LegacyGT.com

Will we ever get the diesel engine?

dahoseman

And even if you compare the emissions figures between Europe and the US it really is no big difference compared to the real dirt spewed out by the shipping industry and diesel locomotives.

The point is to see when some solution is good enough. Some emission control tech causes emissions when it's manufactured and if that manufacturing and transport produces more than the gain of the tech it's at best a questionable solution.

453747.png

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ yea but i know a lot of 1990-97 2.2 cavaliers that got better than 35 mpg.

and a lot of it would be aerodynamics as highway mpg's are as affected by weight as much as wind resistance.

It would be interesting to see one of those Mazda engines in a cavalier.

My daughter has a 93 Delsol 1.5 liters of fiery with a manual transmission. When I got it, the previous owner had overheated it. Head was warped. So I shaved the head, found some used $20 chrome headers off ebay and put on a cold air intake. Not for power but for MPG. raised the compression by about 0.8. It does not even have power steering.

That little thing gets 42-43 in a suburban setting and she gets 50 MPG going to my parents house.

^ i dont think audi sells diesel and awd.. i only have seen the a3 tdi here and the a3 as far as i know is only fwd with the diesel.

the toureg came diesel and awd i believe but its stupid expensive.

Audi 2014 lineup for the US includes A6, A7, A8, Q5 and Q7 TDI models with quattro.

I am sure the next Gen A4 will also have the TDI engine.

I have enough drama for now.....

Yes, but it would have to be a manual. Is the Passat TDI automatic only in the US?

You can get it here with either 6MT or the 6-speed DSG.

From my point of view - a DSG box is an overly complicated solution to a problem better solved by a CVT.

453747.png

^ yea a lot of people complaining about jerky behavior of the 6 doppelcouplunggeratedingerdasistschises

the cvt uses a torque converter like a regular automatic.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Especially if the Passat will have a TDI.

Does the current generation not offer TDI? I haven't kept up on VW's much in the past decade. My brother still has a 1st gen Passat with the TDI.

I'm not surprised that VW's gearbox is a little 'janky'. Their auto trannies never seemed to be that well engineered.

From my point of view - a DSG box is an overly complicated solution to a problem better solved by a CVT.

Seriously? I've always wanted a Passat with a TDI, but never knew I could get one with a manual.

Does the current generation not offer TDI? I haven't kept up on VW's much in the past decade. My brother still has a 1st gen Passat with the TDI.

I'm not surprised that VW's gearbox is a little 'janky'. Their auto trannies never seemed to be that well engineered.

I was talking about the next generation. How's your brother's Passat holding up?

Is that from experience of actual driving a DSG or just arm-chair observation? The CVT was designed mainly for efficiency and smoothness, not performance or driving experience.

I have a DSG in my Golf TDI and it may has its 'quirks' but it's a blast to drive it in manual mode. I have driven it on a track and for autocross and it's fantastic. There is a youtube video out there filmed in Japan where they have 2 versions of the VW GTI - one with DSG and one with 6MT. 2 race car drivers took turns driving the different versions. DSG won both times. The DSG versions of VW offerings are also marginally more efficient than the manual versions.

I don't know if there is any manufacturer who offers the same car in CVT and manual for a similar comparison.

But comparing DSG to CVT is like comparing apples to giraffes!

I was talking about the next generation. How's your brother's Passat holding up?

He was a german car mechanic for a while, so he doesn't mind maintenance. The Passat has a few quirks and it breaks frequently, due to his modifications. He hot-rods most of his vehicles, including his TDI's. His old Jetta TDI actually ended up getting significantly better highway MPG after he put bigger injectors in and modified it a bit.... however that works.

from what i have herd any of the modern diesels if you remove the catalizer and do a tune you will improve mpgs by 20 + % as the modern diesels are also shooting in fuel at near bdc to heat the exhaust more. there are also a few other emissions related things it does like inject 5 times at various points to reduce engine noise etc.

so why i would like a subaru diesel .. because its good and torquie fun to drive.. feels like a turbo subaru maybe not the same total power but it has the turbo feel.

but more importantly for modifing it and getting even better mpgs and probably 230-250 hp out of it !

frank_ster, no offence to you but reading all your post in this thread from the last few pages simply made me go :spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:!

You have so much mis-information that it could be a full time job for me to address all of them.

To eliminate soot, there is a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) which traps the diesel particulates (soot). At certain intervals, diesel is injected into the DPF at high temps to burn off the soot. That process is called DPF Regen. It is against the law to remove the catalytic converter or the DPF. Doing so will result will yield better mpg but the car will emit a ton of soot. And if you don't care about getting cancer from breathing in all that carcinogenic fumes and getting lung cancer, you should do that all in the name of "20% + increased mpg".

frank_ster, no offence to you but reading all your post in this thread from the last few pages simply made me go :spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:!

You have so much mis-information that it could be a full time job for me to address all of them.

To eliminate soot, there is a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) which traps the diesel particulates (soot). At certain intervals, diesel is injected into the DPF at high temps to burn off the soot. That process is called DPF Regen. It is against the law to remove the catalytic converter or the DPF. Doing so will result will yield better mpg but the car will emit a ton of soot. And if you don't care about getting cancer from breathing in all that carcinogenic fumes and getting lung cancer, you should do that all in the name of "20% + increased mpg".

Regen can also kill a motor in some instances, not all motors though.

As you stated, the regent cycle consists of extra fuel being presented into the combustion chamber to be vaporized in order to create excess heat to travel to the DPF to burn off the accumulated soot. In a perfect world this would work and cause no issues. However, in many cases, not all of the fuel is vaporized and instead squeezes past piston rings and into the crank case. It is then mixed with the oil and dilutes the oil. Many times, this can be acceptable to a certain point but to stay on top of it you may have to cut your OCI down significantly. At this point it becomes a decision to change the oil frequently, which can get expensive, or risk replacing a motor or other critical parts down the road.

Personally, I chose to delete the DPF and EGR system on my truck as a new motor/turbo could cost nearly $10k. I don't hot rod my truck so I don't create excessive levels of soot or other carcinogens which is further assisted by running a clean, efficient tune.

He was a german car mechanic for a while, so he doesn't mind maintenance. The Passat has a few quirks and it breaks frequently, due to his modifications. He hot-rods most of his vehicles, including his TDI's. His old Jetta TDI actually ended up getting significantly better highway MPG after he put bigger injectors in and modified it a bit.... however that works.

I've heard the TDIs will last, and I've always been a Passat fan, so I was just wondering. Thanks.

different engines do it in different ways. the regen or burn off is nessasary because the egt temps are often to low to burn correctly. so the regen or burn off cycle is used.

others to preemptive management to maintain higher egt temperatures. so either later injection of fuel combined with a throttle plate to actually maintain sociometric air fuel ratio through out the rpm range and expecially at idle as even late 1980's mercedes diesels had linkage operated throttle plates ( that also was emergency kill) to raise egt temps to help prevent the bluish smoke at idle from crappy combustion.

the removing of catlizer is illegal but half of the people on this site have already done .. ( actually always run a cat because i can )

the fact that diesel emissions causing cancer that's apparently only in California!

the 20% fuel economy would actually help with carbon footprint.

and since pretty much every 'murican has a diesel dually pickup with 36" tires and smoke stacks with the whole heartily desire to pump as much black smoke into the environment as possible .. me with a 2.0l diesel subaru getting 60+ mpg and with a tune that makes proper power with out the byproduct of black smoke. and the entire life of my said subaru would do less harm to the environment than one cold start of a train.. actually i think every diesel subaru in the world would do less harm than one cold start of a train!

i'm not an idealist i'm a realist .. there is something to be said for an extreme in both cases.

From time to time I do think about if it would be possible to do injection of E85 in the manifold of the diesel for moments where I want more punch.

Not sure if it's feasible though...

i think it would need a spark plug.

there are a lot of people injecting propane or even N2O in diesels to make a tonn of power ! so i think the potential is already there..

Is that from experience of actual driving a DSG or just arm-chair observation? The CVT was designed mainly for efficiency and smoothness, not performance or driving experience.

I have a DSG in my Golf TDI and it may has its 'quirks' but it's a blast to drive it in manual mode. I have driven it on a track and for autocross and it's fantastic. There is a youtube video out there filmed in Japan where they have 2 versions of the VW GTI - one with DSG and one with 6MT. 2 race car drivers took turns driving the different versions. DSG won both times. The DSG versions of VW offerings are also marginally more efficient than the manual versions.

I don't know if there is any manufacturer who offers the same car in CVT and manual for a similar comparison.

But comparing DSG to CVT is like comparing apples to giraffes!

the intent with all gear boxes to to keep the engine in the optimum rpm range for each particular engine load. there are pros and cons for each type.

the dsg is good for overall efficiency but its sucky at shifting. the kick down shifts are pretty lousy.

the cvt allows for real time "kickdown" as it allows the engine to rev immediately when you give throttle and it will go to exactly to where on the map that the engine has the greatest efficiency (not this gear or that gear and maybe decide to switch half way through).

the good thing with cvt is the torque converter that can also handle its own torque multiplication. so on a correctly set up combination the cvt would be able to launch harder. or get a heavier load moving quicker. but the cvt cars i have driven the final drive ratios are stupid. so they could be improved. for performacne application. i did like the nissian maxima cvt and engine combo and the "manual shifting" was real quick.

Archived