LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

On 1/3/2023 at 10:09 AM, kzr750r1 said:

Well at 257K on my 5EAT it's time to pull it and pay the piper. Currently lockup is slipping and result is terrible fuel mileage.

Putting it in Manual helps a little. Not a cure.

Looking for transmission lift I can rent and have a friend with car lift available. So at least looks like I don't have to pull the motor to get it out. :)

Last fluid drop did show some clutch pack debris. Did add some Lucas slip fix again as David suggested many years ago. Has not cured it so for sure time to do something more drastic, like get it fixed.

I'd like to get at least 28 MPG again on freeway runs. Currently best average is 20.

Unless your car is stock you won't get 28 MPG on the freeway no matter how hard you try. Hypermiling (AKA drafting semi trucks) from Seattle to PDX I got 26, but my car is modified.

Edited by Pleides

Well see. I hear what your saying.

Have an appointment with a transmission shop for the 16th.

Two different ways to go. Remanufactured or in house. Both have different warranty and turnaround times.

Will likely be putting the transgo kit in as well. Rep on the phone liked this idea as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kzr750r1 said:

Well see. I hear what your saying.

Have an appointment with a transmission shop for the 16th.

Two different ways to go. Remanufactured or in house. Both have different warranty and turnaround times.

Will likely be putting the transgo kit in as well. Rep on the phone liked this idea as well.

Mine is a manual, too. Probably should have mentioned that. Autos have a taller 5th gear. Good luck with the rebuild. Definitely recommend a valve body upgrade. Really sharpens up shifts from what I've felt in friends' cars 

• 2 weeks later...

28mpg in an 08 5eat stage 2 LGT can be done. BUT, I do not recommend it. You will be a danger to other drivers.  

We used to play an mpg game. I figured out the secret code moves to pull off the 28mpg.  But, you need to be the only car on the road or risk causing a major pile up.

• 3 weeks later...

USDM 2006 Legacy GT wagon and I'm located in central Oklahoma.  I know about level10 and maybe 1 other on the East coast but I'm wondering if there is a good transmission shop located closer to central US?  Oklahoma would be great but anything closer than Jersey is a win!

I don't have problems (yet) but I'm looking for a rebuild because I don't think it's been maintained well.  128,000 miles, I don't know if it's ever has the service.  I'm working on a light tune, maybe 315 WHP and I wanna be able to launch it at the drag strip w/out blowing up my tranny.

Suggestions for good shop that's not 1,000 miles away?

• 3 weeks later...

I found '06 5EAT at a local recycler and swapped it into my '05 Outback 3.0R.

It shifts very hard, sport mode light flashing and check engine light is on and I have P0735 and P0734 codes.

Using FreeSSM I see that the rear speed is reading correct, but the front speed sensor is reading about 2.5x that.

I also see that the turbine speed 2 only has a reading when in 4th gear.

I replaced the turbine speed 1 sensor.

The transmission I installed is a TG5C7CMCAA, which I believe came from a LL Bean and does not have VDC.

My car is a 3.0R with VDC and had a TG5C7CMAAA. Could this be the source of my problem?

Thanks.

The ratios are correct.

Subaru lists the same part for the trans and TCU for all 3.0 Outback models for each year. This has me inclined to think that the VDC trans is the same as the non-VDC. I also see no internal trans parts listed as for VDC only.

I wonder if front speed sensor in the '06 trans is reading a wheel has more teeth than the '05. If so that would mean the TCU is expecting different readings.

Does anyone here have an '06 that they can compare the vehicle speed sensor readings on?

I found "Technician Reference Booklet 5 Speed Automatic Transmission Module 305'

And in it I found this: "The front wheel speed sensor has been relocated and now senses revolutions of the reduction gear."

I went back and looked at the FreeSSM screenshots I took and see that the front speed sensor was reading about 49% higher than rear.

I am guessing that All I need now is 2006 TCM. 

Like I said, vdc was a bigger change than expected. If you swap the tcu, you may also need ECM the BIU and the immobilizer as well as the ignition tumbler and key for the immobilizer.  I dont recall all the intertwined electronics off the top of my head this morning.  We always avoided this type of scenario unless the customer had a specific desire. Otherwise we stuck to 1 for 1 knowing the slight differences caused head aches. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did some research on VDC and found it has nothing to do with the trans, It is entirely in the ABS system. That explains why a non-VDC and VDC car of the same year have the same trans part number.

Failed TCMs are swapped with identical TCMs with no problems so I took a chance that swapping in a 2006 TCM would work. It did!

My 2005 3.0R with VDC now has a 5EAT transmission and TCM from 2006 LL Beans with no VDC. Everything is working fine now including the VDC, traction control, and sport mode. There are no errors in the ECM or TCM.

Hopefully this will be useful to anyone else who finds themselves needing a transmission but can't find the right year.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I upgraded my 05 Legacy GT with a VF52, new fueling, and a transgo shift kit. Running about 300awhp. 

Car is running great except for 1st gear. Takes 1500rpm to shift after hitting button. In auto mode it just hits limiter. 

The other gears are fast to shift and seem to work well. 

My shop suggested that as the trans has 120k miles on it that maybe I should have it rebuilt. 

I am no expert and learning as I go. Could anyone help to advise me? Thanks so much! 

• 2 weeks later...

Transgo install almost finished today but stalled at final stages. Can't seem to find the torque values for valve body reassembly- HexMods original rebuild post seems to be cut off/never finished? Followed the guide and got to the 5 mini ball bearing reassembly step and the guide stops.

Anyone know torque values for all the gold bolts on bottom plate, 3 side bolts for harness bracket, and the 5 top plate bolts?

Thanks in advance.