LegacyGT.com

Is a pro-tuned Legacy GT good in snow?

How do you wash your car? Skip the whole front end

It'll be fine and WILL melt once you drive it

Nothing to be worried about and no don't rent a jeep, that'll be over confidence and you'll end up in the ditch or rear ended someone like all other suv and pick up trucks

Drive the lgt slow, easy on the gas pedal, brake early, watch 1/2 mile in front of you, don't brake and turn at the same time

Hey, you sound like you've driven in snow before....;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think having a jeep for his first time in snow will mean he will instantly be overconfident. He sounds like he's timid about it and going to be cautious.

Driven at safe speeds a jeep with more clearance and snow or all season tires WILL be a safer car to drive than his legacy. Legacy with good tires for snow and less than 12" of snow on the ground it would probably be pretty comparable.

Thanks Alfred.

All season tires and ground clearance sound good to me too.

I find it funny that some of the people replying automatically think I'm an idiot because I don't have experience driving in any real snow. I've had my drivers license for almost 20 years, i just don't live in winter wonderland.

How do you wash your car? Skip the whole front end

It'll be fine and WILL melt once you drive it

Nothing to be worried about and no don't rent a jeep, that'll be over confidence and you'll end up in the ditch or rear ended someone like all other suv and pick up trucks

Drive the lgt slow, easy on the gas pedal, brake early, watch 1/2 mile in front of you, don't brake and turn at the same time

hahahaha! dude, it's called a joke, ya know? sarcasm.

i'm not really worried about my intercooler getting wet from snow.

it does rain in california and yes i wash my entire car, my engine bay is washed and detailed too.

As long as you realize driving in snow with your current tires will kill you and a kitten for every mile you drive, you're fine. Solid all seasons or dedicated snows are what you need. Besides the tread pattern, summer tires have a compound which plasticizes in cold temperatures, performing more like train wheels than rubber tires.

everyone thinks they can drive in the snow, that is until they get in a snow storm. I remember a while back all the freak snow storms in places that never got snow and it was all over the news about people crashing left and right. It was kind of funny to hear about.

Have the right tires and dont think you drive a tank.

Absolutely true, although that doesn't necessarily mean that the LGT is the car for that Idaho road.

I was a teenager in central Missouri back when no cars (other than Jeeps) had four or all wheel drive or even front wheel drive. When it would snow enough to leave it on the ground, I'd take my old car out on snow-covered country roads for the fun of it with no thought of snow tires. It was great fun. Fast forward several years and I was in the back seat of a big Chevy rental going up Loveland Pass (Colorado) in a snow storm on the way to Aspen, and the car was fish-tailing all over the place. I talked myself into the driver's seat and finished the trip with no problems. But another time my own car, from a dead stop, slid slowly sideways off the road into the ditch. You gotta know the territory.

It's more about knowing how to drive in snow then having the best snow tire.

Driving in snow is not impossible assuming you have decent tires that are well suited to winter driving. People just don't realize how little grip they have if they're not used to driving in snow. Drive slower and brake sooner than you think you need to and leave a lot of space between yourself and other cars. I highly recommend going to an empty parking lot and sliding the car around to find where the limit of grip is and to see how it reacts WHEN (not if) it looses traction. It's a lot of fun as well :spin:

I highly recommend going to an empty parking lot and sliding the car around to find where the limit of grip is and to see how it reacts WHEN (not if) it looses traction. It's a lot of fun as well :spin:

I'm no stranger to sideways, usually in a RWD but my LGT will hang it out in the wet, and i've done a bit on gravel too. Feels just like a RWD drift but with a push on the front end, like it wants to go wide.

however i have a feeling that on ice keeping your foot in it is not the answer to pulling out straight haha. Probably nothing like wet pavement or gravel.

I'd love to test the level of adhesion in icy conditions.

I'm no stranger to sideways, usually in a RWD but my LGT will hang it out in the wet, and i've done a bit on gravel too. Feels just like a RWD drift but with a push on the front end, like it wants to go wide.

however i have a feeling that on ice keeping your foot in it is not the answer to pulling out straight haha. Probably nothing like wet pavement or gravel.

I'd love to test the level of adhesion in icy conditions.

Keeping your foot in it can help you pull out of a slide even on ice. Now, that doesn't mean you should have your foot to the floor spinning the tires as fast as possible, but I'm sure you already know that. You want to use smooth, gentle inputs and whatever you do, don't brake in the middle of a slide.

Sliding a car on snow or ice usually feels pretty similar to on wet pavement, just much slower and you have very little traction.

Archived