LegacyGT.com

Help me with my Stage 2 work

They say to use a 17mm stubby ratcheting wrench from Harbor fright. Hopefully Santa is bring me that set...

Stubbys are about the only tool we don't have.

This. Makes life much easier. I lost a washer so I had to do the job a second time. First time I did it with a non stubby, non ratching 17mm. Lets just say I wanted to kill anything in sight.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users

Question for the pros. If I keep the car out of boost, is it ok If I put the Perrin DP and stock CBE on the car w/o a tune for like a week?

Im trying to get as much installed for this stage 2 setup as I can, but work and the holidays take up a lot of time too. and the fact that im moving into a new apartment. Id like to put the DP and stock CBE on middle of next week, and then the FMIC on Friday night before I take it to the tuners on saturday morning....(that's if I get the FMIC before then.....)

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Question for the pros. If I keep the car out of boost, is it ok If I put the Perrin DP and stock CBE on the car w/o a tune for like a week?

Im trying to get as much installed for this stage 2 setup as I can, but work and the holidays take up a lot of time too. and the fact that im moving into a new apartment. Id like to put the DP and stock CBE on middle of next week, and then the FMIC on Friday night before I take it to the tuners on saturday morning....(that's if I get the FMIC before then.....)

Go to http://www.romraider.com, look for the base maps, download one of mickey Ds, reduce the WGDC, stay out of boost and you'll be ok running that for a safe, conservative stage 2 tune until you can get a real tune

• Mega Users
Go to www.romraider.com, look for the base maps, download one of mickey Ds, reduce the WGDC, stay out of boost and you'll be ok running that for a safe, conservative stage 2 tune until you can get a real tune

so now I need a tactrix cable......

• Mega Users
oh ya, oil has 3300 miles and planning on changing tonight or tomorrow. my oil gets pretty black around 2500 miles so I'm trying to change it more frequently

• Mega Users

so I figure while I change the oil, might as well put in the prosport oil filter adapter plate in as I planned on doing my gauges soon.(it goes in b/t the oil filter).....

The adapter plate has 4 holes for sensors, each hole comes with a bolt plug in the event that you dont put a sensor for a gauge in that hole (im not sure what other gauges besides temp/pressure you could possible run from that location).

So I go to screw in the plugs on all of the holes because I'm not going to install the gauges until the pod comes and I get free time. The plug screws aren't screwing in all the way so that the top of the screw is flush with the oil adapter plate, it leaves an obvious gap. I decided not to torque down to hard in the event that the I break one of the plugs. So I install the adapter plate, change the oil, rotate the tires, and drive over to grammys house to have lunch. I parked the car outside of the driveway bc I was nervous that it would be leaking oil. Sure enough when I got out, oil was all over the ground from the oil filter location. So I get home, jack the car up, take the filter and adapter plate, and torque the plug bolts down, which did not feel right. It felt like the plugs were getting stripped and I was torquing too hard. Sure enough, one of the heads on the plug snapped and game over......

So I'll be a little behind on the gauges. Clearly there was a little manufacturing defect here, or I'm a complete moron. All of the plugs and holes they screwed into were the same size. So Im waiting to hear back from Prosport........Wish I went mechanical.....

Did you put pipe tape on the threads. You put teflon pipe tape on the threads. you put 3 to 4 wraps of tape around the threads in the on direction.

It's also known as plumbers tape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=ytff-&p=teflon+pipe+tape

It also sounds like you missed the lesson about leak checking anything you do before you drive the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

you could also use the oil galley on the top of the motor under the top mount, atleast that what I did. I'm using a prosport premium.

Pictures ? of where it is

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• Mega Users
Did you put pipe tape on the threads. You put teflon pipe tape on the threads. you put 3 to 4 wraps of tape around the threads in the on direction.

It also sounds like you missed the lesson about leak checking anything you do before you drive the car.

definitely missed the lesson on leak testing. And im not sure how comfortable with using plumbers tape on something like this. it didnt say anything about using that in the videos as well. If that's what it takes to install this piece right then its not going on the car.

I put pipe tape on the threads of the NPT fittings for the oil pressure gauge and turbo feed lines and water cooling lines on the race car. I also put it on the oil pressure feed NPT fittings back on my 1970 Duster 340 back in the 70's.

At work we use Teflon pipe tape on all the NPT fittings. Some are pressure tested to 6000psi. This stuff is used in a lot of applications.

What did the instruction say to use to seal the fittings ?

• Mega Users

I put pipe tape on the threads of the NPT fittings for the oil pressure gauge and turbo feed lines and water cooling lines on the race car. I also put it on the oil pressure feed NPT fittings back on my 1970 Duster 340 back in the 70's.

At work we use Teflon pipe tape on all the NPT fittings. Some are pressure tested to 6000psi. This stuff is used in a lot of applications.

What did the instruction say to use to seal the fittings ?

no instructions in the package. guess I learned my lesson on this one. should've just let mike do it:lol:

here are some pictures of teflon pipe tape I put on. The first is the oil pressure sending unit to a turbo we put on one of Ryan's friends Integra. The second is a leak down tester I made.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/Picture044.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/Picture040-1.jpg

I don't have any good pictures of the 1/8npt brass nipple into the Honda blocks oil pressure galley which is BSPT threads. Over 100psi oil pressure and never leaked.

• Mega Users

nrw/max I like your installations a lot more. I'm really not a fan of the prosport adapter. i'll most likely do exactly what you did. Can this guy neil from VEI hook me up the the other fittings and line to remote mount the sender?

Just got the gauge pod from block8head. verrrry legit and will post pics once i get this setup take car of.

The oil galley is much easier and sandwich plates LOVE to leak. Only issue is that some aftermarket turbo compressor outlets physically interfere with the sensor in the galley. We had an issue with installation of an hta68 hitting the sending unit on the galley. We were forced to remove the sender.

• Mega Users
I'm real tight on time right now. I think I'm just gonna put the FMIC and exhaust on once the FMIC comes in and then hand the car off to Mike at Tuning Alliance to finish with the tune and the gauges. I would love to install them to get the "know how" on how to do it for future cars, but I just don't have time to figure it out right now. Just pinched for time....

You can get the fitting or use 1/8NPT to fit into the oil galley plug on the block, Ryan may have one at the house or you can go to any hardware store and get the 1/8NPT to #4 AN in the plumbing section.

When putting the 1/8NPT into the block with 3-4 wraps of teflon tape just put it in snuggly not real tight. the tape does the sealing

Oh Merry Christmas.

Archived