LegacyGT.com

Will we ever get the diesel engine?

dahoseman

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yea you can convert any gas car to lpg or cng or lng. i have a video if my car running from a lpg tank. and i just need to get of my ass to install the kit i built up...

And as I noted - diesel engine can be converted too.

453747.png

And as I noted - diesel engine can be converted too.
The problem is driving around with a large high pressure fuel vessel taking up storage and passenger space....and finding places to fill them if mass produced. It would spur the US economy modifying all the gas stations to cng dispensaries. :)

Just realize that the limits specified by the standards and what the engines actually emits are two different things.

In addition to this - if you look at the figures of the requirements you will see that the figures are put together to be covering for gasoline engines - and therefore the permitted CO level is higher in the US than for the Euro requirements for diesels. So the requirements that are built are to some extent trying to act as a protection for domestic vehicle manufacturers in the US.

Personally I think that it's about time to come up with a unified emissions requirement standard that can work internationally. The differences between the EU and the US when you look at them in detail are actually marginal compared to how it looks when you look at all vehicles in traffic. And a single vehicle with incorrect mods or a gutted cat is off the chart in emissions.

This means that you will get a higher yield from having better emissions checks (and that shall include sniff tests, not just plugging in the OBD connector) on vehicle already in traffic than to bicker around with the marginal figures of the maximum permitted emissions.

453747.png

Just realize that the limits specified by the standards and what the engines actually emits are two different things.

In addition to this - if you look at the figures of the requirements you will see that the figures are put together to be covering for gasoline engines - and therefore the permitted CO level is higher in the US than for the Euro requirements for diesels. So the requirements that are built are to some extent trying to act as a protection for domestic vehicle manufacturers in the US.

Personally I think that it's about time to come up with a unified emissions requirement standard that can work internationally. The differences between the EU and the US when you look at them in detail are actually marginal compared to how it looks when you look at all vehicles in traffic. And a single vehicle with incorrect mods or a gutted cat is off the chart in emissions.

This means that you will get a higher yield from having better emissions checks (and that shall include sniff tests, not just plugging in the OBD connector) on vehicle already in traffic than to bicker around with the marginal figures of the maximum permitted emissions.

Don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but people here hate the states that have vehicle emission tests and all the bureaucracy they create.

Don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but people here hate the states that have vehicle emission tests and all the bureaucracy they create.

We have them here too, and I suspect that the rest of the EU has them also, so that's something you may have to accept and it will probably come to all states sooner or later.

In any case - the emissions from a badly maintained vehicle will far exceed the figures listed. And any random lawnmower or any other small engine also has a lot more emissions except maybe a few of the newer ones.

453747.png

• Mega Users
The trend for emissions testing is going in the other direction. I think in the near future, we'll see all states only requiring obdII testing for cars that have it. I don't see a problem with this since it is such a minority of us who run no cats.

We have them here too, and I suspect that the rest of the EU has them also, so that's something you may have to accept and it will probably come to all states sooner or later.

In any case - the emissions from a badly maintained vehicle will far exceed the figures listed. And any random lawnmower or any other small engine also has a lot more emissions except maybe a few of the newer ones.

Yeah no doubt. I lived in an urban tri county area that had emissions testing years ago. It made the local mechanics lots of money passing dirty cars. ;)

The trend for emissions testing is going in the other direction. I think in the near future, we'll see all states only requiring obdII testing for cars that have it. I don't see a problem with this since it is such a minority of us who run no cats.

And it's of course possible to trick the OBD data when running catless but it's hard to trick a sniffer.

453747.png

^ were a little off topic :p but while were here..

i think a sniffers test is fine .. but in cali where everything has to be original that is ridicules..

if you can make you car pass with larger aftermarket exhaust whats wrong with that ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

If you people think this is sarcasm then you're all naive !!!

read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust

:eek:

Oooh. A wikipedia article. I'm enthralled.

I agree - where's the "Troll" flag?

The neutrality of this article is disputed. Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved. (May 2013)

In any case - don't forget that emissions from gasoline engines without all those emission control devices are equally bad - or even worse. The emission control of diesel engines are catching up now, and even locomotive engines are under continuous improvement according to another member with insight on the matter:

Commercial vehicles, especially class 8 trucks need to be taxed at a higher rate on the fuel they use. Of course just increasing taxes on all diesel fuel would hurt plenty of people driving relatively light fuel efficient diesel light trucks and passenger cars. So why not introduce another dye color for commercial vehicles to be taxed at a higher rate?

It will make shipping by long haul truck more expensive, but **** em' I want that freight revenue to go to my industry and line my pockets dammit!

Emissions standards for both are getting more stringent in the US. We also have both General Electric and Electro Motive Diesel (Caterpillar) developing CNG test locomotives to take advantage of cheap and clean burning natural gas for motive power. Downside is the return of fuel tenders to make it work. More shit for me to inspect.

What we have left are the cargo ships where one single ship can have the same impact as 50 million cars. (http://www.gizmag.com/shipping-pollution/11526/) In addition to this those ships burns the lowest quality fuel available - low grade bunker fuel, which is rich in Sulfur, which is causing sulfur oxides and subsequently acid rain.

453747.png

you have never driven a subaru boxer diesel !!!! or any other new diesel have you...

no smog .. no smell what so ever..

and everything causes cancer..

Well, I would not say no smog no smell from our beloved Subaru diesels :). Though I'll be returning to the U.S. very soon, I've been living in Norway and now France for the past 3.5 years (while driving my OBXT :cool:). One day in Norway, I was behind another OB diesel. When she accelerated hard, there was unfortunately quite a bit of black smoke from her tailpipes and it did stink too. But she had some nice torque cause I had to keep up when she began accelerating..

Well, I would not say no smog no smell from our beloved Subaru diesels :). Though I'll be returning to the U.S. very soon, I've been living in Norway and now France for the past 3.5 years (while driving my OBXT :cool:). One day in Norway, I was behind another OB diesel. When she accelerated hard, there was unfortunately quite a bit of black smoke from her tailpipes and it did stink too. But she had some nice torque cause I had to keep up when she began accelerating..

If that is true, that is probably why Subaru's diesel will not pass the emission tests here and could be the reason why Subaru is not offering that engine choice here. I have owned my current 2010 Golf TDI for 2+ years. Not once has it ever emitted black soot off the tail pipes. I have smelled diesel exhaust fumes only ONCE when starting up on a very very cold winter morning in an enclosed space. And the smell was very very faint. VW and Audi TDIs are that clean. I am sure the other brands - BMW, Mercedes and GM Cruze are also just as clean. I can't wait when there will be more diesel choices in the market.

I have enough drama for now.....

It's possible that it had a box modification installed. They sell those plug-in boxes for about $400 to $500 here, and all they do is to trick the system to inject more. The first ones were Euro 4 spec (which were more relaxed) and the current ones are Euro 5 spec, and soon we will see the Euro 6 spec. The question is if we will see the need to fill artificial pee on those.

453747.png

It's possible that it had a box modification installed. They sell those plug-in boxes for about $400 to $500 here, and all they do is to trick the system to inject more. The first ones were Euro 4 spec (which were more relaxed) and the current ones are Euro 5 spec, and soon we will see the Euro 6 spec.

It's possible I guess.. The one I saw was probably an 08 OBD IIRC.

The question is if we will see the need to fill artificial pee on those.

:lol:

i rode in several audi a3 ~ 2007 models in portugal .. tdi but modified and holy shit ! they do smoke under hard acceleration but they pull hard !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

i rode in several audi a3 ~ 2007 models in portugal .. tdi but modified and holy shit ! they do smoke under hard acceleration but they pull hard !

I hear you. Audi's "it's diesel lady" commercials make me laugh. Like a diesel Audi is the great innovation and next big thing. Lol. All they have to do is pull from the VW parts bin. They can probably sell the diesel close to the same price because about all Audis are turbo/similar cost of parts. We'll have to check pricing.

I hear you. Audi's "it's diesel lady" commercials make me laugh. Like a diesel Audi is the great innovation and next big thing. Lol. All they have to do is pull from the VW parts bin. They can probably sell the diesel close to the same price because about all Audis are turbo/similar cost of parts. We'll have to check pricing.

Funny thing is that commercial is so very true. When my wife had our Jetti TDI, on more than one occasion she had a similar reaction from men trying to save her. Obliviously not as exaggerated.

Archived