LegacyGT.com

Grab some coffee. Let's talk about Hyundai

The difference is that the Genesis and Equus are actually competitive.

Please share Hyundai's storied long term reputation for building race cars and quality passenger cars? Numbers on paper don't mean squat to the owners of a BMW, Audi or Mercedes. They want those cars for the image. Hyundai doesn't have that image.

A Mustang and Camaro are competitive with many european autobahn burners statistically, but it doesn't mean they have the same customer base.

Hyundai's may be competitive statistically, but that is the only arena they have a chance.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Equus is a wholly confusing car. I can't fathom spending that kind of coin on a Hyundai.

I haven't seen a single one on the road... ever.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The Equus is a wholly confusing car. I can't fathom spending that kind of coin on a Hyundai.

I haven't seen a single one on the road... ever.

I haven't either. They will sell though. The dealers can't leave them sitting on the lots. The dealers will give max trade in value and a big discount on the equus. The goal was to sell 2,000 or something like that. That's not a lot.

I think people buying the equus won't be the Mercedes owners intended, but cheaper car shoppers that upgrade or laterally move over from to buy the Equus at it's severely discounted price for the perceived value. People buying the Equus will be those who can't afford a BMW, Lexus or Mercedes, that want people to think they have a luxury car.

To have the luxury image, you need to build a luxury car and sell it. So it's a win win for Hyundai. Even if it fails, you got sales numbers. That way the econobox drivers can feel like their car is made by a premier manufacturer. Some people can see through that though.

• I Donated
Please share Hyundai's storied long term reputation for building race cars and quality passenger cars? Numbers on paper don't mean squat to the owners of a BMW, Audi or Mercedes. They want those cars for the image. Hyundai doesn't have that image.

A Mustang and Camaro are competitive with many european autobahn burners statistically, but it doesn't mean they have the same customer base.

Hyundai's may be competitive statistically, but that is the only arena they have a chance.

Dude, chill. I didn't say they had the prestige of BMW, Audi, or Mercedes, I said the cars were competitive. Which the Ford Granada was not. It's obvious that they're not going to sell to the status seeking set, but for those that want a luxury car for $10,000+ less, they will still be appealing.

Dude, chill. I didn't say they had the prestige of BMW, Audi, or Mercedes, I said the cars were competitive. Which the Ford Granada was not. It's obvious that they're not going to sell to the status seeking set, but for those that want a luxury car for $10,000+ less, they will still be appealing.

I think the point is that people don't have the $$ to buy a BMW or Audi so they buy a Hyundai that is cheaper and are happy with their purchase.

That is exactly what I was trying to say.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

There is a saying in the auto industry...."a bum in a suit" that would apply here. Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus don't have to worry about Hyundai. This was more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

There is a saying in the auto industry...."a bum in a suit" that would apply here. Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus don't have to worry about Hyundai. This was more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

Right, because they have status seeking, badge buyer, poser douchebags lined up around the block to buy their overpriced garbage.

Right, because they have status seeking, badge buyer, poser douchebags lined up around the block to buy their overpriced garbage.

Sounds like jealous wannabee rantings. BMW's, Mercedes, Audi, etc. all have a track history and record of providing excellent products.

http://www.autoracingdaily.com/images/featured/hyundai_I10.jpg

Maybe excellent initially, but they are all known to have either a lot or major reliability issues in a relatively short time.

Not going to debate that because people obviously don't care about it due to the high resale value.

• I Donated
Not going to debate that because people obviously don't care about it due to the high resale value.

People don't care about it due to the badge. The status seekers want something with a prestigious name on it, no matter how crappy the reliability might be.

The people who actually care about a car on its merits will buy a Hyundai. ;)

Actually even if one is right, simply choosing to turn everything into an argument makes one goddamn annoying. We all know at least one person like this.

This whole argument is about perception. There really is no substance outside of that.

Good luck with arguing perception.

Resale is a percentage of the original price. With that said, the more money you spend to buy a new car the more money you will lose when you go to sell it.

All the sedans that I looked at that had the same options as the Sonata i.e. Nav, sound system, Homelink, !8" wheel/tires, etc., etc. were $2500+ more. I'm $2500 ahead of the game before I even leave the lot. Even more savings were available because the snobs at Honda/Subaru/Toyota who btw must be really proud of their machines as they would not discount their car as much as Hyundai was willing to do. Don't forget to factor in high gas prices and Hyundai's much better fuel mileage over the life of the car.

Still need help understanding? Invest that $2500+ cash you just saved in a CD getting say 3% and over the course of ownership for even more savings. I also doubt any of the other sedans will be worth $2500 more when I decide to sell my top rated Hyundai.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Cars are one of the biggest waste of money that I can think of. It's really very simple, the more you spend the more you lose.

Don't get me wrong I love cars/bikes I always have but unless you can really afford that expensive car you are better off with something less expensive. Some of you boys need to quit reading magazines and not get so hung up on what a paid journalist has to say. Most of the top modern cars are so close in performance that you probably couldn't tell much difference w/o a stop watch. Ever hear of a really bad car in the last ten years? Not many. Sure a new MB or Audi would be great but do the true cost of ownership and factor in everything. That expensive car won't get there any better than my cheap Hyundai. I'll use the money I saved to live better in the place where I spend most of my time, my home.

Buy what you like the looks of and rides good, save your money. Look around, the world economy is slipping fast you'll need all the money you can save/keep in the coming years. :mad:

Ultimate Driving Machine :lol: where exactly do you use it when it's sitting in a parking lot at work depreciating or stuck in rush hour traffic? :confused:

Yes I own a bike and a late model Corvette but my home is paid off and I have the funds to have some toys. You young boys need to start thinking with your head and not your heart.

I'm done here and good luck with whatever you decide.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Resale is a percentage of the original price. With that said, the more money you spend to buy a new car the more money you will lose when you go to sell it.

All the sedans that I looked at that had the same options as the Sonata i.e. Nav, sound system, Homelink, !8" wheel/tires, etc., etc. were $2500+ more. I'm $2500 ahead of the game before I even leave the lot. Even more savings were available because the snobs at Honda/Subaru/Toyota who btw must be really proud of their machines as they would not discount their car as much as Hyundai was willing to do. Don't forget to factor in high gas prices and Hyundai's much better fuel mileage over the life of the car.

Still need help understanding? Invest that $2500+ cash you just saved in a CD getting say 3% and over the course of ownership for even more savings. I also doubt any of the other sedans will be worth $2500 more when I decide to sell my top rated Hyundai.

Guess you should buy a used Yugo and invest the difference. :)

This would be your dream car....

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3458/4261/33644630003_large.jpg

You're funny.

Actually, you're not. Once again, what do you have against Hyundai?

Just ignore him, best definition of troll, ever. He's been proved wrong over and over again and he doesn't quit. Sucks that there is no ignore button, or at least I haven't found it yet. I still have to read his nonsense.

• I Donated
Just ignore him, best definition of troll, ever. He's been proved wrong over and over again and he doesn't quit. Sucks that there is no ignore button, or at least I haven't found it yet. I still have to read his nonsense.

View his public profile, click on the "User lists" dropdown under his name, click "Add to ignore list."

I'm not going to put him on mine because somehow, I have some hope that he'll stop being annoying. That and I never use ignore lists because threads get confusing with people on them.

Archived