LegacyGT.com

Is a pro-tuned Legacy GT good in snow?

No street racing in the winter, 0-60 in 31 secs

I drive it like a civic and corolla in the winter, heck they beat me sometimes too but then they end up in the ditch or rear ending someone/something or if not they get stuck at the same red light as me:lol:

Think Safe, Drive Safe, Stay alive and accident free

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still befuddled by how the OP can live in NorCal, own an AWD Subaru, and have never driven on snow. Must not ever leave to Bay Area to go skiing or snowboarding. :confused: You might as well live in SoCal. :p All kidding aside though, common sense and some all-season (M + S rated) tires and you're set. I've had good luck with Continental DWS. No need for dedicated snow tires.

The OP- being from california, seems as scared of snow as I am of 110 degree summer temps.

If the OP is from San Francisco, his summer temps are likely cooler than anywhere in BC. :lol: I recall being in Pemberton, BC, once on a 44 degree Celsius (111 degrees F) summer day. :eek:

I hope that wasn't directed at me....:lol:

Being a Canuck, I sort of have some experience with snow.;)

The OP- being from california, seems as scared of snow as I am of 110 degree summer temps.

heh, nope, directed at the op. There are few things more entertaining than going WOT in the snow once you have a handle on how the car behaves.

PS: Keep your damn funny-quarters out of my state kthxbye.

If you have issues getting moving in the snow bog the motor by shifting to the next highest gear and it will grip.

Winter tires of course help, but (winter) driving skill coupled to common sense seems to prevail.

It's just like Forza, you'll be fine.

I live in socal but spend as much time driving in snow as I possibly can. I love it.

With good/decent all seasons and cautious driving you shouldn't have any issues. Accelerate slowly and brake 100X sooner than you think is necessary. Don't make harsh steering inputs when turning. Do everything SMOOTHLY.

Honestly it's not rocket science. Don't be an idiot and you'll be okay. Not having snow/all season tires doesn't mean you will definitely die. Just be smart about it. The biggest issue is the thing you don't expect. Blind guess here, but from 40 mph I would expect around 50 feet more stopping distance than with good all seasons. That's a lot of feet when the guy in front of you might be running snow tires. My biggest fear isn't me running into someone, it's me stopping faster than the guy behind me can stop.

For your first time in snow though, and with your girl, maybe renting a jeep and being extra safe isn't a bad idea. Especially if you do encounter more than a foot of snow. I don't know what the rads are like there, I'm sure like most places they'll get plowed before you need to drive in deeper than that.

+1

Attempting snow on summer rubber is about the silliest biggest mistake a driver can make.

They flat out don't work in the snow.

This is not Internet bench racing talking... I tried it in an old Acura one time about 10 years ago, when we had a flash snowfall in October and I had the worst 40 minute drive home ever.

+1

Attempting snow on summer rubber is about the silliest biggest mistake a driver can make.

They flat out don't work in the snow.

This is not Internet bench racing talking... I tried it in an old Acura one time about 10 years ago, when we had a flash snowfall in October and I had the worst 40 minute drive home ever.

My first accidental foray into the snow with my LGT was getting caught by surprise on my summers. I drove about three blocks, turned around and put it in the garage until I had better tires. I've been driving in snow for the better part of two decades and that was just too hairy for me. There was no such thing as slow/cautious enough.

so i bought some snow tires today because they were on sale at BuySnowTiresInAugust.com and then I went to Cobb's website and downloaded the 91 octane CA NV AZ "snow-tune" map to my Accessport. I think it will be perfect because it enables flat foot shifting too.

Now, if snow gets in my hood scoop and melts i know that can be bad!

So my next concern is what kind of protective guard do i need to keep my intercooler from getting wet?

For all those interested, I live about 25 miles outside of San Francisco at 23 feet above sea level. We don't get much snow in these parts, and I'm not fond of going to the snow for recreational purposes.

I've driven in snow about 3 times (before I had my LGT) and it was always on nicely plowed roads not on a snowy mountain pass.

I'm not an idiot when it comes to understanding the laws of physics but I have very little experience when it comes to driving on icy or snow covered roads, so I appreciate everyones input, even the sacastic responses!

From what I've gathered its probably best just to rent a vehicle since i "will die" on my tires, and theres no point in buying winter tires since they'd barely ever be used.

regardless it'll be another 6 months before a winter trip to Idaho.

Thanks!

For all those interested, I live about 25 miles outside of San Francisco at 23 feet above sea level. We don't get much snow in these parts, and I'm not fond of going to the snow for recreational purposes.

I've driven in snow about 3 times (before I had my LGT) and it was always on nicely plowed roads not on a snowy mountain pass.

I'm not an idiot when it comes to understanding the laws of physics but I have very little experience when it comes to driving on icy or snow covered roads, so I appreciate everyones input, even the sacastic responses!

From what I've gathered its probably best just to rent a vehicle since i "will die" on my tires, and theres no point in buying winter tires since they'd barely ever be used.

regardless it'll be another 6 months before a winter trip to Idaho.

Thanks!

I just have to laugh when I hear things like this. I have so many winter driving stories in the civic and my Legacy GT's since the 1st GT a 1998. My 05 was the first car with snows since back in the 1970's.

My 00 GT wagon with Michelin MXV4's got us from VT to CT in a ice storm when my son and I had to slide from the house to the car on the ice because we didn't dare pick out feet up. It was early February and raining at 31F. The car did fine because I used my head. I was impressed with how the car had good feed back on the road surface.

I also drove that car on a 5 hour round trip starting out in 3" of snow and had about 10" back the time I got back.

Use your head, you'll be fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

How do you wash your car? Skip the whole front end

It'll be fine and WILL melt once you drive it

Nothing to be worried about and no don't rent a jeep, that'll be over confidence and you'll end up in the ditch or rear ended someone like all other suv and pick up trucks

Drive the lgt slow, easy on the gas pedal, brake early, watch 1/2 mile in front of you, don't brake and turn at the same time

Archived