LegacyGT.com

Help me with my Stage 2 work

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call Brett at Suburban Subaru in Manchester 860 649 6550 tell him I sent you. He has helped me out with pricing because I got him as a reference from Jason (CT08SpecB)

Brett used to have one of these cars.

Next time you have insurance needs contact Jason.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Call Brett at Suburban Subaru in Manchester 860 649 6550 tell him I sent you. He has helped me out with pricing because I got him as a reference from Jason (CT08SpecB)

Brett used to have one of these cars.

Next time you have insurance needs contact Jason.

Maybe that's who owned my car before me.. I bought my car there and it was a employee there that owned it. I met him at WBM but I'm horrible with names :spin:

That would be funny, small world.

Though I think Jason said Brett had a Spec B I'll email Jay and ask

I guess its not, Brett's was 05 Silver with a couple of MODs

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Not sure where your using paper gaskets, I would say yes if there is fluid going through them.

Put a light coat of sealant, let it tack up for a few minutes then install.

That would be funny, small world.

Though I think Jason said Brett had a Spec B I'll email Jay and ask

I guess its not, Brett's was 05 Silver with a couple of MODs

I think I have it then.:spin:

I bought it with the h-techs already intalled, cusco fstb, oem sts, lwfw, and 06-07 wrx wheels. It did have a boost gauge in it but I opted to have it removed before hand and some aftermarket fogs in the grill.

• Mega Users
Not sure where your using paper gaskets, I would say yes if there is fluid going through them.

Put a light coat of sealant, let it tack up for a few minutes then install.

at the BPV and turbo flanges

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users

Oh man. I was going to post earlier this morning, but I had to go to bed....

The FMIC is working great. The paper gaskets I made work just fine, and there are no leaks in the system.

As usual, I ran into some trouble with the exhaust. If anyone with basic tools is thinking about doing an FMICd stage 2 build, and you plan on doing the work yourself, do the downpipe first, and then plumb the FMIC piping. It is really tough to take off the bolts for heat shield, as well as the Downpipe bolts/nuts. The heat shield did not fit back on over the turbo. Do you members recommend I replace it with an aftermarket one that fits?

So after I unbolted the downpipe I went to the CBE and mid pipe connection. I had already doused it in PB plaster for 30 mins at that point. Bolts wouldn't budge, not even with vice grips. The connection was an absolute mess as there was an apparant exhaust leak that had rusted everything together. Then I tried the Y pipe connection and that wouldn't move even tho it wasn't rusted as bad. I couldn't pull out the exahust from the back because my jack wouldn't go high enough:rolleyes:. I had to use some 2x6s to put under the jack to get more clearance under the car and I eventually got it out.

Hours later I had everything bolted up. At this point my dumbass is so excited. I go to torque down the downpipe bolts/nuts to the turbo and what do I find, the old gasket still sitting there:eek:. It had blended in with the turbo and I just didn't see it or even think about removing it. I told myself I wasn't going to half ass anything, so I took the exhaust apart again and did it right:rolleyes:.

By 1:15 this morning, I was done. I grabbed the laptop and my tactrix and loaded on the stage 2 base map. Man was it satisfying to see the computer say "ECU flash complete." Started it up, it took 10-12 cranks this time. No CELs, but it doesn't idle very well and the response when starting from a complete stop is minimal. Trying to log as soon as I can so I can get a revised map so it will be better. Clutch is holding fine at WOT for now. Man, is that stage 2 hype real!

Glad you got it running and are out driving it.

Be careful until you get a correct tune.

Yes stage 2 is everything they say it is.

I'm going to have to put a DP on my 09 and have it tuned.

The exhaust bolts are a PITA. I just dropped mine from the DP to mid and at the Y to mufflers. And remove the mid and Y as a unit.

OH I hope you used anti-sieze compound on all the nuts and bolts.

• Mega Users

OH I hope you used anti-sieze compound on all the nuts and bolts.

I didn't and I generaly don't. Maybe I should start.I think I'm going to swap out the exhaust bolts next week for stainless ones and I will do it then. It wont take too long to loosen up the bolts on the turbo to dp, and dp to cbe and squirt some on their. I don't have the heat shield on anymore.

Thanks for all the good advice!

Okemo next weekend for the first time:rolleyes:

• Mega Users
The next thing that's getting taken care of is a new front bumper and clutch. I'll pay someone to do the bumper so I dont have to hack another one up.

You brush on the anti-sieze compound.

I have a friend who happens to own a body shop in Ellington, Mike Charette at Auto Authority, LLC 860 871 8138. He's not the cheapest but you will be impressed with the quality. They speciailize in restorations and do Body Work the pay the bills.

I'll be at Okemo all 3 day's. I do lunch at the Sugar House.

• Mega Users
You brush on the anti-sieze compound.

I have a friend who happens to own a body shop in Ellington, Mike Charette at Auto Authority, LLC 860 871 8138. He's not the cheapest but you will be impressed with the quality. They speciailize in restorations and do Body Work the pay the bills.

I'll be at Okemo all 3 day's. I do lunch at the Sugar House.

Nice, that's great news. Could he do a little custom fab work on the stock skin? like the space under the grill, maybe closing in the left and right near the fogs? What do you think hed charge for something like that?

I want to cover the fittings for the IC piping as they are currently exposed to the elements, thanks to my hack job....

Back when we had the civic done by them fiberglass was the choice to work with, the body kit was urathane. I know when my GF's punched a hole in the bumper cover of her 08 Frod Escape Mike said they have welders now then can fix urathane...

Call Mike, leave a message, use my name he'll call you back. He's at 121 Job's Hill Rd, Ellington.

• Mega Users
Back when we had the civic done by them fiberglass was the choice to work with, the body kit was urathane. I know when my GF's punched a hole in the bumper cover of her 08 Frod Escape Mike said they have welders now then can fix urathane...

Call Mike, leave a message, use my name he'll call you back. He's at 121 Job's Hill Rd, Ellington.

huh, maybe I wouldn't even need to buy a new bumper. For now I'm going to put some of that copper pipe insulation over it.

whats the deal with car washes and FMICs, I'm assuming you gotta go touchless.....

whats the deal with car washes and FMICs, I'm assuming you gotta go touchless.....

Don't get soap in the intercooler, haven't you read those threads....LOL

It's far enough back where it won't get hit by the hanging rags or brushes.

• Mega Users
Don't get soap in the intercooler, haven't you read those threads....LOL

:lol:

For the longest time I didn't know why the hell all of you guys were saying that.:lol:

• Mega Users
is it a big deal that the heat shield isnt on there. could I get a perrin shield that would fit, or maybe just do a turbo blanket since this will be seeing higher boost levels?

Yes do the turbo blanket and wire it on. I think that's going to be the easiest way to go and give you the most bang for the buck.

You do want something to keep the heat in and not out in the engine bay.

Archived