LegacyGT.com

Grab some coffee. Let's talk about Hyundai

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hyundai is ghey and I hate coffee

Then GTFOout.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

And again, this isn't an AWD vs all thread.

Back on topic?

I agree this isn't an awd versus fwd thread. That was the most important part of our decision to go with Subaru though. While the styling and plastics are nicer on Hyundai's and Kia, they don't have all wheel drive. Hyundai's and Kia's are even quicker when comparing them to the base 2.5 boxer.

The advantages of awd couldn't be overcome by fancy plastics and trendy styling. We would rather have awd in our climate than fwd with some better materials here and there. A proven awd system like Subaru has is worth more than those fancy plastics, warranty and other glitzy features.

You are right that we did get off topic discussing the fwd, rwd, awd....

Is there one in a sedan or coupe like the original poster was discussing?

Did the OP imply he wanted an AWD car? Or did he bring up the Genesis Coupe for discussion?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Did the OP imply he wanted an AWD car? Or did he bring up the Genesis Coupe for discussion?

I looked at Hyundai's prior buying our Subaru and made the comparison since it's a Subaru forum. He may have different needs, though he asked for opinions. I'm not aware of a Genesis Coupe that's AWD. I think that's planned for next year or the year after. Things will get interesting then...

No plans on getting rid of the LGT. Just wanted a general discussion on the direction of the Hyundai brand in general. And if I had to buy one today it would be a Genesis Coupe..

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Hyundai is "there" and has proven itself, they are no longer "up and coming". I was going to say this thread may have been better aimed at Kia but I'm getting the feeling they, too, are pretty much "there".

I don't get the whole awd put-down in this thread. Nobody said it's god's gift to man and I don't see a problem with people enthusiastically praising it; for the average driver in states that see a variety of road conditions the fact of the matter is it's a better rounded and safer system overall.

Subaru implemented VDC because they are not above the law. In case you didn't know it is a government mandate that vehicles come equipped with stability control standard, same with tire monitoring system.

Hyundai is "there" and has proven itself, they are no longer "up and coming". I was going to say this thread may have been better aimed at Kia but I'm getting the feeling they, too, are pretty much "there".

I don't get the whole awd put-down in this thread. Nobody said it's god's gift to man and I don't see a problem with people enthusiastically praising it; for the average driver in states that see a variety of road conditions the fact of the matter is it's a better rounded and safer system overall.

Subaru implemented VDC because they are not above the law. In case you didn't know it is a government mandate that vehicles come equipped with stability control standard, same with tire monitoring system.

1) Hyundai owns Kia. I think they are still working to overcome their 80's and 90's image, but that should soon be overcome. They are taking risks that companies today aren't, and they are jumping in with both feet.

2) AWD is fine. But it's not required, and it's not the point of this thread, though I agree it's a useful feature (however much it limits fun...).

3) Does that VDC law extend to ALL vehicles? I thought you could still get some cars without? The Yaris comes to mind. I don't recall the one we looked at back in the day having it (in 2008 when we got our 09 Impreza).

The first Hyundai's had econobox switch gear, controls and displays. The new ones are a step up and appear at times to be trying too hard. The new Sonata heating and ac have a copy of Volvo's seated man controls. The only problem is that Hyundai's looks like an ultra cheap copy that fails.

Hyundai has improved substantially though. I remember the "after thought" liquid crystal display clock from the 1980's in the previous generation Sonata. The small black rectangular buttons for the mpg, distances, etc. were cheap too. The latest generation is a substantial upgrade over those.

The main problem with the trendy Hyundai/Kia styling of late is the gargantuan blind spots. Talk about safety issues. It's like a big black hole hanging over your shoulder. Yeah those large rakish c pillars and flat small rear windows have a cost at the immeasurable expense of rearward vision and blind spots.

The first Hyundai's had econobox switch gear, controls and displays. The new ones are a step up and appear at times to be trying too hard. The new Sonata heating and ac have a copy of Volvo's seated man controls. The only problem is that Hyundai's looks like an ultra cheap copy that fails.

Hyundai has improved substantially though. I remember the "after thought" liquid crystal display clock from the 1980's in the previous generation Sonata. The small black rectangular buttons for the mpg, distances, etc. were cheap too. The latest generation is a substantial upgrade over those.

The main problem with the trendy Hyundai/Kia styling of late is the gargantuan blind spots. Talk about safety issues. It's like a big black hole hanging over your shoulder. Yeah those large rakish c pillars and flat small rear windows have a cost at the immeasurable expense of rearward vision and blind spots.

Hyundai is far from being unique with the problems of cheap controls and style induced blind spots. The clock in my 2006 Legacy is 80's toothpick numbers as well, so it's not like that is out of line. I always get a kick out of comparisons like this because they inevitable stack the deck against Hyundai because they claim it's similar but not as nice as a Lexus, Volvo, BMW, etc... It's not trying to be, it's competing with cars that cost thousands less than those makes. What Hyundai offers is value for your money and that is why they are so successful.

You don't like Hyundai, we get it, but don't try to claim they are trying to be something they aren't.

I mostly agree with the above.

Still wouldn't buy a V6 Mustang though.

Does that VDC law extend to ALL vehicles? I thought you could still get some cars without? The Yaris comes to mind. I don't recall the one we looked at back in the day having it (in 2008 when we got our 09 Impreza).

iirc all under 10k lb. Key here is how proactive each manufacturer was at implementing it on models. Prior poster made it sound like Subaru was somehow stuck implementing it due to some inherently severe awd flaw. Awd is not a must. Is it nicer? Yes. Is it better? Yes, depending.

I agree with the point raised regarding blind spots and saying they are not the only ones is just an excuse. Those that point out the blind spots are basically saying that they, too, put design over safety.

Hyundai is far from being unique with the problems of cheap controls and style induced blind spots. The clock in my 2006 Legacy is 80's toothpick numbers as well, so it's not like that is out of line. I always get a kick out of comparisons like this because they inevitable stack the deck against Hyundai because they claim it's similar but not as nice as a Lexus, Volvo, BMW, etc... It's not trying to be, it's competing with cars that cost thousands less than those makes. What Hyundai offers is value for your money and that is why they are so successful.

You don't like Hyundai, we get it, but don't try to claim they are trying to be something they aren't.

Never said I didn't like Hyundai. Quite the contrary, I looked at them and seriously considered them.

What's even more laughable is bringing up cost, since you can get a nice Legacy cheaper than a Sonata...and the Legacy has awd.

Say wah?

Shriner monkey said Hyundais are set up to fail because Hyundai's are being compared to more expensive cars like BMW's, etc. The Legacy and Hyundai are virtually the same price and the Legacy has awd.

Nonono you said cheaper.

Okay thanks for pointing that out. Yep about the same price and all wheel drive is free. Drive shaft, free. Rear differential, free. Rear axles, free. Center differential, free. The Hyundai does have swoopy looks and fancy plastics.

The Hyundai has more horse power and since Hyundai people feel speed is important and we know the Hyundai is quicker on a dry street 0-60...which would be quicker on a wet or snowy street? Not that racing is okay on wet or dry roads...it's just interesting to think about.

Actually I was talking about the fact you can get a Legacy cheaper and most car rags doing the comparison have a more expensive Hyundai that Legacy. I wasn't talking base price, but will give that to you.

Hyundai engineering team testing new awd Sonata.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6wV1GPOTU]hyundai sonata stuck in water - YouTube[/ame]

None of the things you mentioned are free there pal. Subauru is spending a lot of extra money on each car to equip it with AWD, and then to meet a price point they de-content the rest of the car compared to the competition. Subaru interiors and engines as great examples have been left in the dust by the competition, all for the advantages to be reaped the small percentage of the time that road conditions make AWD worthwhile.

Not a very good trade off in my estimation for a car, but then again I have a 4X4 truck that will still keep on chugging away in snow deep enough to stall out a Subaru. Thus I have little interest in AWD cars from a standpoint of marginally superior foul weather capability. Fact is most places keep major roads reasonably well plowed and free of snow most of the time, so AWD is just not that mandatory for most. I'd rather just stay home and off the road (the smart move regardless of driven wheel arrangement) a few times a year than feel like I have to put up with a power robbing AWD system that also results in extra weight, and reduces fuel economy.

None of the things you mentioned are free there pal. Subauru is spending a lot of extra money on each car to equip it with AWD, and then to meet a price point they de-content the rest of the car compared to the competition. Subaru interiors and engines as great examples have been left in the dust by the competition, all for the advantages to be reaped the small percentage of the time that road conditions make AWD worthwhile.

Not a very good trade off in my estimation for a car, but then again I have a 4X4 truck that will still keep on chugging away in snow deep enough to stall out a Subaru. Thus I have little interest in AWD cars from a standpoint of marginally superior foul weather capability. Fact is most places keep major roads reasonably well plowed and free of snow most of the time, so AWD is just not that mandatory for most. I'd rather just stay home and off the road (the smart move regardless of driven wheel arrangement) a few times a year than feel like I have to put up with a power robbing AWD system that also results in extra weight, and reduces fuel economy.

Thats fair. I wouldn't own a Subaru, 4wd or awd if I lived down south either. We get a solid 4-5 months of snow and have many rural roads that don't get cleared right away. Hyundai are a competitive product with much improved fit and finish. The features are nice and they have a good warranty. Hyundai's don't have all wheel drive and only get slightly better mileage and the fancy plastics/design just don't impress me. In a short period of time the market will be flooded with Hyundai's and it will no longer be unique. btw...hyundai's warranty and the repairs to other customers cars aren't free either. You pay for them in the price of the car.

http://fastjournals.com/dogjournals/dog-teeth-thumb-400x226.jpg

Archived