LegacyGT.com

05-09 LGT Gas Mileage

I don't get how you guys with your modified, tuned, 300+hp cars get such high mpgs. All that $$ on modifications and you either drive like grandmas or you really drive mostly highway miles. My commute is 80% street/20% highway one way and 100% street on way back since freeways in evening are stop and go.

The most I manage to get on my commute is 17mpg, if I drive a little aggressively it falls to 16mpg. Only way i get in the high 20s is straight highway driving with cruise set at 70.

To get close to 20mpg on my commute I would have to take it really easy on the gas(and as it is I'm not really a lead foot). If I were to drive like that, i may as well drive a corolla.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crazy thing is I drove a 2015 RAM 1500 with 5.7l hemi (rental)on the same commute for 4days about a month ago and averaged 14mpg. Pretty damn good for a truck that size considering my little legacy gt gets 17mpg on the same commute. And my car is all stock, with 125k miles. That AWD driveline must add a lot of drag.

MAP, yes mostly highway.

Yesterday I filled the tank in Springfield MA, when we got to Ludlow VT 90 miles later, the dash read 29.1mpg. 68-70mph on cruise control. On the highway at exit 6 in VT the dash read 29.8mpg.

The temp was about 65F

On my DD to work I drive 65mph to work, 28 of the 31 miles one way, coming home the drive is a little faster, 70-75mph, sometimes a quick blast at WOT, other day's I come back roads most of the way home. That way is about 5 miles highway and 18 miles backroads coming up over the mountain. For the week the wagon will get 24.6 mpg on the dash.

I believe most cars with my Tuners tunes get decent mpg. If not I just tell him, we go for a street tune, he makes adjustments.

I think HAMMERDOWN is getting good mpg too.

It's amazing how quickly the mpg increases when you can drive for mpg.

My Spec B is currently on the Cobb stage 2 map, it gets great mpg on the highway.

Tuner, http://www.tuningalliance.com

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Im up and down a mountain everyday on an efi protune (281 awhp and 328 ft lbs of torque, ohh and its an ej257 with vf39) and i see About 22 mpg. Before on a ap stage 2 with stock ej255 i was seeing 24 mpg average. On a long trip to nh for fishing my dash read out 29.7 mpg.

I don't get how you guys with your modified, tuned, 300+hp cars get such high mpgs. All that $$ on modifications and you either drive like grandmas or you really drive mostly highway miles. My commute is 80% street/20% highway one way and 100% street on way back since freeways in evening are stop and go.

The most I manage to get on my commute is 17mpg, if I drive a little aggressively it falls to 16mpg. Only way i get in the high 20s is straight highway driving with cruise set at 70.

To get close to 20mpg on my commute I would have to take it really easy on the gas(and as it is I'm not really a lead foot). If I were to drive like that, i may as well drive a corolla.

Guilty as charged :D But no where near 300hp :(

Got back from VT last night same tank full from post #203, CC set at 69-70mph dash reads 27.9mpg, 271 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Couple trips from Gastonia, NC from Raleigh, NC(~480ft elevation change); averaged about 23mpg, cruising ~80mph for the majority of the way...though this includes about 1hr worth of traffic jams(Charlotte).

EJ207 with stock 5MT. Still on snow tires(General Altimax Arctics).

Funny thing is I get better gas mileage in my 400+hp v8 than I do in my stg 2 LGT. When I drove from Milwaukee, WI to Boston, MA to visit JermTheElf we averaged 28.4mpg on the hwy. LS1 + 6spd FTW. I even had 4.56s in the rear end too :lol: Those motors like to spin. However, that is hwy when I'm not screwing around. When I'm not on the hwy I'll get around 18-20 no matter how much I beat on it. My license plate actually fits this car haha

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Trans%20Am/IMG_3640_zpsaef491d6.jpg

Funny thing is I get better gas mileage in my 400+hp v8 than I do in my stg 2 LGT.

My running average in the same car was 24.2 combined with stage 1. I tend to cruise the highway at 80 too. But then I think everyone knows the myth of going to stage 2 and getting better mileage is just something to sell the wife on. :D

This tank is getting a little less mpg. 135 miles, dash reads 24.0mpg. A little more back roads and running it through the gears.

Oh, I almost spun the car on Monday after work. After dropping one of the Spec B wheels at The Wheel Shop, there was a lot of water before the street. The street was dry. I should have got the car a little more straight before I gave it some boost. I was surprised how quickly the back end tried to pass the front end. :)

205 miles on this tank full, dash reading 24.9 mpg when I got the work today.

I do drive 60-65mph on t e morning drive to work, I just leave a few minutes early and stay in the right lane...no hurry to get to work...

205 miles on this tank full, dash reading 24.9 mpg when I got the work today.

I do drive 60-65mph on t e morning drive to work, I just leave a few minutes early and stay in the right lane...no hurry to get to work...

I am confused. You have done a total of 205 miles with a full tank, or you have done 205 miles so far since you filled up? I am guessing you mean the latter..

Yes 205 since the last fill up. This is the same gas I put in Monday, 2 miles from the house. I went to my sons house on Wed, he turned 28y/o. Then came up over the mt. to my house.

I can understand why the guy's that do a lot of in town driving get lower mpg...the car is fun and the boost feels GREAT. ;)

Yes 205 since the last fill up. This is the same gas I put in Monday, 2 miles from the house. I went to my sons house on Wed, he turned 28y/o. Then came up over the mt. to my house.

I can understand why the guy's that do a lot of in town driving get lower mpg...the car is fun and the boost feels GREAT. ;)

That it does. Currently at 16.x, working my way down to 15.2-ish, I think.. :(

Archived