LegacyGT.com

Will we ever get the diesel engine?

dahoseman

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subaru is still tweaking their diesel. I'm thinking it still runs a little dirty. Does anyone know how much nitrous oxide Subaru diesels produce?

Depends on what you compare with, but the version I have conforms to the Euro 5 standard. It's possible that it's necessary to add a reagent to the exhaust to bring down the NOx in the future, which today is necessary on the big rigs. (It's artificial urine that's injected into the exhaust system where it reacts with the NOx and produces water and nitrogen.)

Another way around NOx is to have an EGR solution, and it may be sufficient. We'll see when they have to conform to the Euro 6 levels here. Maybe they will have both.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Euronorms_Diesel.png

Unfortunately the emissions standards between US and Europe aren't completely matching. EU has focused a lot on PM while the US has focused on NOx and that means that the engines needs to be tuned differently depending on market. It's not impossible to do, but it does cause some problems for manufacturers.

Add to that the fact that the quality of the diesel fuel may be different in the US compared to Europe.

453747.png

honestly, during this economy i can care less about emissions....how is the maintenance on you diesel nils? on my f350 super duty its pretty expensive

No idea yet - first three services are free, and I have one left.

453747.png

honestly, during this economy i can care less about emissions....how is the maintenance on you diesel nils? on my f350 super duty its pretty expensive

On any given day up to 1/3 of the pollutants and smog in the air is in Los Angeles is due to China. I don't understand what the smog nazi's are still on about. I'm all for the environment but seriously...

On any given day up to 1/3 of the pollutants and smog in the air is in Los Angeles is due to China. I don't understand what the smog nazi's are still on about. I'm all for the environment but seriously...

On one hand I can understand them, but on the other hand they are just creating a situation that is unnecessarily complex.

Looking at the CAFE regulations that are intended to keep down the fuel consumption - they are complex and with strange side effects. Like when the wheel base of a vehicle determines the permitted fuel consumption! :spin:

453747.png

In case you haven't noticed, I am a bit enamored with the Skyactiv engine, at least in theory. It doesn't need any of the pain-in-the-ass diesel air cleaning equipment to pass smog tests. I would be hard to add legislation to keep that design off our shores because it meets and exceeds all current and near-future regulations.

I am to. I think they still have some room for a Skyactiv II engines down the road.

I have an old corvette that I was trying to turn into my DD before I bought my legacy gt, I hacked up an old 327 engine with 12.8:1 compression, simple street cam and created my own electronic throttle body and custom control hardware/software. It worked pretty good for about 6 months. I was getting close to 30 MPG's driving it around. Then I tried to "tune" my software and screwed up the pressure curve and allowed to to turn into a diesel. Broke a piston and then bought my legacy. But the concept was similar to the Skyactiv stuff. I keep telling myself I will get back to it, but it just sits in my garage and mocks me.

edit: Fat fingered a few words

The problem doesn't lie within the market. The problem with getting the subaru diesel here is the US emission standards it must meet. Subaru doesn't have the capacity to meet the needed requirements. They would have to spend tons of money on development to meet the requirements. Subaru isn't that large of a company.

jake

because its okay to have v8 diesel's

Never looked into it, but are you saying all the diesel pickup trucks are exempted from the law, but the government enforces it on passenger cars? That would be really stupid, but typical for the government. That is what you call the power of a lobby and fake feel good legislation that is totally worthless.

Different standards on different vehicle types.

At least that was the case for Tier 1 emission standard. The Tier 2 standard is allowing the manufacturers to select which standard for which vehicle they want to conform to as long as the average of all vehicles provided is at a certain level. The California standard is stricter but is not having the type of vehicle separation, just weight separation, which makes more sense. So light pick-up trucks and passenger vehicles are following the same requirements.

But all those different emission standards that exists is a complete minefield of regulations.

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...
Different standards on different vehicle types.

At least that was the case for Tier 1 emission standard. The Tier 2 standard is allowing the manufacturers to select which standard for which vehicle they want to conform to as long as the average of all vehicles provided is at a certain level. The California standard is stricter but is not having the type of vehicle separation, just weight separation, which makes more sense. So light pick-up trucks and passenger vehicles are following the same requirements.

But all those different emission standards that exists is a complete minefield of regulations.

I sell diesel engines for stationary use. Generators and Stationary fire pumps. CA has been on Tier 3 since January 2011. 5 years ago, a 250 HP diesel engine cost $10,000. Today, under Tier 3 requirements, it costs $35,000.

You actually only hear that from the outside. Inside the car you won't hear much of it.

Let's say you are right.....most companies have quieted their diesels down and Subaru would lose many buyers just due to the noise if that is normal. I sure wouldn't buy a low tech clanker like that.

I would say that it's no different from most other diesels around, and the problem with recordings is that the camera has something called AGC - Automatic Gain Control - which adjusts the sensitivity for sound. However this is something that uses a moving average technique to get a reasonable amplification of the sound and that isn't good at handling spikes like the ones heard in the video. They tend to be over-amplificated.
453747.png

• 3 weeks later...

The way I understood it, two things were counter to them importing the diesel. Or maybe 3:

-there currently isn't an AT that SOA can pair to the diesel's torque, so they would have to be MT. We all know how well MT sells in the US.

I am not sure if any Eurospec turbodiesels come in AT, I was under the impression they were all MT.

-current Subaru diesel needs changes (read: added costs) in order to conform to US emissions

And these hang in the balance with the fact that diesel adoptions is lacking, appears the market is going the way of electric/hybrid, and the final cost of the vehicle would shoot it out of the pricerange of many shoppers.

But of course I have been completely incorrect before :)

-there currently isn't an AT that SOA can pair to the diesel's torque, so they would have to be MT. We all know how well MT sells in the US.

Ugh, does anyone ever read the fargin' specs?!?!?!? The Euro diesel motor has the exact same torque spec as the 2.5T in my '10 LGT, i.e. 258 lb-ft or 350 Newton-meters. Go look on www.subaru.co.uk at any of the diesel models (2.0D et al). The US 3.6R's motor has 247 lb-ft of torque shoved into its 5EAT. I'm pretty sure that finessing the additional 11 lb-ft is no difficulty.

Let me scream it again so maybe someday everyone gets it: THE EURO DIESEL AND THE US '10+ LGT 2.5T HAVE THE EXACT SAME TORQUE SPEC!!!!!

The reason they don't sell it with an AT in Europe is because Euro drivers have the same disdain for ATs as US drivers do for MTs. Why they sold the LGT as MT-only here in the US is a mystery that will never be solved. It certainly can't be over 11 lb-ft of torque, as most everywhere other than the US got an AT option.

Archived