LegacyGT.com

Help me with my Stage 2 work

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users

The oil line kit wasn't too bad. In general its pretty self explanatory.

I did have trouble getting the stock oil feed off. The bolt that attaches it was pretty much stuck on the oil feed line. I had to use a lot of PB blaster and force to unscrew it. That made me nervous to put that kind of pressure on a flimsy line like that. It evetually cracked free, and nothing broke.

I have extra bracket that's right below the upper coolant reservoir that makes it very difficult to install the larger banjo. It also makes the shorter line in the kit coil up a little more than I would like. I dont want the line to be pinched. Ill try and get a pic to let you know what I'm talking about

All in all, its a very nice piece, and very servicable.

The group N transmission mount is very nice. I can see why the stock mount isnt like the Group Ns, just because of the noise that comes from the tranny after installation. But its incredible how much smoother it makes everything.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I wonder if a Elbow fitting coming off either end would help the interference. They make swivel ends for the hoses that are elbows too. Any shop like the Parker Store on Chaple st in Manchester next to Rt291 could make you up a hose or may be swap one end on that hose.

Got to run now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You're getting the clutch put on before the tune, right? You'll probably have to do a couple WOT runs to get the tune right, and I wouldn't count on your stock clutch holding all the way through. Either that, or you'll enjoy a week at stage 2 before it starts slipping. I don't even have a reinforced TMIC and mine started to slip almost immediately to the point that I had to turn my boost down and avoid more than 75% throttle. Your tuner is probably going to try for more power given that you have a FMIC

• Mega Users
thanks for the heads up. I'm already saving haha. I thought I could get away with the stocker for a little. I've heard mixed reviews...I'm going to drive pretty conservatively until I get a new one, which is NO fun....

• Mega Users

112233.JPG.125db8c076395cd97c4a3a504f44ac8e.JPG

see the bracket is circled. i MIGHT be able to fit it under the side of the back that the arrow is pointing too, but it wont fit around the avo intake. Im waiting for Mike, or someone that has one that knows, if it will fit around the stock airbox and under that side of the bracket indicated by the arrow. I'm pretty sure the 2007-2009s are the only cars to have that bracket....

http://www.behrents.com/mm5/Catalog/PDF_files/Plumbing.pdf

Ryan used to have a account with them.

On the bottom of page 46 is a list of mm pipe to AN adpators. You could replace the banjo bolt with one of them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• Mega Users

FMIC is ordered, should be in by end of next week. that's when I'll install the dp and fmic. short shift is going in either today or thursday. gauge pod coming in end of this week, gauges going in xmas even hopefully

max I think I'm putting the stock exhaust back on regardless. Did you recommend a muffler shop to do the Tips? I can remember.

I would like to check your spec or wagon out sometime....

Yes, Carr's on rt83 in rockville next to the CVS. If you want to go with different tips or muffler deletes.

The Speed shop on rt83 down by Koles and the Toyota dealership in that small plaza across from the package store. They have nice Gibson tips.

I get out of work at 3:30 and will be driving through vernon area on 84 about 4PM. DOes that work for you ?

Or over the weekend just pull the mufflers off you car and start it up. With cat's in the exhaust and the stock mid pipe it's not that loud.

• Mega Users
I get out at 5 most of the times 6 especially around the new year. we'll work something out one of these days. I might just yank off the mufflers and see whats going on

I get out at 5 most of the times 6 especially around the new year. we'll work something out one of these days. I might just yank off the mufflers and see whats going on

gettin rid of the megan?

i been thinkin bout doin the tips on mine too actually...

• Mega Users
gettin rid of the megan?

i been thinkin bout doin the tips on mine too actually...

yup. its rusting out real bad where the mid pipe meets the downpipe, exhaust leak has been rotting it out. Plus the cans look like crap and it clanks against the drive shaft and heat shields. Putting the stocker back on a doing the tips. You should do the same.

oh ya good point

When you bolt them back up put two washers in between the flanges and see how it sounds. My catless wagon has two thick washers on each bolt. Three washers was to crappy sounding.

• Mega Users

OK Kartboy STS is in without the Kartboy bushings. It feels very nice. No tightness between gears at all. Very satisfyingly short shifts as well. I haven't driven it on the road yet though. Just between first and reverse in the driveway. Such an easy upgrade, and I'm sorry to forget the person that wrote up the DIY but props to you.

I got a little creative when it came to trimming the shifter plate. no dremel in this neck of the woods.

mail1.jpg.5aa244319db953379da9201118d0a26e.jpg

notice here for the second cut i had remove the blade and put it thru the shifter plate and reconnect. wedged it between my boot and held with my hand and the second cut was done in a couple of minutes.

mail2.jpg.70e6ef71248204da8f0462868b86b00c.jpg

I am getting a slight oil leak from the cap on the old oil feed for the turbo. (I think) Slightly nervous about this. I retightened today. We will see if its still leaking tomorrow.

I'm getting some transmission smells as well (I think). I'm assuming it has to be from the Group N tranny mount and the clutch getting used to the changes. I was very nervous at first that it might be the turbo, and the new oil line wasn't feeding properly. I opened up the Oil Filter, now that it's very easily serviceable with the new kit:), and sure enough there was oil. So I dont think its the turbo. The smell is pretty noticeable especially when you pop the hood. Max can you comment on this with your wagon? I cant remember if you're running a stock clutch on that or not.

"kink" in oil line is not a kink. Can not kink steel braided line like that. Insulation is Very thick, so it looks worse than it is.

It will fit "cleaner" with the OEM air box. But it is not an issue. "Bracket" you refer to is a heatshield for the injectors. 99% of people who swap injectors remove the shield and do not replace it.

"I am getting a slight oil leak from the cap on the old oil feed for the turbo. (I think) Slightly nervous about this. I retightened today. We will see if its still leaking tomorrow."

I think your talking about the banjo bolt, which has crush washers ? You can get a package of crush washers from the auto parts store. They are the same as used on the brake calipers. They'll be near the nut's and bolts.

Oil smell is most likely a oil leak from the valve cover. It doesn't have to be very large to smell a lot.

My stock didn't have any issues when I put the tranny mount in back in Aug 04.

• Mega Users

SAM_1557.thumb.jpg.f4209a475a94ced8d2d345f1a3406d7c.jpg

thats the cap that im talking about that blocks off the old line to the turbo. now that you say you didnt notice any transmission type smells its probably the oil leaking from the old line near that cap in the pic and burning on something. i just think it would be way to much of a coincidence that right when I installed the oil line I was getting that smell....

• Mega Users
That's the line that comes up from the banjo on the bqack of the head, I'd check that banjo for drippage and tightness too.

yaaa I probably should, maybe the banjo loosened up when I was trying to take the old line off. PITA to get to though.....

They say to use a 17mm stubby ratcheting wrench from Harbor fright. Hopefully Santa is bring me that set...

Stubbys are about the only tool we don't have.

Archived