LegacyGT.com

Grab some coffee. Let's talk about Hyundai

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like them. Seriously.... They just seem to have a few cars I wouldn't mind owning and driving on a daily basis. I am starting to think about a Genesis Coupe 3.8 liter as a nice complement to my LGT.

I've driven several Hyundai's as rentals for a couple weeks at a time over the years. There has been a dramatic progression in quality and styling. They seem to "get it" when it comes to building a car. The problem with trendy styling is that you look at it and say, "That's cool" and then they don't age well. After 6 months the flood of similar rental cars, lowball leases and trend chasers have flooded the streets. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. have unique cutting edge looks that age well.

The quality is improving, but I'm still not overly convinced. I drove a 2011 Sonata for a couple weeks and it was quick, handled well and fun. It rode a little rough, had terrible blind spots and some of the parts just didn't go together. As I drove it, the lack of refinement glared.

The sticker prices aren't that much lower for Hyundai's than other competitive cars. If you aren't saving that much, why not just buy the established quality car.

Then you get into the resale. How will a trendy, unrefined car that there is a gazillion of resell?

I've driven a few Genesis sedans, and for the most part they seem pretty nice. There were a few things I didn't like about them (loads of interior noise, especially in the V6. The doors are thin and not too solid feeling, things like that), and I think they are slightly overpriced for what you get. But overall they aren't too "wow'ing".

That said, the Genesis coupe does seem like a contender for a fun sporty car. The 2.0T's can make a TON of power on stock motors (people are out there making near 400whp), and they don't seem to handle or ride too uncomfortably.

I agree with hmmrdwn about aging, and cloning, and the "refinement" of the cars.

For my money, I'd rather get something else. I poo-poo'd it before, but I'd probably pick a V6 Mustang over a V6 Genesis Coupe if it came down to choosing between those two cars.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I have a buddy with a Sonata 2.0T. I am very impressed with it. Other than it not coming in a manual transmission I would have no problems driving one. Interior quality is good imo. And it's pulls surprisingly well.

I'd have no issue buying a Korean brand over German to get similar features for several thousand less. I find Korean cars in the $25k segment to offer a lot of value. I really like the Kia Optima and would buy one today if my LGT didn't run so damn good.
My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

I like a couple of there cars, the gen coupe though is ugly and girly looking IMO. Looks almost like something mazda designed.

Yeah the front does look strange but the rest of the car is gorgeous. I really don't want to mod my next vehicle down the road but 400whp out of the 2.0t got my attention.. I'm pretty sure they will add direct injection in the near future as well.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I have read good things about Subaru ;)

Yeah me too. That's why I need a new PS rack, replaced the radiator, and maybe need a wheel bearing up front too. Oh yeah lets not forget the leaking valve cover and torn inner boot I fixed last year.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I have a buddy with a Sonata 2.0T. I am very impressed with it. Other than it not coming in a manual transmission I would have no problems driving one. Interior quality is good imo. And it's pulls surprisingly well.

I almost agree. I have a real problem with FWD, and I'm not sure I could settle for one.

If the Sonata/Optima were RWD, it'd be a class killer (even without a manual trans). A dual-clutch auto, RWD model would be a class innovator, and I couldn't rule one out. Just don't expect to mod it much...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I really like the exterior of the new 2012 R spec Genesis sedan, but the interior needs a refresh. The dash is too "panelly" for me. Too flat....

I drove in a Genesis before and it's a nice touring sedan w/ plenty of room. There was just something about the interior that I didn't love.

I've also been in a new Sonata. Great bang for the buck, but the ride was a bit harsh and the doors felt thin and cheap. I guess they have to save money somewhere and they're doing it with cheaper interior paneling.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

For my money, I'd rather get something else. I poo-poo'd it before, but I'd probably pick a V6 Mustang over a V6 Genesis Coupe if it came down to choosing between those two cars.

Glad to see someone else has come around to the V6 Mustang. It really is the best bang for the buck out there in the sporty coupe category. Not to mention the GT is at least $7-8k more than the V6. However, the Genesis Coupe 3.8 does give the Mustang a run for it's money and in the end would probably come down to personal preference.

Glad to see someone else has come around to the V6 Mustang. It really is the best bang for the buck out there in the sporty coupe category. Not to mention the GT is at least $7-8k more than the V6. However, the Genesis Coupe 3.8 does give the Mustang a run for it's money and in the end would probably come down to personal preference.

Don't kid yourself, I wouldn't actually BUY a V6 Mustang. I'd BUY the V8. But if I were FORCED to choose, I'd probably get the V6 Mustang before the V6 Genesis.

You are going from an infiniti to a hyundai? What is up with that?

Big savings. My lease payment right now is too large for a 3.5 mile daily commute to a bus lot where the car sits all day.

I am contemplating a G37x when I retire my 3.6R.... Is there something you really don't like about G's?

I love my G coupe. Fun to drive, plenty of power, all the bells & whistles, great looks, good AWD system. I got bored of the G35x 4-door I had previously. A bit too soft (an Xs would probably solve that) and just a hair too luxury on the sport/luxury scale for me. I would recommend either car to anyone, as I have had great experience with both.

Genesis 5.0R Sedan. Hell, Genesis v8 sedan.

Unbeatable price.

Genesis 2.0T Coupe.

The 2.0T is cheap and after driving one, would be VERY VERY VERY easy to work on. Like a big toy. GUTLESS stock.

Dollar for dollar nice cars. When compared to their competition for a few dollars more maybe fall a little flat.

After driving the tits off a friends Sonata turbo I have three things to say stock...

1. torque steer

2. open diff

3. torque steer

Did I mention the crap diff?

Archived