LegacyGT.com

Will we ever get the diesel engine?

dahoseman

The Subaru diesel I thought was cleaner than vw by some thig I read and saw. I could be wrong tho

I don't think vw has tdi4 motion option I would get that if it existed

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 may be true in a sense, for a manufacturer to sell a car here even if the gas has passed crash testing, the Diesel model still has to be also. Subaru may not think it's worth the cost.

Cleanest by what standard? It currently doesn't meet US standards which are the most stringent.

VW sell plenty of TDI, but it has a following, hopefully Subaru will see the numbers VW are selling and realize none of them are the 4 motion models.

I've read plenty of VW TDI owner say that if Subaru sold a TDI they'd jump ship in a heart beat for the AWD.

Notice that the standards only states the worst permitted case, not the actual implemented case for a vehicle.

It all depends on what the regulations says when it comes to crash testing and then the measuring of emissions. But I suspect that the main point behind the diesel not being on the US market is the lack of an automatic gearbox.

453747.png

We should make a list of people who would buy them and send that to Subaru of America

Say here is 250 people who would

Buy Subaru diesel tomorow. And more to come

I would put a deposit sign my name what else could try want ?

I know 250 is maybe a small number but it's a start !

If its not enough how many signatures do they want ? I'll go door to door to get more if I have to

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

We should make a list of people who would buy them and send that to Subaru of America

Say here is 250 people who would

Buy Subaru diesel tomorow. And more to come

I would put a deposit sign my name what else could try want ?

I know 250 is maybe a small number but it's a start !

If its not enough how many signatures do they want ? I'll go door to door to get more if I have to

They don't need a petition, all they have to do is look at VWs numbers.

Now add the fact that VW no longer has the Passat wagon here and the Jetta sport wagon TDI is selling really well without AWD. It's really a no brainer.

^ It's just crazy that a 2.5i fully loaded over there is slightly more expensive than a diesel! France is about the same too: http://subaru.fr/img/documentation/Tarifs_Subaru_France.pdf

Just stupid expensive IMO. Gotta love taxes..

And the one that tops it all I think (I could be wrong): http://subaru.no/prisliste.html (85000 USD for a 2.0i Legacy and 90486 USD for 2.0d outback). wow, just wow. No wonder why they don't sell STIs. Sorry went on a tangent here. :redface:

Norway is extremely expensive. No wonder that Norwegians pass the border to Sweden for some cheap shopping.

Yes brother. I lived there for two years driving my USDM OBXT. You should have seen the faces of some people when they saw me driving a turboed outback :).

You can take me off the list of 250 for a diesel Legacy. I should be securing 2013 VW Passat SEL Premium tonight for about 32k out the door....

I will be very sad to no longer be a Subaru customer, but they no longer have a car that puts a smile on my face.

You can take me off the list of 250 for a diesel Legacy. I should be securing 2013 VW Passat SEL Premium tonight for about 32k out the door....

I will be very sad to no longer be a Subaru customer, but they no longer have a car that puts a smile on my face.

Even with a stage 2 lgt? :(

Maybe you'll find yourself back on the list after you've had it a while.

I did enjoy our Jetta, but VWs many little 'quirks' got old after a while.

If I want to tinker with a car constantly, it'll be 60's vintage, not my daily driver.

Good luck with it.

:lol:

Here in France, 75% of new cars are diesels!

It's because of gas price: 2.20$/liter for 98, 1.75$ for diesel... (that's why I'm using E85 on my 3.0r SpecB..., 1.23$/liter...)

I had a try with a Forester diesel: it's a quite good engine, with more reactivity than others diesel engines.

But it's still a diesel: noise, smell, low RPM...:rolleyes:

And it's seems quite fragile, I saw few posts with trouble on diesels sometimes, even if Subaru France doesn't sell much cars (less than 1500 cars last year in France, for 60 millions of frog eaters!!!: prices are huge: 64.000$ for STI S, 54.000$ for Legacy SW 2.0d or 2.5i. No more WRX, no LGT... Legacy were just sold with 2.0d, 2.5i, 3.0r, and now with 3.6r in Outback: http://www.subaru.fr/documentation.asp?rubrique=tarifs).

Friends on a french Subaru forum seems to be happy with their Impreza, forester, Legacy and XV diesel, due to low fuel consumption, about 7 liter/100km, and softness.

If I should have your fuel prices, I'd buy a 2.5 turbo Legacy (never sold in France...), with few engine mods, to have torque and high rpm...

And if I was an Aussie, I'd drive a 2007 3.0r bi-turbo Liberty Spec B!!! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Anyways, I'd also like a Legacy wagon with diesel, and would gladly trade in the '12 2.5 Outback 6 speed I got last winter in a heartbeat, and would gladly pay more per month for it. I traded a '02 wrx wagon for the Outback, trying to be a good responsible newly married type, and really wish I had kept the wrx. Had that car for 10 years, loved the way it drove, and really would prefer something like the '05 Legacy wagon gt to get into, instead of a mushy slow Outback. The new Mazda CX-5, especially in diesel, seems like it's gonna be a better option than the Outback. If I had the extra cash on hand I'd pop in a diesel motor and drop the suspension on the Outback, but I don't, and can't. Don't know why Subaru lured me into the family with the sweet little awd wrx, then left me stranded with no other options than an Outback? Wish they would make something bigger than the wrx wagon that was still fun to drive... end of rant...

Archived