LegacyGT.com

Ask the Tuner Thread!

BrenTuning

from this learning view, does it seem to be normal (running on stock map)

has avo panel filter and stock intake, or indicative of a leak somewhere?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4876471&postcount=14

thanks in advance

Wouldn't hurt to do a boost leak test. We like to see the A/F learning within 5% either direction. It's not horribly off though.

Well since diamond pistons are so close I've been looking into billet pistons . Im looking to get up into the 500to 550 range . I also have a 5eat any sugestions on beef ups for it?

For that range, I recommend doing rods as well.

As for building the transmission, the only place that I'm aware of building the 5eat is IPT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if a car is tuned for stage2 (uppipe, downpipe) .. and then a CBE is added, is it really necessary to have the car returned?

was thinking of going this route, but would want to avoid additional expense of a retune...would it just be better to wait until have CBE also and then get tune done?

if a car is tuned for stage2 (uppipe, downpipe) .. and then a CBE is added, is it really necessary to have the car returned?

was thinking of going this route, but would want to avoid additional expense of a retune...would it just be better to wait until have CBE also and then get tune done?

Catbacks do not affect the tune at that level

• 2 weeks later...

Question regardig duty cycle of fuel system. What's the limit of the oe fuel injectors or why won't the duty cycle of oem injectors run past 47% , fuel pump will run up to 100% pending load, and running a OTS stage 2 tune. All oem fuel system. I know it should get a proper tune, but it's been fine this far, how come it won't continue to compensate for the added air flow?

Have a spt intake and avo Inlet and catless pipes. Stock header and crossover and catback. Stock tmic and so forth. Curiousity. 2006 LGT . 143k, all oe.

Also any insight on what kind of latency and wp values I should be seeing?

Would a larger set of injectors or high volume fuel pump make compensating for the air flow increase easier, granted tune still best bet .

• 2 weeks later...
Hey! I just got an E-Tune on 91 oct from you (very satisfied!) and was wondering if it's the same price for a second one on a different fuel type. I have access to 94 here and was wondering if it would worth it

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is crossing the line on questions related to tuning but...

I'm placing a GFB TMS Response BPV on and I'm wondering what to look for when it comes to helping the flow versus inhibiting. In other words, how do I know where the "sweet spot" is?

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm placing a GFB TMS Response BPV on and I'm wondering what to look for when it comes to helping the flow versus inhibiting. In other words, how do I know where the "sweet spot" is?

When under full boost you do not want it opening, you'll normally hear a squeal if it is set too soft. Also when letting off the throttle after hitting full boost you do not want any compressor surge, turkey call sort of noise.

I still want to get a retune. We're closing in on 3 years since my last tune. Time for a brush-up! I just wanted to get rid of my OSC plugs first. Any recs as to which plugs I should be running at my power level?

OSC when you are making ~100whp over stock. So in your setup I'd recommend OSC plugs. NGKs are preferred.

At the risk of being off the tuning topic, I installed a GFB TMS Respons BPV on my 05 OBXT last week and thought I had the spring pre-tension set properly. However, I noticed the other day that if the radiator fans kick on during idle, the BPV's piston opened slightly. An additional half turn of the hex screw on top appears to have prevented that effect. I'm currently having to run the GFB as atmospheric on a MAF tune (long story, yes I'm aware of the side effects/issues), so the opening of the piston in this manner was causing idle/idle fuel trim issues.

• 1 month later...

2005 LGT Wagon 5MT

-Cobb AP with OTS Map

-Stock engine otherwise

-89K miles (2nd owner purchased at 70k)

-Have never checked banjo bolt

-oil change every 3500 since purchase

Goals: fun smooth daily driver. No autocross, track, etc.

-Upgrade path:

Invidia Up pipe

Invidia down pipe

Pro tune local or e-tune

Question?

Do you recommend upgrading the turbo at the same time as up pipe/downpipe/ tune? I am considering something small like a BNR16.

2005 LGT Wagon 5MT

-Cobb AP with OTS Map

-Stock engine otherwise

-89K miles (2nd owner purchased at 70k)

-Have never checked banjo bolt

-oil change every 3500 since purchase

Goals: fun smooth daily driver. No autocross, track, etc.

-Upgrade path:

Invidia Up pipe

Invidia down pipe

Pro tune local or e-tune

Question?

Do you recommend upgrading the turbo at the same time as up pipe/downpipe/ tune? I am considering something small like a BNR16.

Upgrading from the VF40 is always a good thing reliability wise. Seeing how low your mileage is you should still have some life in the VF40. EVO316Gs and VF52s are great replacement choices.

• 2 months later...
Hey Bren, you e-tuned my car about a year ago when I had a pretty restrictive catted downpipe that was on the car when I bought it. I just installed a catless downpipe and wanted to know if this would change anything with my previous tune, like quicker spool or overboost issues I could come across. Thanks for any info you can provide!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

• 2 months later...

What's the best way to "de-tune" a map for break-in?

I've tried halfing the DAM table, zeroing out the WGDC table...

I tried importing stock WGDC table values, but that was pretty ineffective and led to boost cut the other night. :redface:

Should I mess with boost targets?

Lots of options, just wondering what's the best way. :)

Read your initial statement. And ignoring part of it... I have a tune that I like from a local tuner. However, in the course of replacing the HG, I've made just enough tweaks (740 to 850 injectors, tgv deletes, bigger radiator, etc) that an adjustment to part of the tune is necessary.

Is this something you'd be willing to do?

Can you please recommend a proven clutch setup for 350hp/350tq power range with the WRX SMFW? Highly prefer chatter-free.

Exedy Stage 1

What's the best way to "de-tune" a map for break-in?

I've tried halfing the DAM table, zeroing out the WGDC table...

I tried importing stock WGDC table values, but that was pretty ineffective and led to boost cut the other night. :redface:

Should I mess with boost targets?

Lots of options, just wondering what's the best way. :)

Zero out the WGDC, essentially shutting off your boost controller. Then knowing the proper scaling for your injectors (if aftermarket)

Read your initial statement. And ignoring part of it... I have a tune that I like from a local tuner. However, in the course of replacing the HG, I've made just enough tweaks (740 to 850 injectors, tgv deletes, bigger radiator, etc) that an adjustment to part of the tune is necessary.

Is this something you'd be willing to do?

If you have an AccessPort we can send you a basemap for a MAF setups.

Neil@BrenTuning

Is it completely safe to run the Cobb OTS Stage 2 93 map with these modifications: Grimmspeed uppipe, Invidia Downpipe, Grimmspeed Top mount intercooler, and Hexmods valvebody modification? I would like to hold off on a pro tune until I go stage 3 as I'll need a tune for the new turbo anyway. I'm from upstate NY and am planning on having my car tuned at Bren tuning. Do you think it is possible to have the new turbo installed and tune the car all in one day? I will be installing the injectors and pump.

U can't install injectors without a tune. All the stage two parts are fine with cobb ots map just know a protune is nothing like the ots maps.

May car has blipped 25psi due to a dp divider issue. ie divider is holding the wastegate closed and my tune by bren is the only reason it didn't blow.

Is it completely safe to run the Cobb OTS Stage 2 93 map with these modifications: Grimmspeed uppipe, Invidia Downpipe, Grimmspeed Top mount intercooler, and Hexmods valvebody modification? I would like to hold off on a pro tune until I go stage 3 as I'll need a tune for the new turbo anyway. I'm from upstate NY and am planning on having my car tuned at Bren tuning. Do you think it is possible to have the new turbo installed and tune the car all in one day? I will be installing the injectors and pump.

We can send you a basemap for your AP to get you here when you install your turbo/fuel system.

Your current list should be fine on the OTS mapping.

Neil@BrenTuning

Archived