LegacyGT.com

Grab some coffee. Let's talk about Hyundai

Yeah the Koreans have come a long way, considering the Excels and what not that some of my friends have owned. That being said I still have some reservations about their cars, this is coming from driving a big chunk of their car lineup, didn't try the SUV's though.

In general, I think their suspension tuning experience is still lacking. A lot of their cars are either too softly sprung, or wound up too tight and trying too hard to battle body roll.

Interior design is great, but there are still some quality issues.

Exterior, I will not discuss design, but god their paint is terrible. I do detailing on the side, and the paint is just wafer thin on these cars. Most cars range 85 - 150 microns from the factory, usually no lower than 90. Hyundais are scoring consistently under 100 microns with spots hitting 75. There is no depth for correction and you will burn through the clear.

Build quality is also lacking. When I test drove the Sonata Turbo, it didn't give me that solid feeling of a well put together car that other cars demonstrate. We are comparing to other cars I've tested, GTI, Spec B, MS3, Accords. Initial quality is great, but it doesn't bode well for long term reliability.

That said, the Genesis Coupe is still a sweet car, enough so that my dad bought one. And I really like the Equus' design. I can't wait for the 3.8 DI engine to be put in the 2013.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny I thought the Sonata 2.0T was a much nicer car than the Genesis Coupe 2.0T, FWD or not. Admittedly, that only applies stock as the Sonata is near the edge of the amount of power it can put down but the RWD Genesis mods very well.

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice car and the navigation is exceptional (compared to Subaru's anyways), but it doesn't feel like its very well made. I test drove a Sonata Turbo which had all of 12km on it. Also rented a normal Sonata on a drive across the Rockies from Vancouver to Edmonton and back. The rental had 29km on it and I returned it with 2900km :lol:.

Both Sonatas didn't have the tight feeling of a brand new car. I was extensively test driving Mazdaspeed3's, they gave a very substantial feeling of a solid well put together car. Test drove a few Spec B's with various amount of mileage on them (38,000km to 85,000km) and they too felt much more substantial than the Sonata.

On top of that, when my dad bought the Gen Coupe, we had to wait 5 months before our car arrived. During that period we were given different cars to drive to alleviate our need of a car. They first gave me a Accent, slow and for being the cheapest car in the market, I can't complain. They we traded up to a Elantra touring for 3 weeks. Easy to drive, hella stiff suspension though. Issue one with inexperienced suspension tuning. Then we got a 3.8GT demo for 8 weeks. Nice car, nice to look at, but again quality issues such as a squeak in the rear panels, and just wasn't well put together in general.

My dad's car arrived and I had problems withe fit and finish. I looked at the 8 Gen Coupes they had on the lot and every single one the front bumper was off by a bit, and every single one was different be it a little droopy, off the left, or right etc. Dad wasn't as picky, and since he bought the GREEN one, we didn't really have a choice in cars anyways.

All that just makes me think. Yes its a nice car, but I don't think I'm ready to trust them for the long term yet. Both the Sonata and Gen Coupe feels like it will loosen up in 3-4 years and start to fall a part in probably 6-7 years.

I almost agree. I have a real problem with FWD, and I'm not sure I could settle for one.

If the Sonata/Optima were RWD, it'd be a class killer (even without a manual trans). A dual-clutch auto, RWD model would be a class innovator, and I couldn't rule one out. Just don't expect to mod it much...

Good point... With better fit and finish they could maybe give the german sharks a run for their money...

Sonata Turbo + RWD + 6spd = fun we hope...lol

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I'd opt for the Kia Optima Turbo, if that combination were an option. The Sonata is kind of ugly IMO, and that chrome bodyline looks horrible.

But that combo in an Optima would define a new class that hasn't existed in a very long time. It might even drag other makes into the modern pony-race. Toyota, with their FT whatever, would obviously be a contender, and things could get interesting.

The problem with the Sonata/Optima/Sportage engine, is it's lack of mod future. DI engines are already pushing fuel systems pretty far. It's likely, just like the MS3 is, that the engine is already pushing its limits. Anything more than a catback on an MS3, and you'll jog a rod on the first pull.

Still, it would be interesting. Personally, I think some carmakers are afraid to make RWD cars. Afterall, they are more dangerous in unskilled hands.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

My friend has owned a Genesis coupe for the past 2 years.... electrical gremlins are starting to show like one side of the car's speakers going out and the headlight/foglight failing to fire even when a brand new bulb is installed (bad wiring) amongst a few other things.

Great car, looks good and turbo + RWD is a winner. The new Genesis is coming with DI which pushes the output up quite a bit.. if they managed to fix the electrical gremlins on the Genesis my friend would definitely get the new one once his lease is over..

For those who say the Genesis looks too cutsie in the front which I do agreed so this has to be better.

That looks like crap.

BMW does make FWD cars: Mini.

BMW proper does not fall under the "some" category I mentioned. I think some automakers are afraid of RWD. BMW isn't one, but they do stupidify their cars in stock form with aggressive nanny and "safe" alignments.

So many cars now, would be so much cooler if RWD, but they aren't. I'd have a much harder time choosing my next car, if there were more manual transmission RWD non-sports cars on the market.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I had a good experience with my 2002 Santa Fe. I purchased it with 64K miles and sold it six years later with over 170k miles. It was still solid, no squeaks rattles or anything. The suspension and steering felt the same as the day I got it and the only things I had to replace other than tires, timing belts, and brakes were the PS pump and lift gate and rear glass struts. Oh I did replace an axle as well only because something punctured the outer boot. It had a few issues when I sold it. The new PS pump was noisy, but it made noise when it was brand new. I just never bothered to exchange it. The stereo display would go out at times and also the stereo would turn it's self on one in awhile. The paint was flaking in some areas as well. I never kept it in a garage.

BAC5.2.....you know what it all boils down too for me???.... I want manufacturers to stop making safe cars. Not from a "safety" standpoint but safe bets. Hyundai FWIW with the good and bad seems to be going in a good direction plus 10 year drivetrain warranty. I can only see styling improving and more enthusiant oriented cars coming or at the very least the Genesis Coupe being that "it" car in the import circles.. Ohhhh if only Toyota and Honda would go back to their roots...I had an old 3rd gen Accord that was more nimble than the later generations hands down. Maybe that will be my next car with an H22 swap....LOL
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2011/09/2013_hyundai_genesis_coupe.jpg

2013 Genesis Coupe refresh. I say wait till next spring ;)

I personally love the Hyundai brand, and would buy one over a Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Mazda anyday of the week. I drive each of their vehicles on a daily basis and a lot of the competition.

As to those worried about long term reliability....my service department is going under due to the lack of Hyundai work we get, and any we do get is usually covered by their unbeatable warranty.

After driving the 2011 Legacy 2.5i I wouldn't even consider it a rival to the Sonata 2.4GDI. The Legacy has no pick up at all (1.5seconds slower to 60mph), a terrible transmission, inferior warranty, lower crash test ratings, higher braking distances, lower handeling ratings(CR avoidance maneuver, max speed). The list goes on and on. All the Subaru has going for it is its AWD system.

Other manufacturers really need to step up their warranty coverage to meet Hyundai. Especially the luxury car makers, I mean really if you want to claim you make the finest most well built car on the road then maybe you should back it up with more than just words.

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2011/09/2013_hyundai_genesis_coupe.jpg

2013 Genesis Coupe refresh. I say wait till next spring ;)

I personally love the Hyundai brand, and would buy one over a Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Mazda anyday of the week. I drive each of their vehicles on a daily basis and a lot of the competition.

As to those worried about long term reliability....my service department is going under due to the lack of Hyundai work we get, and any we do get is usually covered by their unbeatable warranty.

After driving the 2011 Legacy 2.5i I wouldn't even consider it a rival to the Sonata 2.4GDI. The Legacy has no pick up at all (1.5seconds slower to 60mph), a terrible transmission, inferior warranty, lower crash test ratings, higher braking distances, lower handeling ratings(CR avoidance maneuver, max speed). The list goes on and on. All the Subaru has going for it is its AWD system.

That has to be the ugliest car I've ever seen. Someday Hyundai will be top flight automaker. That time has come yet.

The value of awd to someone who lives in the white and wet areas surpasses anything Hyundai can do for you. The first accident avoided by awd wipes out any performance or warranty advantage a Hyundai might have.

That has to be the ugliest car I've ever seen. Someday Hyundai will be top flight automaker. That time has come yet.

The value of awd to someone who lives in the white and wet areas surpasses anything Hyundai can do for you. The first accident avoided by awd wipes out any performance or warranty advantage a Hyundai might have.

:rolleyes: I doubt you have ever been saved from an accident by AWD. AWD only helps you go, doesn't help you stop and does very little to help you turn. Stop drinking the Subaru marketing "AWD = Saftey" kool-aid. Regardless, Hyundai offers several AWD models.:spin:

:rolleyes: I doubt you have ever been saved from an accident by AWD. AWD only helps you go, doesn't help you stop and does very little to help you turn. Stop drinking the Subaru marketing "AWD = Saftey" kool-aid. Regardless, Hyundai offers several AWD models.:spin:

Ha ha. There are some ignorant people (not saying you) that don't understand all the safety advantages of all wheel drive. It's understandable since stability control is improving the handling of front wheel drive and many people bought the front wheel drive sales pitch. All wheel drive does more than just make you go. It also helps you safely navigate corners, controllably slow under engine braking, control the car when hyrdoplaning, prevent loss of control under emergency situations, etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rs6tLmlL8]MSN-Cars Hatchback Challenge Subaru, Golf BMW and Audi A4 at Rockingham - YouTube[/ame]

btw...it's safety not saftey.

I live in Montana, we get ALOT of snow, AWD is a plus, but not a must have. I have far more customers come in after deer strikes than collisions or wrecks due to snow. I'd rather have the safer car altogether, than the safer car in certain situations.

I live in Montana, we get ALOT of snow, AWD is a plus, but not a must have. I have far more customers come in after deer strikes than collisions or wrecks due to snow. I'd rather have the safer car altogether, than the safer car in certain situations.

You alluded to my opinion earlier...I would rather not get in the accident in the first place and put a higher value on "active safety" rather than mitigating damages. Subaru all wheel drive out performs all the front wheel and rear wheel drive competition. An all wheel drive car cost more to produce than a front or rear wheel drive car. Yeah, Hyundai may have some advantages in other areas, but they don't have all wheel drive. Take the fancy styling, soft touch plastics (plastic is plastic) and other little things Hyundai does and throw them out the window in a snow storm or rain soaked road.

I'll take active safety first and foremost.

Like I said before, the Hyundai has a higher accident avoidance top speed than the Subaru....so it seems your point is moot. Also, the Hyundai has better braking in the dry and far better in the wet. It accelerates quicker, handles better, and slows down faster. But you're right for the 20days a year when there is snow on the road in the morning, that Subaru is quicker off of the line.

Oh and Hyundai does offer a solution to that with it's AWD system the is active in three of it's current models and will be employing in most of it's line up with in the next 5 years.

Archived