LegacyGT.com

Ask the Tuner Thread!

BrenTuning

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In your experience what is the most reliable stage 2 setup? Of course catless uppipe and catted or catless downpipe. Do you find a boost controller helps? What else is a good idea for stage 2?

Also, do you prefer the AVO or Perrin TMIC?

In your experience what is the most reliable stage 2 setup? Of course catless uppipe and catted or catless downpipe. Do you find a boost controller helps? What else is a good idea for stage 2?

Also, do you prefer the AVO or Perrin TMIC?

As stated the catless up pipe and downpipe of choice. Stock boost controllers are fine for a basic stage 2 setup.

Either BP mod your TMIC or run an aftermarket intercooler. Both Perrin and AVO perform about the same.

Adding a fuel pump helps as well as these cars aren't new anymore and the factory pump could be a little tired.

Bren, I'm working on installing a few parts now so i can finally take a trip to your shop. I'll be running a JMT 20G, CNT DP, Grimmspeed UP & CP, K&N Typhoon intake, and a CNT CBE. I need to know what size injectors i'll need, and what to get for a fuel pump. I've been told that the DW65C is the pump i need... and to go for 620cc or higher for injectors? What do you recommend for moderate power? I'm looking for safe & reliable power. LGT has 142k, dont need to grenade it just yet. Also i was told to ask you about the FMS TMIC. I was told that you believe in them and that it'll do what i need it to. Does the FMS TMIC for an 08+ fit the LGT too? Last but not least what kind of whp should i expect? (I always run 93 at the pump.)

Thanks in advance

Understood... just can't see spending over a G on something as ridiculous as an AVO on DD street car. Stock turbos got play all around... time for an upgrade. $400 was a great deal for a 20G with a warranty:). Do i buy an FMS TMIC for a late model WRX and make it fit? Are they the same as LGT?

Hey Bren, I've been running a Sgt2 AP OTS tune for a little over a year now. I have a CNT catless DP, Borla CBE, and a Perrin TMIC. As of now my car will backfire when shifting, and it jerks a little when spooling. How is the best way to go about getting an Etune from you guys, price, and how long for a revision?

Could you explain the process for creating logging files. Specifically, what do you perform a pull in a specific gear. What rpm to start what rpm to end. Can you give an indication of what speeds are necessary to obtain a good log file?

2005 Legacy GT 5MT wagon stock.

Goals: fun daily driver, fuel efficiency, drivability, reliability.

What is the best bang for the buck combination of up pipe, downpipe and other recommended parts for a stage 2 combined with an access port and Bren Tune that you are comfortable recommending.

Hey Bren, I've been running a Sgt2 AP OTS tune for a little over a year now. I have a CNT catless DP, Borla CBE, and a Perrin TMIC. As of now my car will backfire when shifting, and it jerks a little when spooling. How is the best way to go about getting an Etune from you guys, price, and how long for a revision?

I'll send you a PM in a minute :)

Could you explain the process for creating logging files. Specifically, what do you perform a pull in a specific gear. What rpm to start what rpm to end. Can you give an indication of what speeds are necessary to obtain a good log file?

When an etune is purchased we send you a detailed .pdf describing exactly what we are looking for in datalogs.

FMS tmics work, not as nice as the ProcessWest they copy but they work.

DW740cc injectors and DW65c pump.

Hard to guess on power numbers, some of those ebay turbos really under perform.

Bought an FMS TMIC and decided to go with a Kinugawa TD06 20G. I got the JMT 20G in the mail and there was so much play in the shaft it was ridiculous. It must have been off by several thousandths. What garbage!

I also bought a 3 port Grimmspeed Boost Solenoid. Can i put that in now before the tune, or will it F with the Cobb tune? I thought it was just supposed to regulate the boost consistancy and eliminate the creep.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I ended up changing from the Borla header and Perrin Big Tube UP to the Maddad header/UP combo and did a Perrin turbo inlet at the same time.

I don't have any knock, but from a crappy log I did it looks like my spool is crazy slow...vf52 hits 0psi at 2400rpm but doesnt reach peak untill 4000+. I'm guessing that this is a tuning issue, specifically WGDCs. Is that correct?

Edit: This is with the stock BCS

Are Turbo Dynamics values of 15 unusually high? That's what I was seeing from spool until I hit target boost way late...

Is it possible that I need to have my wastegate arm adjusted?

Maybe you're using a MickeyD tune? He uses that strategy where it ramps to 15 until peak boost then tapers to 5-10 as you approach redline.. I'm sure others do that as well.

Archived