LegacyGT.com

05-09 LGT Gas Mileage

There have been times when I've fill up and drove 25 miles home on the back roads going over the mt and the dash has read 17mpg. But after a few drives to work it comes up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, it's all in the tune.

Ported heads, stock fueling. Catless up/dp stock mid pipe. IPR tmic. K&N panel filter

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

We have the same tuner btw. I don't fully understand all the ins and outs of tuning. But I have the stock turbo, avo intercooler, invidia catless up and hi flow catted downpipe, stromung catback, ebcs, Cobb sf intake. My max target boost is around 19psi. And I noticed that my injector duty cycle is maxed out. But your target boost is almost 21 psi and you're still on stock fueling too. So I wonder what is your injector duty cycle at full boost. I keep hearing that it is not good when injector duty cycle goes above 80%. Anyway, topic for another thread.

• 2 years later...

Gas mileage in my 07 spec b is absolutely horrible. Might be due to the fact I'm new to manual transmissions, but I go through half a tank driving 30 miles to school and back. Changing gear at around 3000rpm, I find driving at a reasonable speed it is very hard to change at 2000rpm like everyone says to do. My car has a "stage 2" exedy clutch according to the previous owner

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Spec B's will easily average in the low to mid 20's mpg. If you fill the tank get on the highway and drive like a sane person high 20's to low 30mpg is easy. I have gotten over 33mpg following a buddy towing his 30ft 5th wheel trailer for 3 hours.

My Spec will average 22.7 on the normal Saturday evening drive to diner and shopping.

I have been averaging about 23mpg lately, but I do a lot of highway driving. If I do an even mix of both it's around 21.5 or so. Around town/city/stuck in traffic I'd be lucky to see 20, usually closer to 18. And that's all while not being a dick. I drive a little heavy once in a while, but not beating the crap out of it. Best I've ever seen is 25.2 on a 2 hour highway only trip, I find if I gently maintain 85mph in 5th gear that's the sweet spot. Right when the turbo is lightly spooling but being careful to not ask it for any boost the car seems to glide along nicely. Anything under that is a no go. Every standard car I've had in the past if I keep my RPMs low around town I can get better mileage, but this car has to be sailing down the highway over 3k to get anything reasonable it seems, nothing else no matter how light I am on the right pedal or where I shift makes much of a difference.

I find if I gently maintain 85mph in 5th gear that's the sweet spot. Right when the turbo is lightly spooling but being careful to not ask it for any boost the car seems to glide along nicely. Anything under that is a no go.

Kind of the same for me. Around 80 mph, the car glides well and can get 25 mpg! I think that's pretty amazing knowing it is an AWD machine, stage 2+, and a 10+ year old engine.

Kind of the same for me. Around 80 mph, the car glides well and can get 25 mpg! I think that's pretty amazing knowing it is an AWD machine, stage 2+, and a 10+ year old engine.

How's the road condition? Are you seeing better mileage going uphill at this speed as well?

good question. so far, I got good results with flat road conditions only. I have not really tried doing this in hilly conditions. I think the mpg would suffer a bit due to hitting boost a bit too much maybe. But who does not like boost :lol: ?

I agree. Boost is life :cool:

Original motor, turbo (vf-40) & T/A tune; avg. 24mpg

Original motor, new turbo (vf-39) & updated T/A tune; avg. 25.5 mpg. For the 1st. full tank after the 3rd revision of my latest map.

I'm not entirely familiar wth vf39 but is that a laggier turbo? I need to get my car tuned by TA!

TA tune, stage III and it gets 19 unless over half of the tank is highway driving. Best I've ever done is 21 :spin:

Stage 3 eh. Must be a decently tuned car.

Because I beat on it, I usually end up averaging 21.5-22.5mpg on my normal commute (several on ramps, some long hills, etc)

If I take a long trip or otherwise behave myself it'll get 26-27mpg. A few weeks ago when I drove it from Albany to Brooklyn and back I averaged 26.5, which was surprising because I spent a solid chunk of time in traffic and bringing boxer rumble to the people of Bushwick.

2005 LGT Limited, 235/40R18's, 5 speed, cobb stage 2.

Yeah whatever the stages mean these days. I guess I should say stage 3 small turbo. AEM 320 pump, DW850s, and a BRN EVOIII 16G.

My old Saabaru with less mods didn't do much better. I think I got about 20 city and maybe 24 highway

How's the road condition? Are you seeing better mileage going uphill at this speed as well?

I live in New England so it's quite hilly here. Sure if you watch the instant readout it temporarily gets bad mileage up hills, but does so at lower speeds too (I try to never look at that anyways, it will only scare you- 45mpg one second, then you so much as breathe on the pedal and it says 9mpg). Going up hills just hurts economy in general, no way around that. But every hill you go up, there is usually a downhill on the other side. Cruising at 85 on flat ground is perfect. Going up hills, at least if you hit the bottom of the hill at 85 will allow you to let off the gas somewhat and still be going a decent speed at the top, then you have all the time you need to delicately build up speed on the downhill (or just coast down it depending on how steep, coasting is MPG's best friend lol) so you're back up to your cruising speed when the ground levels out again. I find that maintaining the higher speed helps boost overall averages regardless of what happens on individual hills, for long trips and even shorter ones. If I go the speed limit whether around town or on the highway I find my mileage is f**ked, gotta have that momentum so you can let off the gas and roll.

Strangely enough too, I find that even if I am a little quick off the line, accelerating up to speed swiftly then letting off and using that momentum seems to get me better mileage than if I accelerate as if it were a prius. That little engine shouldn't be pulling around a mid size AWD car without the aide of boost. Sure getting heavy into that boost too much will eat gas, but if used lightly in short bursts it effortlessly pushes the car up to speed and doesn't rely on that little 4 banger for long periods of time while you gingerly get up to speed. I'm not talking mashing it, but 1/4-1/2 throttle till 3k-3500 and a nice long lift between gears seems to do great from a stop (wouldn't recommend in stop and go situations obviously). Totally defies all the stingy fuel saving techniques I developed over the years as a broke teenager, but for whatever reason it works. And I'm too anal to not over-analyze every single thing I do, especially when it comes to driving. I have not discovered this by chance, but trial and error.

RecklessWOT - Interesting driving technique. You would imagine more gas consumption for trying to get off the line quickly. However, you're seeing better fuel economy. Might have to give it a try.

Phate - I wish my car does long trip like yours. Anything above 25 mpg is impressive in my books. Sedan or wagon? My best was ~24 mpg from So Cal to Vegas.

Would using cruise control give you better or worse mileage?

Archived