any fuel modifications and has a flash tune. Do you need to upgrade injectors for that size turbo? Obviously his car runs fine/fast without them... but is it safe?

Also, I know that you don't NEED an intake until you upgrade your turbo and get a pro-tune. I have the CAP and I have a K&N intake. I took the K&N out to be safe because of what I was told on the forum... can you run it with the K&N without any real problems, or is the K&N just a waste of money?

You can run that turbo on stock fueling if you severely limit the amount of boost/timing you are running. It would be leaving a lot on the table and make the turbo upgrade, in my opinion, a waste.

MAF scaling needs to be adjusted with any changes to the intake. Since you have an AccessPort we have the option of e-tuning that setup for you if you're interested. Along with our dyno and road tune packages.

^my mechanic actually runs a Godspeed? TD05 G16

on a Cobb STG1 MAP 5EAT

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

You can run that turbo on stock fueling if you severely limit the amount of boost/timing you are running. It would be leaving a lot on the table and make the turbo upgrade, in my opinion, a waste.

MAF scaling needs to be adjusted with any changes to the intake. Since you have an AccessPort we have the option of e-tuning that setup for you if you're interested. Along with our dyno and road tune packages.

I just need to make my way up to BrenTuning period. I just need to grab a few more parts first.

Which turbo? If a VF40/46, you won't quite hit 300whp at stage2+. Stock injectors are fine with a VF40/46. The DW65c is a nice insurance item and is a drop in pump.

You can get rid of the AccessPort if you come down and get open source tuned by us. We DO NOT e-tune via OpenSource. The AccessPort can allow you to flip thru maps on the fly, for example our N54 customers can swap to an E85 map at the pump without having to drag out a laptop and cable. For our big power customers Cobb offers a nice speed density feature. You can also use the AP to datalog read codes ect.

Our E-Tunes include multiple revisions, it is not just a basemap and go deal. That's not how we operate. We want to get our customers cars running the best we can.

I have stock turbo and I was planning to get an E-tune from you. Correct me if I'm wrong, I could sell my AP and get an E-tune from you with the setup I have? I'm not really looking for great number, just to accommodate the parts I have. Also how do E-tuning work?

Thanks

Etunes from Bren are for the AccessPort only. He emails you the rom and you put it on the AP and then load it to the car via the married AP. If you want an open source tune, you gotta do that in person (regardless of whether you dyno tune or road tune only). Enjoy!

^my mechanic actually runs a Godspeed? TD05 G16

on a Cobb STG1 MAP 5EAT

In that case, he's fine with stock fueling. Though the Cobb Stage1 OTS map is not optimized for a 16G.

I just need to make my way up to BrenTuning period. I just need to grab a few more parts first.

Let us know!

I have stock turbo and I was planning to get an E-tune from you. Correct me if I'm wrong, I could sell my AP and get an E-tune from you with the setup I have? I'm not really looking for great number, just to accommodate the parts I have. Also how do E-tuning work?

Thanks

We only E-Tune through the AP. Provides a secure connection between us and the customer.

Basic run down is, we send you a basemap setup for you're modifications that you load into your AP and flash onto the car. Then you go out and do a pull while data logging. Send us the info and we modify the map till everything is optimized. We have a detailed instruction PDF we send you with the purchase of an E-Tune that will walk you thru the process.

Hi Bren

I understand the basic advantages of an e-tune vs an OTS tune, but without giving away any trade secrets could you tell me some areas in which your tuning strategy differs from the Cobb OTS tune, specifically for the 5th gen cars. I understand the ECU in the 5th gen does things a bit differently than the earlier models, and wanted to know how you handle these changes. I just have started playing with an AP and OTS stage I tune for my 2011 and am considering an e-tune or dyno tune in the near future.

OTS tunes are generic and can be run on basically any car with improvement. A custom tune would be dialed in to your car specifically. All variables are accounted for including specific mods, driving style, weather etc. Bren has been killing it with the 5th gens up here so just pull the trigger if you are thinking about it

Do you think there are any gains to be had with the larger TMIC (that other 5th gens are using) with the stock exhaust?

It'll help, the stock TMIC's just don't flow as good as an aftermarket option.

Hi Bren

I understand the basic advantages of an e-tune vs an OTS tune, but without giving away any trade secrets could you tell me some areas in which your tuning strategy differs from the Cobb OTS tune, specifically for the 5th gen cars. I understand the ECU in the 5th gen does things a bit differently than the earlier models, and wanted to know how you handle these changes. I just have started playing with an AP and OTS stage I tune for my 2011 and am considering an e-tune or dyno tune in the near future.

A lot of it is in the way we tune the timing tables.

Of course our maps are also built for your car specifically, not just a generic flash that is "safe". We also touch a lot of other tables in the ECU that we have found through dyno testing that create power and increase driveablitly.

BTW, here's a thread showing our gains over the Cobb Maps.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brentuning-2010-legacy-gt-custom-tune-198652.html

Archived