LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

• 2 weeks later...

10 forester auto sohc which over the counter trans fluid is best. calls for subaru atf hp and 10q. that does not seam realistic on a drain and fill. how much for drain and fill?

edit..

who would guess skipping to the end of the thread would give me an answer. now over the counter recomendations?

Since the 06-07 engines are the same, couldn't you use those years transmissions interchangeably? There are a couple 06 5EATs on Ebay right now.

I don't know if that has been tested. The engines have nothing to do with the transmission. There are some 2.5i engines running around mounted to a 5eat (not sure what market, but that's what it looked like with Subaru's reverse part number lookup). Anyways, 06-07 are different 5eat part numbers. I haven't gone any deeper to find similarities, but anyone can look up the part numbers and find the difference. They are internally the same, or almost the same. Valve bodies are different, but cross-compatible with no problems. I think it might come down to the sensors, or the harness, or something as simple as that. All I know is that if you try to swap between 05 and 06/07, you may be in for a major world of hurt.

It may be that Rick got an 06 or 07 to work on his 05. I don't know the story there, but an 06 or 07 frame transmission came off his 2005 LGT (the IPT trans he sold a couple years ago).

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I am, and have noticed slight finicky shift behavior with it. Not enough of a difference to push me back to OEM. The one I want to test the most is Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF, as it is the least well known of the 3 readily available fluids for the 5eat in the US.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

how does the fluid level affect the way it shifts overall? Is it better to be slightly under the F mark on the hot side? Right now its maybe 1/2cm above the F hot mark.

how does the fluid level affect the way it shifts overall? Is it better to be slightly under the F mark on the hot side? Right now its maybe 1/2cm above the F hot mark.

The ideal place to have the fluid level is somewhere between F and immediately below F. Being higher than F when hot means you have too much fluid in the pan, which can be really bad if you're enough over. I bet there is a safety margin in the dipstick levels, but I know of no one who has tested this.

The JATCo engineers knew exactly what they were doing when they designed every piece of it :). I can't say the same for Subaru's add-ons... though they're not worse than any other auto manufacturer.

I saw a Stage 2 5EAT with a Valve Body today, but then I saw a stage 3 5EAT e85 tune with NO VALVE BODY! I was like, "This isn't supposed to exist". He explained that his tune was set to not give full boost until the torque converter was locked up, and that fixed the issues with blowing the 5EAT? Is he blowing smoke my 5EAT gurus?

• Mega Users

Considering that my TCC locks around 5200 rpm during a 3rd gear pull, I'd say he's incorrect and that transmission is on borrowed time unless the guy drives like an old lady.

He very well might be confusing torque converter stall with lockup. Not to mention the fact that "full boost after lockup" doesn't address the main issue of too much torque during a shift. Until we learn how to manipulate the tcu, we can't change what the lockup clutch does during the shift. And that wouldn't even preserve anything during the shifts.

Edited by seabass07

I saw a Stage 2 5EAT with a Valve Body today, but then I saw a stage 3 5EAT e85 tune with NO VALVE BODY! I was like, "This isn't supposed to exist". He explained that his tune was set to not give full boost until the torque converter was locked up, and that fixed the issues with blowing the 5EAT? Is he blowing smoke my 5EAT gurus?

The latter character's story is either missing major pieces of information, or he has no concept of how to properly setup a car.

What's the point of having all the mods if you handicap it to keep it alive a little longer? I admit I did this myself, but only to survive until my trans swap.

What you described sounds like building a mansion on a swamp... real nice until you realize the back half sunk 18", your neighbors eat alligator meat, and you're a prime candidate for catching mosquito-borne malaria.

What am I saying, I know people who want the mods just to have them, to talk about them, to post pics of them, to get street cred at car meets, but never to use them. I don't know if any of this is the person you speak of. These are just scenes I see.

I once sold a valve body to a guy who wrote me after a few weeks saying he didn't notice a difference. I asked him if he had accelerated hard with the car since installing it. He came back and said something like 'oh, yeah, it does work.' Totally different story here: He knew how to setup the car properly, but he must not have had a desire to drive it like he stole it.

Also keep in mind, depending on the stage 3 setup and the area in which you drive, and the TUNE (I saw a **** ***** E85 tune that left a huge amount of power on the table, because the tuner had rather be home by 5:10pm than do the job he was paid to do. My old stage 3 setup made it nearly impossible to get power on the street. Kept me out of boost ALL the time, was the opposite of fun. Lots to consider.

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods

E85 is fantastic if you have a tuner who understands how to tune it right, and a driver who understands how to check for whether variations in seasonal blends may cause a problem to pop up.

It's not fantastic on an unmodified 5EAT. Not for long anyways :lol:

Drain/Fill Question. So I know to pull the drain plug on the left side to drain my trans. fluid but am unsure where to fill back up. Through the Trans. dip stick, or behind the turbo in the front diff. compartment? From the reading I've done they share the same area I just want to be sure before I really screw something up..Thanks!
torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

diff fluid is its own compartment and so is atf fluid. you fill atf through the tranny dipstick tube. use a funnel with a long flex tube. it might take a while but thats how you fill the tranny. no other way.