LegacyGT.com

Subaru BRZ Concept STI - Pictures Released

Chameleon

Because then you are trying to fuel from two independent sources, which would each require their own control.

It's like trying to run two sets of injectors, and each set being a different size. It can be done, but it takes a long time.

Add to that that the fact that the ECU doesn't have any provisions for running port-injection at high RPM and you are facing a huge battle right from the get-go.

The easiest, and likely best thing to do, would be to convert to Port-injection only, or use DI for low-load and cruise, and port injection only at higher loads and open-loop fueling.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if you set a static level to the DI injectors, like setting them to run at a peak efficiency percentage, then you could just adjust the PI for anything above and beyond what the DI injectors could handle. DI gets much better efficiency than PI, and can make more power than the PI injectors can handle. Or am I just talking out of my ass?

I think you are talking a bit out of your rear, yes.

Setting a "static" DI output isn't really possible, because fueling changes dynamically. Your best bet I would imagine, is to use DI during closed loop, and PI in open-loop. It'd still be kind of a pain, but closed-loop fueling is pretty straight forward.

The trick will be whether or not you can disable the existing parameters for DI/PI fueling.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The projected mileage for the BRZ has been surprisingly low. I'm hoping the official numbers are much higher.

I agree. I was expecting better. Has fuel grade been officially released yet? It would suck if it required 93.

I agree. I was expecting better. Has fuel grade been officially released yet? It would suck if it required 93.

I think I read somewhere that it can run on lower octane fuels but they needed 93 to hit the 200 hp mark. I think they have to recommend premium if they spec everything based off it, but I could be wrong.

I wish the BRZ / FR-S would have hit the 230 hp mark someway somehow. For what the car is supposed to be, I am sure 200 is a decent number, especially since it is so small... but I would want just a little more in a straight line. To its credit, a Miata is just 167 Hp and also recommends premium unleaded. I am sure this has all been discussed and beat to death, I just decided to jump in this thread.

With a 12.5:1 compression ratio, I'm sure Premium is preferred if not mandatory.

The EPA hasn't released official mileage numbers yet, but I will be surprised if the BRZ isn't north of 30mpg highway. I can average 29mpg in my spec.B which is 700lbs heavier and doesn't have as good aero or direct injection. Magazines keep estimating around 28-29mpg highway and I just don't see how that can be possible.

With a 12.5:1 compression ratio, I'm sure Premium is preferred if not mandatory.

The EPA hasn't released official mileage numbers yet, but I will be surprised if the BRZ isn't north of 30mpg highway. I can average 29mpg in my spec.B which is 700lbs heavier and doesn't have as good aero or direct injection. Magazines keep estimating around 28-29mpg highway and I just don't see how that can be possible.

I was thinking the same. I CAN get 29mpg on the highway. The BRZ should be able to easily beat that.

You driving with an egg between your foot and the accelerator? That is good.

Keep in mind this is pure highway driving. Cruise control set at 72-73mph from one gas station to the next across upper New York. So pretty ideal conditions. But I expect more from the BRZ.

I have been reading articles on both the BRZ and the Genesis Coupe. Two different cars, but nonetheless I am sure they will be cross-shopped. Based on what I have read, the 3.8 V6 is the only Gen Coupe to buy, but maybe with the 2013 power increase the 2.0T will become a better option than the last version. But if the BRZ gets excellent gas mileage, it could potentially beat both as a DD (especially the V6).

Personally, with the BRZ and the 2013 Genesis Coupe coming out, I think a slightly used MT 3.8 Gen Coupe Track will become a great buy. You will probably be able to get RWD, N/A 300 hp, Brembos, 6MT for around $20-22k. Gas mileage will be so-so with the V6... but still.

I might be in the wrong thread here. I am just talking aloud. Carry on.

I have been reading articles on both the BRZ and the Genesis Coupe. Two different cars, but nonetheless I am sure they will be cross-shopped. Based on what I have read, the 3.8 V6 is the only Gen Coupe to buy, but maybe with the 2013 power increase the 2.0T will become a better option than the last version. But if the BRZ gets excellent gas mileage, it could potentially beat both as a DD (especially the V6).

Personally, with the BRZ and the 2013 Genesis Coupe coming out, I think a slightly used MT 3.8 Gen Coupe Track will become a great buy. You will probably be able to get RWD, N/A 300 hp, Brembos, 6MT for around $20-22k. Gas mileage will be so-so with the V6... but still.

I was actually cross shopping all three. However given the fact that my 05 LGT is still plenty fast for me but a pig when it comes to gas mileage and because I live in the tri-state having big power doesn't really matter as much anymore. I just want to go a different direction with my next car and also get better gas mileage too considering it cost me 57 bucks this morning to fill the LGT.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

^ come on diesel Subaru in the states...

Brz mileage will probably be real reasonable. I don't think anyone was trying to beat sport coupe mpg records or anything but especially compared to our legacies, should be pretty good.

Anyone averaging over 20 in a legacy is spending way more time on the freeway than I do. 15 mile each way commute on surface streets, lots of stop lights = 15.9 mpg consistently. 17 if I have zero fun for a whole week. I hate my mpg but love my legacy... Gonna be tough to find anything I can afford that would beat it overall.

The Genesis buying guide is this:

Leaving it stock? Get the V6

Looking to mod? Get the 2.0T

I've driven both variants, and the trans is fine in both. Definitely better than the cable 6MT in the 2010+ LGT.

Archived