LegacyGT.com

Official Skiing and Snowboarding thread

Brady

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i can attest that it is.

the only issue is that the snow line is fairly high up, therefore necessitating the 5,620ft climb to the top (altitude of 7,300ft) via 2 gondolas and a chair lift. you can further hike to the subpeak where most of the freestyle competition was being held.

also because of the warmer temperatures, it tends to rain a lot at the base but be snowing at the peak, almost anything below the chair lift up top can get glazed over by rain and freeze overnight which makes many of the lower runs useless.

7,300 feet! :lol:

It's weird to see such low numbers for me anymore. Breck and Keystone both have mountain bases over 9000 feet. I can only imagine how much easier it is to breathe there!

Temps aren't usually bad either. There are exceptions, but usually alright. Breckenridge his the highest lift in North Anerica topping out at 12840 feet with a 160' hike to 12,998 on Peak 8. Poor JDMChizad thought he was going to die last season. :lol:

ACZwild : reported on 9news today

MINTURN, Colo. (AP) - A 29-year-old man is recovering after he broke his leg on an out-of-bounds ski run near Minturn.

The Eagle County Sheriff's Office says the unidentified man broke his leg on the Minturn Mile ski run.

Authorities did not say how the accident happened.

The man had to be rescued by the Vail Ski Patrol and Vail Mountain Rescue after a helicopter was unable to land.

Temps aren't usually bad either. There are exceptions, but usually alright. Breckenridge his the highest lift in North Anerica topping out at 12840 feet with a 160' hike to 12,998 on Peak 8. Poor JDMChizad thought he was going to die last season. :lol:

sounds awesome though. i'm adding that to my list of US resorts to visit. do you have any recommendations for UT resorts? preferably closer to SLC since i'd have to fly in. i know alta and snowbird are relatively close.

i'll take your CO recommendations as well while we're at it, haha.

as for longest run...i know whistler has a 7 mile long run but not sure if that one can boast the highest consistent rise.

double edit: comment taken back, haha

btw, anyone have opinions on the marker griffon bindings? how do they differ from the squire?

edit:

here's a cool vid showing revelstoke at its best

also another from chris rubens doing a mini tour of some of the resorts in western canada where i spend most of my time. chris is also originally from calgary, used to be my buddy's neighbor, but now is a pro skier and does stuff like this for a living......i'm jealous.

It wasn't ACZwild - he just asked about the Minturn Mile earlier in the thread.

I haven't skied much in Utah yet. Just Alta and Powder Mountain. I am not familiar with either well enough to really comment.

Bachelor was good yesterday. 4" of blower powder and temps in the single digits and low teens. Another 4" fell last night so today should be epic. It's 6* there right now.

It's a face mask day :D

16" overnight at Bachelor. They're calling it a true blizzard. Not sure what lifts will run today but it will be limited for sure. They said it will seem like nothing is groomed because the cats cant keep up. I'm not going until tomorrow anyways.

All the sudden we have 77" at mid mountain. With a hell of a lot more on the way. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.98886243884903&lon=-121.68182373046875&site=pdt&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

There's 6-8" on the ground in Bend right now and it's dumping heavily.

As of 7 this morning we have had 74" in 72 hrs. :eek:

Today was nuts. No power so they are running everything off diesel generator backup. Then Skyliner broke and we rode in the back of a pickup over to the main lodge. At least half the parking was buried so they ran out of parking by 10am. Got a couple runs on Pine then had to head back over to the deserted part of the mountain to get back to my car to go to work. At least I got there early and got a some runs before it turned into a gong show.

The sketchiest thing was transitioning from ungroomed to groomed. The ledges were 2-3 feet tall and you couldn't see them. You would be shredding along in bottomless then all the sudden fall onto groomer. I saw a few people eat shit like that and I did myself too. :spin:

Archived