LegacyGT.com

Will we ever get the diesel engine?

dahoseman

The way I understood it, two things were counter to them importing the diesel. Or maybe 3:

-there currently isn't an AT that SOA can pair to the diesel's torque, so they would have to be MT. We all know how well MT sells in the US.

I am not sure if any Eurospec turbodiesels come in AT, I was under the impression they were all MT.

-current Subaru diesel needs changes (read: added costs) in order to conform to US emissions

And these hang in the balance with the fact that diesel adoptions is lacking, appears the market is going the way of electric/hybrid, and the final cost of the vehicle would shoot it out of the pricerange of many shoppers.

But of course I have been completely incorrect before :)

The diesels will come with the CVT gearbox in 2013, and I plan to take one for a test drive.

453747.png

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ned, it's not all about max torque but also how it is delivered by the engine. The diesel throws the max torque at very low rpm, below the converter stall speed, which can be problematic. The current 5EAT stall is 3400 rpm. One more k and you are in redline :lol:

I can only imagine the drivability suckiness.

Ned, it's not all about max torque but also how it is delivered by the engine. The diesel throws the max torque at very low rpm, below the converter stall speed, which can be problematic. The current 5EAT stall is 3400 rpm. One more k and you are in redline.

If the guts of the beastie can take the torque, reprogramming things like stall speed and shift points is child's play.

Don't forget that the diesel has the max torque at a much lower RPM range, which means that you may end up with stall in the torque converter and possible risk of cavitation effects on the turbine blades in the converter.

In any case it's a moot point since the diesel will come with a CVT gearbox, and that gearbox will also probably replace the 5EAT box in the future for vehicles with the 3.6 and turbo engines.

453747.png

If the guts of the beastie can take the torque, reprogramming things like stall speed and shift points is child's play.

Stall speed cannot be reprogrammed.

That requires hardware modifications.

But you are right, it wouldn't be the end of the world to get it done.

Looks like Subaru would much rather stuff the souless and completely pedestrian CVT instead :lol:

But you are right, it wouldn't be the end of the world to get it done.

Looks like Subaru would much rather stuff the souless and completely pedestrian CVT instead :lol:

Good old Subaru. Let's make our tranny designs last for 20+ years even though the input torque is twice the original spec (the Leone 5MT in the original WRX).

I am currently driving my OBXT here in Europa land for a little while. I've been a couple of times following some 2.0D outback and they are 'torquey' but as it has been mentioned, their torque dies quick as mine keeps increasing ;). But on the starting blocks, it'd be VERY close for the first 1.5 seconds IMO.

On another note, I have to say that newer European diesel engines really don't stink as much as they did before. I ride my bike to work everyday and I can easily tell if an older diesel car is passing by vs. a newer one. Two major differences: can't see black smoke as before even when they accelerate hard; and the newer ones kinna smell like an engine running on natural gas.

Is the diesel successful for Subaru in Europe? Does anyone know the price delta and what percentage choose the Diesel?

I keep holding off purchasing my wife's next vehicle waiting for the Diesel. The little CRV now has over 200K miles. I think it will make it a couple more years tops.

Come On Subaru bring over the diesel!

Is the diesel successful for Subaru in Europe? Does anyone know the price delta and what percentage choose the Diesel?

I keep holding off purchasing my wife's next vehicle waiting for the Diesel. The little CRV now has over 200K miles. I think it will make it a couple more years tops.

The diesel with a 6MT is priced the same as a 2.5i with CVT.

http://www.subaru.se/prislista

So it's not much more for the diesel engine. And of the later model year subies I see around here most are diesels.

453747.png

When I was in Norway the past two years, I saw plenty of diesel ones. Basically, whenever I saw a newer Subaru, it usually was a diesel (lots of people were especially getting the Forester).

you can only buy Subaru's in diesel form in Ireland:

http://www.subaru.ie/index.php/subaru-models/legacy/technical-data/296

you see very few new Subaru's on the roads over here, they kind of priced themselves out of the market. They are pretty quiet though, not as loud as the droves of Audi on BMW diesels that are everywhere here

What I meant is as far as diesel options go, Audi is the way to go.

This is simply not true.

Audi offers a TDI A3 and Q7.

VW offers a TDI Golf, Passat, Jetta (wagon and sedan), Beetle and the Touareg.

Why make diesels even more expensive by buying an Audi?

i talked to a dealer here. he just keeps making up bull shit reasons...

1# its not 5 star crash safety rated? bs.

2# its not meeting emissions ... bs its suposed to be the cleanest diesel.

3# says nobody would want one.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

i talked to a dealer here. he just keeps making up bull shit reasons...

1# its not 5 star crash safety rated? bs.

2# its not meeting emissions ... bs its suposed to be the cleanest diesel.

3# says nobody would want one.

1 may be true in a sense, for a manufacturer to sell a car here even if the gas has passed crash testing, the Diesel model still has to be also. Subaru may not think it's worth the cost.

Cleanest by what standard? It currently doesn't meet US standards which are the most stringent.

VW sell plenty of TDI, but it has a following, hopefully Subaru will see the numbers VW are selling and realize none of them are the 4 motion models.

I've read plenty of VW TDI owner say that if Subaru sold a TDI they'd jump ship in a heart beat for the AWD.

Archived