LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

diff fluid is its own compartment and so is atf fluid. you fill atf through the tranny dipstick tube. use a funnel with a long flex tube. it might take a while but thats how you fill the tranny. no other way.

Thanks for the help bmx, do you know how many qts diff takes and do I use the same fluid for it? (synthetic atf)

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

go to the dealer and buy 5 qts of ATF-HP for the tranny. its 5eat atf, the 4eat tranny uses diff fluid so make sure it says HP on the bottle(silver bottles). diff fluid is 70w-90, i use mobil 1 or valvoline, really anything thats GL-5 rated is fine.

My wife has a 05 OBXT with a 5EAT stock and I have a 08 Legacy GT with a 5EAT Stage 2. Her car has 12,000 miles and mine has 75,000. These are our first Subaru Automatics. Her car shifts so much faster and sharper than mine. Mine seems very delayed and sluggish on acceleration. I don't feel any slippage or anything weird in mine it's just lazy. I have replaced the trans fluid and filter in mine with OEM fluid and filter. Her car has Royal Purple in it. Any thoughts? Whats the best way to check the line pressures in this tranny?

Thanks

Thanks for the help bmx, do you know how many qts diff takes and do I use the same fluid for it? (synthetic atf)

Front diff: 1.4-1.6 quarts

Rear diff: 0.8 quarts

Make sure you replace the gaskets and don't overtorque the bolts

Use any good synthetic 75w90 and you won't have to worry about it for many miles.

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said the shift from 2nd to 1st I get a "chunk", but if I just slow down/stop in second it will autoshift to 1st without the "chunk". Is this a bad idea?

Also whats the max speed/rpm that I can be at when downshifting to 1st? It seems to be somewhere around 25 - 30 mph, which seems a little higher that other cars I've driven.

does anyone know if the ECU needs to be retuned when the F1 Valve body upgrade is installed??

maybe, mine relearned on it's own just fine

others have used the FreeSSM to reboot the TCU

Dave, what are your thoughts on this?

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Shifting 101, 1st is the gear used to take off from a dead stop. It is not a cruising gear or used for anything else. On MTs it won't even go in 1st unless you're almost at a dead stop. Too often have I seen drivers that deem themselves good mt drivers try to force it into 1st.

The gearing causes such an abrupt change that it cannot possibly be helpful or healthy, mt or at. I would stop using it I such a manner.

• Moderators
To engine-brake down a steep hill. I do it a few times a week, usually at about 20 mph as one particular hill gets steeper. I get no "chunk" at all.

Brake pads are cheaper than a transmission. I could understand if you were going down a hill that was long/steep enough to cause significant brake fade / failure that downshifting to 1st might be necessary--I doubt that's the case though.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I was just saying as I come to a stop I shift into 1st, probably ~10 mph. Was just wondering what the max rpm/speed is for first. No I'm not planning on shifting into 1st doing 40 mph or shifting to 1st then right back to second. The first part of my drive home is stop and go, so there is quite a bit of shifting. Downhill I'm usually in 3rd since we are usually traveling 35 - 50 mph.

I was just wondering as I'm coming to a stop if shifting into 1st or letting the car shift for me is better/worse or no impact either way?

• Moderators

Lol, there's actually zero shifting on your drive home--you have an autobox.

No impact on letting the car shift into first for you except you'll avoid the "lurch" that you probably get when you downshift into first at any speed above 5mph.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Lol, there's actually zero shifting on your drive home--you have an autobox.

No impact on letting the car shift into first for you except you'll avoid the "lurch" that you probably get when you downshift into first at any speed above 5mph.

Looks like neither of us are actually shifting :)

Thanks I kinda figured. The good ol lurch...

>Brake pads are cheaper than a transmission<

That's of course a true statement, but it says nothing about whether using engine braking shortens the life of the transmission. I've seen or heard no evidence that it does. It's how I learned to drive a long time ago, I've done it with all my cars (which I've driven up to 280K miles), and have never had a transmission problem, auto or manual.

Brake pads are cheaper than a transmission. I could understand if you were going down a hill that was long/steep enough to cause significant brake fade / failure that downshifting to 1st might be necessary--I doubt that's the case though.
Edited by lgt_nube