LegacyGT.com

BRZ video

DeathD

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Cobb had a BRZ AP out within a couple of months of the official release of the car.

As for increasing driving pleasure... having a strong (and I do NOT mean 143 lb-ft) torque surge low down in the rev range really makes a car like this fun, and was something that I loved about the LGT (once the turbo spooled up of course)

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Cobb had a BRZ AP out within a couple of months of the official release of the car.

As for increasing driving pleasure... having a strong (and I do NOT mean 143 lb-ft) torque surge low down in the rev range really makes a car like this fun, and was something that I loved about the LGT (once the turbo spooled up of course)

Apparently there are other ways to define "driving pleasure," thankfully.

Excerpted from the Autocar review:http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/262247/

Better:http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=36869548&postcount=3

Above that, with peak torque chiming in between 6400rpm and 6600rpm, Subaru’s flat four takes is fizzy and flamboyant. Enough to excite the BRZ’s driver and enliven its chassis. Enough to make our little Mazda feel distinctly lower-rung, even though it’s still rewarding. But not so much to make you feel irresponsible about giving the BRZ its head on the road.

Exercising the same commitment corner after corner, you discover all that fuss was 100 per cent deserved. A low centre of gravity means roll control is first rate. That enhances the sense of accuracy you get from the BRZ’s steering, and contributes to balance and agility of genuinely breathtaking order. Turn-in is instinctive. The BRZ takes no time to settle into a steady cornering state, even under high lateral loads. The engine’s linear power curve gets together with the torque-sensing limited-slip differential to allow you to play with the car’s cornering attitude in a spellbindingly delicate and precise fashion.

This is a sports car first and a fast car second – which is refreshing to report. While the BRZ’s limits are impressive, it’s more the breadth and habitability of the margins of its handling that end up holding your imagination hostage. You don’t need to goad it. Just drive it with the same smooth composure and exactness that characterises the car vividly. Once you’re on terms with it, it becomes playful, subtle and totally beguiling. You can’t help falling for it.

Neither the 370Z nor the MX-5 can thrill at that level. Compared to Subaru, they look like blunt, dull communicators here, outclassed by a new affordable driver’s car of amazing delicacy and extraordinary talent. One that could be the best sports car to come out of Japan since the Honda NSX, and that must be worth £25k from anyone who knows what sunny weekends and great roads were really made for.

Non sequitur much?

I don't even know what you mean by that. :iam:

I'm not sure why you are so hung up on my comments. If you don't understand keep it moving. :cool: I have no time to play forum crashers with the eHard crowd, I'm too old.

"One interesting stat that showed up on the line graph was a 14-percent drop in torque between 3,200 and 4,500 RPM. This was reportedly done by engineers on purpose to increase driving pleasure lower in the rev range, which sounds like a solid compromise to us."

Not sure how it increases driver pleasure, but that's the excuse they give.

Anyone know how that increases driver pleasure?

Daily driving is usually below 3k rpm and they probably improved torque in that range at the cost of the torque around 4k. Add to it that by having the engine smooth at lower rpms it's easier to get a good fuel economy and coping with emissions regulations.

Nothing that can't be changed by a good tuner. Or a turbocharging.

453747.png

• I Donated
I'm not sure why you are so hung up on my comments. If you don't understand keep it moving. :cool: I have no time to play forum crashers with the eHard crowd, I'm too old.

Oh, so now you're getting butt-hurt because someone dares to question your logic? :lol:

Will it drift?

Consumer Reports says, "oooooh yeah."

Baruth thinks that's only true if you're, "a licensed, experienced racer with a free pass to shitcan someone else’s $25,000 car sans consequences." http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/04/ft-86-will-it-blend-i-mean-doooorift/

Discuss.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Will it drift?

Consumer Reports says, "oooooh yeah."

Baruth thinks that's only true if you're, "a licensed, experienced racer with a free pass to shitcan someone else’s $25,000 car sans consequences." http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/04/ft-86-will-it-blend-i-mean-doooorift/

Discuss.

That CR video ought to put to rest all the B.S. complaining about how CR should only review toasters and don't know anything about cars.

Daily driving is usually below 3k rpm and they probably improved torque in that range at the cost of the torque around 4k. Add to it that by having the engine smooth at lower rpms it's easier to get a good fuel economy and coping with emissions regulations.

Nothing that can't be changed by a good tuner. Or a turbocharging.

If they adjusted the tune for the FB25 for the RWD platform I bet they could have a N/A roadster with 200 to the wheels, maybe more, and a broader power band.

But we all know the FA20T is on the horizon to satisfy the power hunger or at least I hope since the EJ is about to be put to rest with the newer WRX.

• I Donated
If they adjusted the tune for the FB25 for the RWD platform I bet they could have a N/A roadster with 200 to the wheels, maybe more, and a broader power band.

Nah bro, the FA20 only got there because it has direct injection. Besides, a heavier engine would have compromised handling.

Nah bro, the FA20 only got there because it has direct injection. Besides, a heavier engine would have compromised handling.

Very aggressive :lol: there is no replacement for displacement the difference btwn FA vs FB is DI. .5L more of displacement in a FA variant would mean gains you can't argue that:redface:

• I Donated
Very aggressive :lol: there is no replacement for displacement the difference btwn FA vs FB is DI. .5L more of displacement in a FA variant would mean gains you can't argue that:redface:

The FB25 makes less power than the FA20, and there is no FA25. You were saying? :rolleyes:

To be fair, I think the difference in weight between a FA20 and a FA25 would be negligible. Slightly heavier pistons, slightly heavier cylinder linings, slightly heavier crank. But overall, probably only a few pounds.

I think they chose 2.0L over 2.5L for the fuel efficiency and emissions. Remember, in a lot of markets car owners are taxed based on the car's CO2 output. By going with a 2.0L they essentially cut CO2 emissions by about 20%.

The FB25 makes less power than the FA20, and there is no FA25. You were saying? :rolleyes:

btwn FA vs FB is DI. .5L more of displacement in a FA variant would mean gains you can't argue that

Read.:icon_mad:

As in, IF there were a FA variant in the 2.5L class.

Archived