LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

Always downshift; never to 1st- accidentally did the other day and it didn't go well.

I found a sweet spot upshifting around 5-5.5k rpms (with a good amount of throttle). seems like the transition is really smooth and solid.

Nothing broke- it just slammed into first gear really hard. didnt feel good or sound good. I was turning onto my street and had to stop at the end to get the mail- but the guy behind me wasn't slowing down as I was turning, so I took the turn a little fast and then had to stop abrubtly.

^ my signature:wub:

are you jelly??:lol:

wait... saw you have an 08, the hard shift is fine. its actually good cause you want hard shifting and your engine/trans speed is the same for that shift. It shifted hard because its 1st gear and possible high rpms. the shift was hard to 'ensure' its in gear and wont slip

unless it was one of those funky times when your still on the gas and downshifted and the car didnt rev match and clunked into gear....

Edited by underground000

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

When I had my car tuned my TC was unlocking at around 5k rmp causing a pretty significant drop in power and my Tuner to taper off boost >.<

Is this a bad sign for my TC (or Trans)? Will i need to replace/upgrade my TC?

also... ETA on 08+ VBs???!?!?!

Edit: running BNR 16g with all the goodies: Fuel system, EBCS, catless TBE, etc. Conservative tune at 280 whp/tq

Edited by Anarcan

• Mega Users
That's weird. Mine locks up around 5k rpm during a 3rd gear pull. I can sometimes see a slight rev drop when it locks up. Have you logged TCC lockup? It might be worth it to make sure that's what's happening.

What about left foot braking through corners while staying on the gas? I guess the equivalent of heel toe in a manual. I find that i fall out of boost in third but sometimes don't really want to drop to second. Is left foot braking a reasonable option or is it hard on anything? Except brakes obviously.

So is there a FAQ still coming from opie or is this a consolidated thread in which we can all answer?

To answer your question, it depends how hard you are on the brake and on the gas at the same time. If you're WOT and braking hard, and for a sustained period of time, you may be overheating the ATF. If the AT Temp light comes on, the damage may already be done. I would recommend you invest into a big tranny cooler and use a good quality synthetic ATF, such as BG or Amsoil.

Just think in terms of the engine torque turning the converter against the fluid resistance and friction = heat.

More friction, more heat. Not giving it time to cool off before getting on it again = very bad.

You can beat on it and drive hard but you need to back off and let it cool. Rinse and repeat.

Regarding downshifting to 1st and jerking, I am not sure I understand what's going on. You should never be downshifting to 1st while still moving. 1st is a take-off gear only, it's akin to forcing a MT into 1st while still rolling. Tranny will hate you, you can break shit and it's pointless to do.

There is absolutely an FAQ coming, when I can block off a full day to write it. I've written small sections in no particular order, and will compile those in as well.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

this has been debated too many times.

some people have blown their tranny's with a 16g at just around 300hp, others have been fine running 320hp with a 20g.... though sprank is the only one i know of that blew a tranny with a 16g....

yea i know it has.. lol. I would love to see what kinda numbers i can achieve (reasonably) with E85, and open up my tune... just need to switch out my injectors again (should have put larger ones in to begin with but got a redic deal on 650s) and would prefer to have the VB in place for peace of mind

• Mega Users
Only time will tell how much power a vb modded 08+ 5eat can handle. In theory it should be similar to the 05-07, but I have doubts about the torque converter since several of them have crapped out from mods.

Not lookin for a guarantee lol. just lookin for some educated information.... And ya my TC is acting suspect. Which i asked about a page or two back ...

Annnnyyy input fellas? Esp pre-VB MOD

• Mega Users
Lol! Pre vb mod = wait for shit to assplode. Your chances of not destroying your transmission on e85 without a vb mod are probably similar to winning the lottery. If your TC is already acting funky, then you should go easy on it or be prepared to fix it wen it breaks. It's probably just the TC clutch.

Haha k that's what I was lookin to hear!! 280hp/tq atm... Upgrade/replace tc in your opinion before going further? My tuner said it was unlocking at 5k rmp when he was tuning it...

Edit: have an 08 if u didn't notice... So still waiting for vb

Edited by Anarcan