LegacyGT.com

Grab some coffee. Let's talk about Hyundai

That 3.8 coupe doesn't give me a woodie - meh. I'd snap up a one of their coups the day they announce they're putting the sedan's 5.0l in it. In the interim, I'm seriously considering a 2.0t for the wife. Good luck bud.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That 3.8 coupe doesn't give me a woodie - meh. I'd snap up a one of their coups the day they announce they're putting the sedan's 5.0l in it. In the interim, I'm seriously considering a 2.0t for the wife. Good luck bud.

The 3.8 actually sounds quite nice, actually don't mind if it was a little louder. Definitely prefer it over a 4 cyl engine.

Jesus man. Bosco was simply stating that he did the research, and bought the more powerful Sonata 2.0T. It is quicker, 0-60 and 1/4 mile than all three Legacys. It is also cheaper, better put together, more effcient and better equipped. Everything I have read has told me the Sonata stops quicker dry/wet and has higher lane change speeds. You can wave the AWD flag all you like, but at the end of the day, the Hyundai will still be the better car.

Read the Car and Driver comparison. Hyundai has done a good job of selling their slight (1 second) performance advantage in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Does that 1 second really equate to much? Is it a hook and will it be one in 4-5 years when trading in? IMHO the Hyundai is better in terms of styling, some of the plastics and slightly better in some performance specs. Unlike what some people have thrusted upon me, I don't hate Hyundai's. I even considered them when buying our Legacy. Other people can do what they want.

Those Car and Driver numbers are real. The Subaru would stop even faster and handle better with the same sized tires as the Hyundai. The Hyundai does well against other four door four cylinder front wheel drive sedans. Like BAC's says though, in four or five years when you go to sell the Sonata, is the Hyundai going to have that "hook" or just be another four cylinder front wheen drive four door?

Sonata owners need to face the facts. It's a four cylinder front wheel drive four door. There are several million of them out there. Styling is a short term hook.

Bac's hit the nail on the head. Hyundai is searching for a "hook". Dude from where ever has two pick up trucks. Pick ups have a "hook" new and used. The hook isn't styling. It's utility. BMW's have a hook. It might be diluted or evolving, but it's a hook. Mercedes has a hook. Subaru has a hook.

Hyundai is searching for their hook. You don't develop a hook based on performance based on a four door four cylinder sedan or durability overnight. A warranty isn't a hook. It's a bandage. Even if a car is covered, who wants the inconvenience of taking their car in or getting it fixed? You can buy a warranty for practically any car.

Hyundai's current goal is to produce more and more cars. I don't see a car that there is a gazillion of being a cult classic or having a hook. Some people may like it and pick up truck may be able to have 100-200 similar cars sitting on the new and used car dealers lots, but I don't.

• I Donated
Bac's hit the nail on the head. Hyundai is searching for a "hook". Dude from where ever has two pick up trucks. Pick ups have a "hook" new and used. The hook isn't styling. It's utility. BMW's have a hook. It might be diluted or evolving, but it's a hook. Mercedes has a hook. Subaru has a hook.

What is Toyota's hook?

You don't develop a hook based on performance based on a four door four cylinder sedan or durability overnight. A warranty isn't a hook. It's a bandage. Even if a car is covered, who wants the inconvenience of taking their car in or getting it fixed? You can buy a warranty for practically any car.

The durability is there. Reference the CR and JDPower results earlier in the thread.

Requesting thread title change to "Put down the coffee. Let's talk ONLY Hyundai."

+1

I saw a Sonata and an Optima today. The Optima is a much better looking car. If it were RWD with an MT, it could be a winner.

I think that would be a great direction for Hyundai/Kia. Transition over to RWD.

It's a shame that so many people are misinformed about RWD, just like they are misinformed about diesel engines.

Toyota has no hook anymore. Not for an enthusiast, anyway.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What is Toyota's hook?

The durability is there. Reference the CR and JDPower results earlier in the thread.

Did I mention Toyota? I didn't think I mentioned them? They had a long term established reputation until recently. Those are very strong hooks and there will be a whole bunch of customers going back to them once things get straightened out.

Durability and quality from one generation (the most recent) of cars isn't enough to establish a track record or history of quality for Hyundai. If you look at previous generations of Hyundai's, they are below average and not recommended in many rating services.

+1

I saw a Sonata and an Optima today. The Optima is a much better looking car. If it were RWD with an MT, it could be a winner.

I think that would be a great direction for Hyundai/Kia. Transition over to RWD.

It's a shame that so many people are misinformed about RWD, just like they are misinformed about diesel engines.

Toyota has no hook anymore. Not for an enthusiast, anyway.

I agree completely. Front wheel drive has seen it's day come and go.

No it hasn't. FWD is still a GREAT option for most people, and it's ideal for a lot of types of cars.

I just think that cars with performance aspirations would benefit from more performance oriented drivetrain layouts. With few exceptions, FWD is not a performance drivetrain layout.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

No it hasn't. FWD is still a GREAT option for most people, and it's ideal for a lot of types of cars.

I just think that cars with performance aspirations would benefit from more performance oriented drivetrain layouts. With few exceptions, FWD is not a performance drivetrain layout.

We can agree that cars with performance aspirations would benefit from rwd. I will even agree that fwd is a great option for most people. I still feel that front wheel drive excelled during the econobox, no traction control, cost cutting, mileage days of the past.

• I Donated
Did I mention Toyota? I didn't think I mentioned them?

So? I did.

They had a long term established reputation until recently. Those are very strong hooks and there will be a whole bunch of customers going back to them once things get straightened out.

And their reputation was that they produced dependable, no-fuss transportation appliances. Hyundai wants in on that hook, and IMO, they are succeeding.

Durability and quality from one generation (the most recent) of cars isn't enough to establish a track record or history of quality for Hyundai. If you look at previous generations of Hyundai's, they are below average and not recommended in many rating services.

No, they aren't. You have to go back a decade to get to that point. (In some cases, only 6-7 years, but that's still a long time in the auto industry.)

Used Hyundai Sonata Models

The previous, fourth-generation Hyundai Sonata was produced from 2006-'10 and is really the only version worth considering as a used Sonata.

Newer pre-owned Sonatas are also a solid choice, but models prior to 2006 remain a risky used-car proposition.-Edmunds

• I Donated
Used Hyundai Sonata Models

The previous, fourth-generation Hyundai Sonata was produced from 2006-'10 and is really the only version worth considering as a used Sonata.

Newer pre-owned Sonatas are also a solid choice, but models prior to 2006 remain a risky used-car proposition.-Edmunds

So? 2006-2012. 6 years. What did I say that was incorrect?

Also, they're wrong:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/thefultonhow/Subaru/hyundaireliability-1.jpg

The V6 Sonata has been a solid bet for the last 10 years.

So? 2006-2012. 6 years. What did I say that was incorrect?

Also, they're wrong:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/thefultonhow/Subaru/hyundaireliability-1.jpg

The V6 Sonata has been a solid bet for the last 10 years.

Edmunds is a reliable rating source. Even your ratings don't have Hyundai as excellent...that would be an indication of excellence. Toyota and Honda got top ratings for years on end to establish their credibility. Your half red circles are just better than average. All these ratings do is show that Hyundai caught up. Nothing superlative there...

Hyundai is searching for their hook. You don't develop a hook based on performance based on a four door four cylinder sedan or durability overnight. A warranty isn't a hook. It's a bandage. Even if a car is covered, who wants the inconvenience of taking their car in or getting it fixed? You can buy a warranty for practically any car.

Seriously, you should do some research before you post anything. The reliability is there and has been for about a decade or more. Maybe not with every car in their lineup, but over all it's been good. Searching for a hook? They sell a crap load of cars and are among the top for loyalty. I think they found a hook. To top it off they just keep getting better.

Current year rating http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand/

Yeah bigger is better. Let's sell cars to Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, corporate america for fleet cars, shuttle vehicles, etc. Fleet cars are always better. Look at Chevy Impalas, Ford Crown Vics, etc. Those are desirable quality cars.

I know they exist as rentals, but I have NEVER seen one on a rental car lot and I rented cars somewhat regularly all over the country. I’ve never seen one for government use either.

Seriously, you should do some research before you post anything. The reliability is there and has been for about a decade or more. Maybe not with every car in their lineup, but over all it's been good. Searching for a hook? They sell a crap load of cars and are among the top for loyalty. I think they found a hook. To top it off they just keep getting better.

Current year rating http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand/

I know they exist as rentals, but I have NEVER seen one on a rental car lot and I rented cars somewhat regularly all over the country. I’ve never seen one for government use either.

Your JD power rating is for one year, 2011. Did you read the info from Edmunds? You've never seen Hyundai on a rental lot? There are 167 used Hyundai Sonatas for sale at the Enterprise location in Milwaukee, Wisconsin alone. Come on. It's a four door, four cylinder car competing in a veritable sea of competition. It's flooded the market and trendy styling fades faster than the payments disappear. The new and restyled model comes along quicker than the last payment...

http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/list/buy-a-car#0/10/Distance/a//make%3D%22HYUNDAI%22%20model%3D%22HYUNDAI--SONATA%22%20

Remember how Hyundai copied Mercedes front headlights. I thought this car was good looking the first couple times I saw it....too bad they don't bring back that styling. It was a "hook"...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Hyundai-Sonata-GLS-1-Owner-Car-131k-Creampuff-/180731826477?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a1474d12d

Your JD power rating is for one year, 2011. Did you read the info from Edmunds? You've never seen Hyundai on a rental lot? There are 167 used Hyundai Sonatas for sale at the Enterprise location in Milwaukee, Wisconsin alone. Come on. It's a four door, four cylinder car competing in a veritable sea of competition. It's flooded the market and trendy styling fades faster than the payments disappear. The new and restyled model comes along quicker than the last payment...

http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/list/buy-a-car#0/10/Distance/a//make%3D%22HYUNDAI%22%20model%3D%22HYUNDAI--SONATA%22%20

Yes I did and no I haven't. You obviously didn’t read my post very carefully. I'm talking about Hyundai not just the Sonata which by the way the op is interested in the Genesis.

Yes I did and. You obviously didn’t read my post very carefully. I'm talking about Hyundai not just the Sonata which by the way the op is interested in the Genesis.

Great. Someone found Hyundai's useless hook. Good job masayine.

If you read information on Hyundai you will see that their ratings rise and fall. It's not constant like Honda, Toyota and others were when becoming established.

I agree, Hyundai is improving. They are a big company and we all know from GM's experience, that bigger is better. Also taking two companies ie: Kia and Hyundai and working together is a way to succeed. That is what GM did with Pontiac, Saturn, Buick, Chevy, Cadillac and Hummer.

I want the most popular car from the biggest company out there. That's a great strategy and perfect way to create the niche market "hook". :rolleyes: People will be clamoring for the top quality and high performance cars from that behemoth.

I agree. Subaru's hook is awd.

Uh, what? So the Forester, Outback etc all got accolades because they were the only ones in their class that offered awd? Come on people, don't be disingenuous for the sake of "perspective" in the conversation. Subaru offers good packages, plain and simple. The fact that the pendulum continues to swing and it may or may not be in Subaru's disadvantage at the moment doesn't mean they suddenly suck. It is the nature of the auto industry. One gets top dog, someone else comes forward then, rinse and repeat.

The fact that Subaru has done great in recent past is undisputable. They currently have the most efficient awd vehicle on the US market, period. And, in fact, I would say, most likely in the world.

I hope this new coupe from Subaru is the business because quite frankly they make boring cars again outside of the Sti and WRX.

Look again, everybody else makes pedestrian cars for the most part as well, save for one or two halo cars.

In fact you can have a lot more fun with a base model barebones MT Impreza than with other cars in the same class. I'm sure a Civic or Sentra would be a lot of fun on backroads :rolleyes:

When I mentioned a Hyundai "hook", I was referring to a performance hook, not a reliability hook or anything of the sort. They have proven to be quite reliable, though you'll find many people were drawn in at the beginning (late 90's, early 00's) by the warranty, but were skeptical about the brand. My parents did this, actually. They bought the car with hesitation about reliability but were comforted by the warranty. They were pleasantly rewarded by years of trouble-free ownership. That was the last Hyundai they bought, though.

Archived