LegacyGT.com

Installed Full Set of WRX pedals and deadpedal...Lot 'o Pics

GranTourer

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you live near a larger Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.? Go in and ask someone in tools to show you the punches. Bring the pedal assembly with you and size the punch to match the size of the hole.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread. I installed the brake, clutch and deadpedal yesterday, but didn't have the courage to try the gas pedal. Maybe it's becasue I did this after installing my Cobb STS and it was late.

I used the WD40 and upward pressure on the pedals method. The brake pedal went on easily, but I couldn't get the top lip on the clutch pedal to go. Maybe I'll try it another time, but it's pretty solid as is. The deadpedal was a PITA becasue I had to cut some of the fabric away to get the plastic pedal out, but the alum. one installed nice and snug with just the push pins, no glue needed.

This thread has helped alot in giving me the confidence to try the gas pedal. It's just I don't have another vehicle to run to Home Depot for hardware after I take the gas pedal assembly out. I like the idea of repalcing the pin with a 2" x 1/4" bolt and lock nut.

I have a cordless electric hammer. Do you think that would work better than using a conventional hammer to get the pin out? I need to get some punches though. The one I have is for setting finishing nails and the tip fits inside the pin.

Any extra advise from anyone's experience would be greatly appreciated. Especially where to press to get the wire harness disconnected.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed my WRX pedals tonight, I am very happy with them.

I had to fight with the brake and clutch pedals to get the top lips to correctly fit. But using a couple stubby screw drivers and some patience did the trick.

The stock dead pedal was much more secure then I thought it would be hah. I was totally surprised at how much glue was on that thing. But I just used a knife and cut it away, and then added some glue of my own for the WRX matching dead pedal.

Now the gas pedal.........

That pin was a huge pain in the ass to get out without wrecking anything. I ended up going with a bolt and lock washer like many to avoid having to deal with that stupid pin again and am satisfied that is the right choice. It even gives you adjustment for how stiff you would like your pedal to feel.

But, I feel like I may have bent my gas pedal in the process of hammering out the pin. I thought I was "careful" but with the gas pedal installed again it seems as if it hits the floor earlier then before. I may just be going crazy though.

EDIT: I read a few pages back and realized that the gas pedal does bottom out on the floor before it is fully depressed. So I'm glad it's not just mine.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to try replace the gas pedal this weekend.

I can follow the pics on the first post, but I was wondering if you unbolt the pedal assembly first and then unplug the wires or visa-versa. It seems there isn't enough space to get my hand in there to get the leverage to pull up on the plug.

What was your experience? Please let me know. I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

The first thing I did when I got my 05 wagon was de-badge the rear end.

Second thing was this pedal upgrade. Why Subaru would put nicer pedals in the WRX and leave rubbermaid junk in the HIGHER priced LGT is a little strange, but none the less easy enough fix.

BETTER WAY TO DO GAS PEDAL! - I shot the whole assembly with WD-40 and clamped the hell out of the pin with a set of vice grips. Spin the pin side to side first then pull outwards while continuing to spin. This ruins one end of the pin but as long as you use that end to hammer it back in, piece of cake. Had the old one off, new one on in 15 minutes.

Cheers,

R

• 1 month later...

Got my dead pedal in but I cannot for the life of me get the brake/clutch covers on.

I can slide the cover up over the pedal and I used a little hook tool to slip the top-center bit over the pedal, but I cannot for the life of me get the top corners to fit over. Without the corners over the top center just comes off.

Any tips? Thanks.

Got my dead pedal in but I cannot for the life of me get the brake/clutch covers on.

I can slide the cover up over the pedal and I used a little hook tool to slip the top-center bit over the pedal, but I cannot for the life of me get the top corners to fit over. Without the corners over the top center just comes off.

Any tips? Thanks.

It took me about 5-10 minutes per pedal using a small flat head screwdriver. I would put the screwdriver in (maybe 1/4") between the cover and pedal at a downward angle and then tilt the screwdriver back to pry the corner over the top of the pedal. You need to use your other hand to keep the center of the cover against the pedal or it will pop off each time you do a corner.

I tried heating the rubber up with a heat gun for my second attempt. It did not make a difference.

Anyone else have little black rubber dots fall off from the dead pedal? I have two missing so far, granted this thing is 6 years old.

Which one is the most similar to get again?

I installed my ProSport dead pedal back in Nov. I had at least 5 fall off within a weeek of using it. It's perplexing because I readlly don't put any pressure on it. I just rest my foot on it.

Well, I called Prosport and they sent me new rubber dots on two separate occasions, all which fell off within a week. I have a bunch of spares now that won't stick.

The only thing that works is apoxy. I used the one that has 2 tubes side-by-side and a plunger that mixes it correctly as it come out of the tube. I forget what brand, but I got it at Home Depot. So far it's still holding up.

Hope this helps.

To those that are having trouble getting the pedals on, I read in this thread or a different one (I don't remember) to spray WD40 on the back of the rubber, slide it on and then push down and then upward with your foot. My brake pedal went on instantly where the clutch took a little more effort, but they fit "like a glove".

• 4 months later...

received my pedals. the clutch and brake have black rubber stubs, but the gas pedal has plastic stubs. is this normal?

seems as though the gas pedal would suck in winter.

• 2 weeks later...
Found the dead pedal on eBay and will be ordering it soon. Still looking for a good automatic pedal kit. The ones for the 2010 legacies are awesome looking but I don't think they will fit. Will check out the new legacys next time I'm at the dealer and see if they're way different.

Archived