LegacyGT.com

Will we ever get the diesel engine?

dahoseman

Funny thing is that commercial is so very true. When my wife had our Jetti TDI, on more than one occasion she had a similar reaction from men trying to save her. Obliviously not as exaggerated.

I'm sure that happens. Not making fun of you so don't take this the wrong way. The Audi commercial must be a big public service announcement for idiots. That is nice of audi to do that for all the gas station attendants and people standing at bus stops. :lol::lol::lol: I wonder if they can deduct the cost of the commercial on their taxes? Maybe that is why it's running so much. :)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the problem is the other way around

Putting gas in a diesel is very bad.

Diesel in a gas car and it just won't run.

And the diesel filler tube is much bigger it doesn't fit into the gas filler tubes.

My boss's wife put gas in their 2010 tdi jetta and vw charged them 6 grand !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

And the diesel filler tube is much bigger it doesn't fit into the gas filler tubes.

Okay...maybe the commercial is a warning to Audi owners to make sure they don't ruin their diesels. Directed at the wives of the diesel owners... ;)

One of the reasons we ended up with a Legacy over a new CR TDI.

The VW CRs seem to be very sensitive to the quality of the fuel. Get some bad fuel and it's a 6-9k repair. While rare, I could;t take the chance on a fuel system that was that sensitive and cost 1/3 of the vehicle's initial cost to repair.

One of the reasons we ended up with a Legacy over a new CR TDI.

The VW CRs seem to be very sensitive to the quality of the fuel. Get some bad fuel and it's a 6-9k repair. While rare, I could;t take the chance on a fuel system that was that sensitive and cost 1/3 of the vehicle's initial cost to repair.

Diesels have always had problems with gasoline for two reasons.

1. Gasoline doesn't offer any lubrication of the mechanical parts.

2. Gasoline doesn't ignite as easily as diesel.

The first point is the most serious. However if you realize that you accidentally have filled gasoline in the tank and it's just a fraction of the complete volume you can add 2-stroke oil to the tank to retain the needed lubrication.

The second point means that the engine may fail to ignite and either stall or won't start. In that case you need to flush the system.

453747.png

well under load the piston temperature is plenty for auto ignition.

the gas was fireing quicker than diesel and basically detonation.

No, I mean how the hell did he accidentally put gas into his tank? The pump look and location is different, you need to choose an octane to start the pump, the smell is different when it pumps (if you don't have those smog things), etc.

No, I mean how the hell did he accidentally put gas into his tank? The pump look and location is different, you need to choose an octane to start the pump, the smell is different when it pumps (if you don't have those smog things), etc.

Yea I'm not sure how he did that ...

:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

Try this at your home. Fill 2 open containers - 1 with gasoline and the other with diesel.

Put a lighted match over the diesel and then over the gasoline.

Report back to let us know which one ignites easier. :lol:

I have enough drama for now.....

Yea I'm not sure how he did that ...

the fuel delivery truck brought him a tank of gas in his own bulktank instead of diesel and he never thought to check while pumping from his own bulk tank to his pick up truck.

:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

Try this at your home. Fill 2 open containers - 1 with gasoline and the other with diesel.

Put a lighted match over the diesel and then over the gasoline.

Report back to let us know which one ignites easier. :lol:

I was more concerning in the environment of the engine when you have the fuel in a pressurized environment - diesel has a lot lower "octane" rating than gasoline.

453747.png

Well I don't know the specifics of it but diesel doesn't ignite in a gasoline engine.

I think the auto ignition temperatures are different.

Gasoline evaporates and it's fume is very combustible but not the liquid it's self

Diesel is more of an oil and it doesn't tend to evaporate.

What I have herd is runnig gas into a Diesel engine usually ends up with broken pistons.

Diesel ignites due to the temperature rise caused by compression of the air. Any glow plugs are just there to help during cold conditions. When the engine is warm it may very well burn gasoline as well, but as you state - if you floor it you can get nice detonations nuking the engine. If you don't and just let it get some small amount of fuel the engine can survive.

Trying to start a cold diesel without glow plug on gasoline is probably futile, but it depends on the compression ratio and the octane rating of the gasoline. Low octane might ignite easier than high octane.

All that provided that the injection pump doesn't seize due to the lack of lubrication from gasoline.

453747.png

1. Gasoline doesn't offer any lubrication of the mechanical parts.

The first point is the most serious. However if you realize that you accidentally have filled gasoline in the tank and it's just a fraction of the complete volume you can add 2-stroke oil to the tank to retain the needed lubrication.

The second point means that the engine may fail to ignite and either stall or won't start. In that case you need to flush the system.

The Jetta's weren't suffering catastrophic failures from just gas fill ups, actually looking at the NTSB numbers is it happened more often with just plain shitty diesel.

Some pumps have different handles, one for diesel, one for gasoline and one for E85, at least around here. If you are a bit tired it's easy to pick the wrong one.

NEVER go by the color of the handle!

First trip across the country for me, I got used the gold handle being premium, stop mid way across and out of habit grabbed the gold handle. Went into pay and the attendant says ok that 20 gallons of Diesel. Luckily is was a 1969 Mustang, easy to drain the tank.

NEVER go by the color of the handle!

First trip across the country for me, I got used the gold handle being premium, stop mid way across and out of habit grabbed the gold handle. Went into pay and the attendant says ok that 20 gallons of Diesel. Luckily is was a 1969 Mustang, easy to drain the tank.

Here it's black for diesel, green for gasoline and blue for E85. Earlier we had red handles for leaded fuel but it was at least 20 or 25 years ago they went away.

453747.png

Here it's black for diesel, green for gasoline and blue for E85. Earlier we had red handles for leaded fuel but it was at least 20 or 25 years ago they went away.

So if you came here you'd be putting gas into your diesel since 'most' station diesel is Green.

• 5 weeks later...

^ Nah. That's probably just for the UK. Here is France for instance: http://subaru.fr/gamme/outback/Caracteristiques_Equipements_Outback.pdf

and here Norway http://www.subaru.no/prisliste

both offering 2.5i and 2.0D. Note the Norwegian price for the outback: FROM 495200 NOK equivalent to 80880 USD :eek: :eek: FYI, price for the Forester XT 680200 NOK (111000 USD)..

Archived