LegacyGT.com

picking up bmw 328xi w nav monday

Mind sharing how you are at 280 whp? Unless you are FI or running some Sunbelt cams + supporting mods, I don't see how that is possible. Or do you have a S50B32 swap?

shrick cams, euro header, mid-pipe,borla, intake, euro maf, chip, injectors. 280 was an estimate. will do a dyno for official numbers next spring.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shrick cams, euro header, mid-pipe,borla, intake, euro maf, chip, injectors. 280 was an estimate. will do a dyno for official numbers next spring.

Awesome! :) Must be a fun ride! I really miss my past E36 M3's, which is the reason I put the S50 into the e30.

Sorry for getting off topic, carry on now...

All I would offer as advice is to keep a sizable 'maintenance account' at your bank if it is not under CPO or a BMW powertrain warranty. Having had an 03' 540i m-tech I can tell you that when, not if, something major fails you will be paying a huge sum to get it fixed.

However, I too am fairly young and when I purchased my BMW it was purely for the pride of owning 'The Ultimate Driving Machine.' They are great cars to be certain, but the cost:enjoyment ratio was WAY off for me. Did not find this out until after the first few weeks of ownership. It scared me to drive thinking I would park in the wrong area or that it might get scratched by some @$$ who was not paying attention when opening their door. Not that I don't care about my Subaru's, but I also know that my insurance is so much less with these that I can carry a double digit comprehensive deductible and not break a sweat.

My 5-series was CPO'd with a $50 co-pay on any and all maintenance. After 6 months the PS pump seized, threw every drive belt offline, and somehow damaged the water pump and cooling system in the process. BMW paid to have the car flatbedded to the local dealership, was told that "these things happen", I received no loaner car because they were out of stock (ride home in courtesy van w/ free public transit map :lol: ) , and a few days later I picked up my car and saw the tab would have been north of $3K if I was not under the CPO. Sold the car the next month to a kid in Cali who wanted to look professional ;)

I would certainly never discourage anyone from pursuing their automotive dreams, but do your research and be prepared should the worst happen. The 328xi engine is fairly sound and is not nearly as high-strung as the 335, but with a relatively unproven AWD system that may be what gets you. Just for perspective/research you should call your local BMW dealership and ask how much they charge for a basic service (ex: oil change, brake pad replacement, etc). You can obviously do these yourself, but this will give you an idea of what is coming. If the amount does not sound unreasonable then take the leap...

I am still a big fan of BMW and I sincerely wish you the best of luck in whatever direction you choose.

For me the Subaru COST:ENJOYMENT = :wub:

In your opinion...

Congrats on the new car, post some pics

Let's take away the lower torque and hp. And let's compare everything else to LGT 08 and BMW 328XI 08.

BMW:

1. Better speakers. 8 speakers and 2 subwoofers.

2. LGT 08 Model doesn't come with USB.

3. BMW heated seats also heat the back very well, not just behind :p

4. Memory keys. Each key remembers your settings, such as seat, radio settings, mirror, etc. When you get in your profile is set.

5. Superior suspension. Can achieve higher speeds without feeling like I will go off the road.

6. Nav includes traffic info and is wide screen format. Can display two different things at the same time. Such as left would be FM Radio and Right Nav. Also FM radio receives station and song info.

7. Electronic Folding mirrors and Park assist (mirror goes down when parking)

8. Side mirrors. Anti glare, turn to blue tint at night. Samething with rear mirror (I know subaru sells that as separate accessory)

9. Driver seat goes in some 14 different positions.

10. Passenger seat actually goes up and down.

11. Additional heated and cooling zone for rear passengers.

12. Bluetooth.

13. Beverage heating or cooling.

14. And the list keeps going...

To be fair...

The LGT by default comes with Paddle Shifters. BMW needs a sports package to have it.

Without sports package the BMW has 16 inch wheels instead of the 17 subbie has.

2. I hear Subaru AWD system is better. I haven't driven in snow yet, but I would think Subaru would be still better.

I am sure you are aware that you are talking about two cars that are vastly different in terms of design, materials, and projected market (won't even mention pricing). You have purchased a car that is geared to have more luxuries than any Subaru from the jump. You should not be surprised by that. So listing them off is not really that important, that would be like me listing off all of the pros of my GTR vs my Legacy. What would be the point?

However, you have entered a different market segment and as stated in my previous post, I hope you have the money to support it or you will find yourself in that dreaded 'civic' before you know it.

FYI: The Subaru AWD system versus the BMW system is not really a comparison. You have a system on the BMW that is more like those found on Lexus and Infinity. It is a selling point for safety minded parents for their teenage daughters. The two systems are not really similar in terms of design or performance. You should probably do some more research on how well you think that system will actually help you when it gets nasty out...

Enjoy your new Bimmer and Good Luck to your wallet.

I am sure you are aware that you are talking about two cars that are vastly different in terms of design, materials, and projected market (won't even mention pricing). You have purchased a car that is geared to have more luxuries than any Subaru from the jump. You should not be surprised by that. So listing them off is not really that important, that would be like me listing off all of the pros of my GTR vs my Legacy. What would be the point?

However, you have entered a different market segment and as stated in my previous post, I hope you have the money to support it or you will find yourself in that dreaded 'civic' before you know it.

FYI: The Subaru AWD system versus the BMW system is not really a comparison. You have a system on the BMW that is more like those found on Lexus and Infinity. It is a selling point for safety minded parents for their teenage daughters. The two systems are not really similar in terms of design or performance. You should probably do some more research on how well you think that system will actually help you when it gets nasty out...

Enjoy your new Bimmer and Good Luck to your wallet.

This is all I need to know about their AWD system

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWu7NLTxeKg]BMW 328Xi Snow FUN - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xdXXVHQFqU]BMW 328xi in the snow - YouTube[/ame]

Im not really sure what the videos are about. Are you saying all you need to know is that you can do donuts?
what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

...You have purchased a car that is geared to have more luxuries than any Subaru from the jump. You should not be surprised by that. So listing them off is not really that important, that would be like me listing off all of the pros of my GTR vs my Legacy. What would be the point?...

Agreed!

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

Unfortunately, color has nothing to do with whether a car is a "girls car" or not. (unless its pink with purple accents and glittery..)

LegacyFuture, whatever your argument might be. You are still in a Subaru Legacy forum, you do not come into someone else's house and start pissing/flaming/dissing someone else's house.

Just for your sake, I hope your car won't have any issues. Recently, my friend told me that he was quoted $10,000 to install a new engine into his bimmer. In the end, he ended up getting a used 70k miles engine and installed it for $6,000. Either way, it is expensive. Hope you are ready to pay.

I am a girl and Wouldn't even drive that..just because it has the letters bmw on it doesnt make it cool in my eyes..then again i could never afford the upkeep. I would much rather have an m3.

Archived