LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

You need to remove both bolts on the top hat and it will come out. If you try to leave the tophat in and remove the nut from the shock rod, it will never work. And you need a pass-through socket set to remove the shock from tophat.

Also, if you are trying to do this with removing only the lower shock bolt, you are gonna fight it and fail. Remove the outboard lower control arm bolt and the RSB end link bolt (all 3 outboard ones from the LCA) and it's a breeze. Use a large drift or screwdriver and a jack to get all the bolts back in.

You need a pass through socket so you can hold the center with an allen wrench. I have used a socket with a pair a vice grips before too. I've always loosened it when the strut was off of the car, but that's just the way I was taught, doesn't mean its the right way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

You need to remove both bolts on the top hat and it will come out. If you try to leave the tophat in and remove the nut from the shock rod, it will never work. And you need a pass-through socket set to remove the shock from tophat.

Also, if you are trying to do this with removing only the lower shock bolt, you are gonna fight it and fail. Remove the outboard lower control arm bolt and the RSB end link bolt (all 3 outboard ones from the LCA) and it's a breeze. Use a large drift or screwdriver and a jack to get all the bolts back in.

awesome!

Thank you!

After an hour of fighting with it, I looked at it and said..."Okay, take out that one and that one too" and the shock was out in less than 5 minutes. My attitude went from the verge of violent rage, to calm use of logic, to feeling like a complete moron.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone installed aftermarket springs on the OEM struts for '13-'14's? They are much stiffer than my '11 struts and I've noticed that nobody lists aftermarket springs for the '13 & '14 models. I have my Eibachs staring at me in my garage and I think I may just say screw it and put them in. If I have any issues where the dealer may blame it on the springs, I'll take them off before I bring it in.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

Pep and I were talking about this the other day when we saw each other. We both feel that the Eibachs didn't feel much stiffer than the OEM springs for the '11's. Is it possible the Eibachs could be too soft for the '14 struts? Would that blow the struts out too quick?

Pep and I were talking about this the other day when we saw each other. We both feel that the Eibachs didn't feel much stiffer than the OEM springs for the '11's. Is it possible the Eibachs could be too soft for the '14 struts? Would that blow the struts out too quick?

Please refer to page 1 for eibach progressive rates. I got those numbers from an eibach pdf.

No way the oem shocks would overdampen these springs.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Thanks guys. I'll see when I can get to doing it and I'll report back.

Fredrik.....did you feel the suspension on your '13 was a little too stiff or am I just used to my '11?

The '13 was a boat for my taste. Tarmac zeros are just fine.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Fella's. I raised my coilovers up awhile ago to clean em off from winter and ever since I have been getting a clunking noise from the right front side. It is worse when it is raining or wet out. I took a pic of the damage it is doing to my spring. Do you guys think the top nut is not tight enough? Or do I need to order one of those spring insulators from Tein? Any help would be appreciated. Here is the pic, thanks!

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/wantavant/Leggy/B653C473-F70D-4F17-A8DA-2DEA9D26E841_zpsdcpqdkfn.jpg

That's just a rubber sleeve that goes around the coil. it will get tore up eventually and doesn't actually address the issue at hand, but merely makes it so that you can't hear it happening anymore. The thrust sheets are a more permanent solution to your issue. the sheets actually allow the springs to rotate slightly on the perches. They eliminate any binding and in turn eliminate the noise. all the silencers do is silence the noise.