LegacyGT.com

Subaru BRZ Concept STI - Pictures Released

Chameleon

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got to sit in it today. My reaction:

Interior is very sleek. I liked the look and feel of pretty much everything.

There is no back seat. Ok, yes, the seat is there, but in my driving position the back of the driver's seat actually touches the back seat.

It's remarkably smaller than a Genesis.

The seats in the one I sat in were very highly bolstered and fit me perfectly. (5' 10" 165lbs) The driving position is excellent.

I conferred with the Subaru rep and she confirmed base is expected to be $25k and the option package "around" $27k - no discussion of a turbo version

I want it.

There was no FR-S available to compare it to.

It's at the DC Auto Show. You have to wait in line and they let you behind the velvet rope and you can sit in it and get an up close look.

I was way too excited so I didn't get a look at the details like I should have.

It's my understanding they had one available at the Phily show and people were allowed to get in it. So I'll bet you'll be allowed in at the Chicago show too.

I was at the Philly auto show yesterday and nobody was allowed near it... it was roped off. Also the FRS wasn't there which I found interesting.

I was at the Philly auto show yesterday and nobody was allowed near it... it was roped off. Also the FRS wasn't there which I found interesting.

There was a guy on Jalopnik that said he got in it and took pics at the Philly show. I don't know what the deal is.

There was a woman stationed at the one in DC and she let people in one or two at a time.

I wonder if they let the reps decide if they want to do that.

Chatted with a rep at a local dealer today. Was told that they don't expect demos until May, when they gonna have a presentation of the car at the dealership. Also was told that Subaru is gonna be producing them for export at a rate of 600/month at most, meaning 1 per U.S. dealership per month. So, I take it, it should be interpreted as "you, sir, better pre-order soon". D/k if this is true or just a sales pitch ;)

I wanted to say that I too was able to get behind the ropes and sit in/look under the hood (picture attached) of the DC Autoshow BRZ. The seats, as everyone has mentioned, are phenomenal.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7007/6807509695_36ef9dbfcc_b.jpg

I personally am comparing this car directly to a "used" 2008ish Lotus Exige as my next fun car and unfortunately I was a bit disappointed. I just found the outside to unfortunately look kind of cheap. Ultimately the car will be utilized most on the track so this variable really doesn't hold a candle in the grand scheme of things. On the flip side I am going to await the arrival of the eventual BRZ STI and then reevaluate the comparison/ eventual purchase.

I was unable to sit in the Philly show's BRZ, but I lingered at the valet rope for a long time. I am super interested in this car, but whether I trade my 135 for it will depend entirely on how well my kids fit. Luckily, my wife and I are shorties (5'7"). The seats were adjusted all the way back at the show, so naturally there was almost no leg room, but I'm hopeful that with the seats adjusted for me that there will be okay room.

The only thing I don't really like about the styling is the spoiler on the top-spec version. I think it looks much better with nothing on the deck lid. Sadly, the heated seats come only on the top-spec version, and I promised myself I'd never buy another car without heated seats.

whether I trade my 135 for it will depend entirely on how well my kids fit. Luckily, my wife and I are shorties (5'7"). The seats were adjusted all the way back at the show, so naturally there was almost no leg room, but I'm hopeful that with the seats adjusted for me that there will be okay room.

Get used to driving your 135.

Seriously, it was almost comical.

I sat in one at the DC auto show this past Saturday and at about 6' tall, there was zero leg room behind me with the seat properly adjusted. Consider the back seat more of a storage shelf or extended trunk when you fold down the seats.

That said, the exterior of the car looked better in person than in stills and I was quite impressed. The interior was simple, attractive, and well put together, but had very little Subaru DNA except for the steering wheel. The seats were very supportive and should be fairly comfortable except for heavier fellows. And the seating position, like most Japanese sports cars, is ass-scrapingly low and reminded me of a slightly lower seating position than that of the 350Z and G37 coupe.

I look forward to taking one for a test drive, although I personally would rather hold out for a turbocharged version. Also, the car is very small looking from the outside and because of this it seems less masculine of course that helps keep down the weight and improve handling.

New BRZ Ad.

Translations:

Scene in the past

Son: Vrooom!

Father: Yosuke, do you wanna drive?

Yosuke: Vrooom!

Yelling Scene

Father: WAIT!

Yosuke: Try and stop me! (I think...)

Father: What's wrong?!

Yosuke: (shouts something incomprehensible to my foreign ears)

Father: GET OUT!

Scene in House

Yosuke: I'm home.

Mother: Welcome home.

Girlfriend: Onegai-Shimasu (a common courteous thing to say in Japanese)

Yosuke: This is Naoko.

Naoko: Nice to meet you.

Mother: Nice to meet you too.

Mother: Your father is in the usual place (the garage?)

Outside

Yosuke: Do you want to drive?

In Car

Father: This is a good car.

Yosuke: Thank you.

Narrator: What is your story with your car?

Thanks to redtyper for translation.

Archived