• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New BRZ Ad.

Yelling Scene

Father: WAIT!

Yosuke: Try and stop me! (I think...)

Father: What's wrong?!

Yosuke: (shouts something incomprehensible to my foreign ears)

Father: GET OUT!

He yelled something I believe that was somewhere along the lines of "worthless father" or old man but a bit more filled with anger and slang.

I think it was a nice compliment to the Father and Daughter (U.S. version) Subaru Legacy commercial. If Subaru catered to the stereotypical "car enthusiasts" audience, it wouldn't be a Japanese commercial from Subaru.

I'm really glad that this thread is getting away from whiney fanboys kvetching about this car being rwd and NA. It really seems like the brz is a great car.

I'm sure it will be a wonderful, slow, car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm sure it will be a wonderful, slow, car.

A 2700 lb 200 hp car may seem slow to most of the guys on this forum who have 300-400 hp, but to most people this will be a pretty quick and fun car to drive. The average car weighs more than this and is heavier, plus most cars these days are FWD. It's nice to see more RWD cars coming back, and if it can be fun to drive and get around 30 mpg then it can make a better dd than an LGT whenever there isn't snow on the ground.....it's all relative.

A 2700 lb 200 hp car may seem slow to most of the guys on this forum who have 300-400 hp, but to most people this will be a pretty quick and fun car to drive. The average car weighs more than this and is heavier, plus most cars these days are FWD. It's nice to see more RWD cars coming back, and if it can be fun to drive and get around 30 mpg then it can make a better dd than an LGT whenever there isn't snow on the ground.....it's all relative.

This will be a great, slow car.

Nothing wrong with being slow, though most in this thread seems to get awfully hurt about that comment. It'll just be slow.

If you are looking for a great handling coupe, and don't care that it'll be slow, then this will be great.

I'll wait for a fast version before looking into it. Considering the "fast isn't the point" fanboys in this thread, when they are released they should be pretty easy to get.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That is a lot of e-brake action!

Not really impressive, or any indicator of performance.

I'd get on board with the BRZ if it had 270-300hp and no direct injection.

Lack of expansion, mostly. HPFP's are expensive, and getting high pressure AND high flow is even more expensive. So to modify a DI engine, you are forced to either sacrifice some fuel pressure and decrease efficiency, run secondary injectors in a port-injection configuration, which sucks, or cough up big bucks to do it "right".

Not to mention, DI injectors aren't cheap and are limited in their ability to handle high cylinder pressures.

A port-injection setup is less efficient, but it also costs much less to improve. For those interested in power modification, it's as simple as a new pump and new injectors.

From an engineering standpoint, DI is much better. But it deters the aftermarket from heavy support which makes power modifications more expensive in general.

It's nothing against DI, just that I'd prefer port-injection to keep aftermarket costs lower and potential of the platform higher.

Lack of expansion, mostly. HPFP's are expensive, and getting high pressure AND high flow is even more expensive. So to modify a DI engine, you are forced to either sacrifice some fuel pressure and decrease efficiency, run secondary injectors in a port-injection configuration, which sucks, or cough up big bucks to do it "right".

Not to mention, DI injectors aren't cheap and are limited in their ability to handle high cylinder pressures.

A port-injection setup is less efficient, but it also costs much less to improve. For those interested in power modification, it's as simple as a new pump and new injectors.

From an engineering standpoint, DI is much better. But it deters the aftermarket from heavy support which makes power modifications more expensive in general.

It's nothing against DI, just that I'd prefer port-injection to keep aftermarket costs lower and potential of the platform higher.

Well, you're in luck. The FA20 uses Toyota's D4S system which has both Direct injectors AND Port injectors. Modders can increase the duty cycles and/or size of the port injectors to meet higher fuel needs. It'll mean a bit more work for the ECU guys, but should offer a lot of flexibility.

A nice side benefit of the D4S setup is that it should keep intake valve buildup to a minimum, unlike the Audi and Porsche systems that need regular upper end cleanings.

In the FA20, only DI operates at high RPM. PI turns off.

I foresee it being a tuning nightmare.

In the FA20, only DI operates at high RPM. PI turns off.

I foresee it being a tuning nightmare.

We'll see. It will depend on how it's handled and how open the ECU is. It might just be a matter of changing the fuel tables for the PI. Or, you could be right and the PI cutoff can't be modified like throttle hang-time. But we don't know yet. The potential is there for it to be a great tuner's engine when the turbo version is brought to the table. Only the future will tell.

I think the car looks good. I sat in one at the auto show here in D.C. Other than the seats and steering wheel, the car screams cheap. The buttons suck as well as the plastic interior trim pieces. Reminded me of my tc but of course its just my opinion.

We'll see. It will depend on how it's handled and how open the ECU is. It might just be a matter of changing the fuel tables for the PI. Or, you could be right and the PI cutoff can't be modified like throttle hang-time. But we don't know yet. The potential is there for it to be a great tuner's engine when the turbo version is brought to the table. Only the future will tell.

I think the best bet, will be disabling direct injection for those that modify significantly (aftermarket turbo kits and things like that).

It greatly depends on the PI injector drivers in the ECU. They may or may not be able to handle running ONLY PI across the entire rev range.

Lets hope the turbo model leaves more on the table than the N/A is going to.

Archived