LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo kit, 1000 miles later.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
The best bang for your buck is to sell your 2.5i and buy a GT. Don't let anyone tell you differently. The total cost of this kit + supporting mods is more than the difference in cost between a 2.5i and a GT. Now if you're just a glutton for punishment and want to fiddle with your car, then by all means, continue on :lol:

I 1 million percent support this. I myself owned a failed 2.5i turbo kitted legacy. Spent a LOT of money on it.

That looks sweet man.

Thanks!

Not too much new happening with the car. I think I've put on around 7k-8k miles since I installed the kit. As far as updates go, I drove the car 80 miles to an autocross event, ran it 5 or 6 times, then drove 80 miles home. The car experienced no issues at all that whole day. I'm going to get out to a couple more events this year when I get a little more time.

So all in all the car is holding up nicely.

Sounds like you are still happy with it. Is your enjoyment/satisfaction holding up too? (not being a smartass, serious question)

I appreciate the question. My enjoyment/satisfaction is holding up for sure. I think a major component to this is the fact that I don't daily drive it. I've always had large aspirations for the car since the beginning, but I don't foresee any power upgrade needs for the next couple of years. I dd my outback so that's where I'll be putting some suspension money in the future (already lowered it on some legacy struts).

But as far as the legacy goes, I personally feel it's very well balanced. Whenever I drive it I never personally have any complaints (the fiance thinks it's too fast, she probably won't ride in it after the next power bump haha). Cornering is still awesome, braking gives me no second thoughts, and once I'm in boost I can't stop smiling. :)

To keep in mind though I'd say I'm pretty unique when it comes to the automotive world. I get enjoyment out of all the cars I drive regardless. I have possession of a 91 Nissan hardbody pick up with what, 90whp if it's lucky? And I love driving that truck! So that background info might give a little insight to why I've gone through all this 'trouble' to turbo a 2.5i Subie. I'm the type that will keep a car/truck for a very long time.

I was not making a judgement, merely requesting if you regretted your purchase/install in any way or if it had somehow lost its fun factor for you. Asstons of people post opinions on new installs and parts. Few keep following up.

If its too fast for the fiance its probably just perfect.

I was not making a judgement, merely requesting if you regretted your purchase/install in any way or if it had somehow lost its fun factor for you. Asstons of people post opinions on new installs and parts. Few keep following up.

If its too fast for the fiance its probably just perfect.

I understand. There are definitely no regrets here. The amount I learned and the experience through the install is incomparable. I definitely wish I knew more before I started to make the install easier, but that's how you learn. But for now, I thoroughly enjoy it every time I hop in.

It's not "too" fast for her yet, she refused to go for a fun lap at auto cross though =\ Once I hit 300whp I think she'll have enough haha. She's a good sport though.

I understand. There are definitely no regrets here. The amount I learned and the experience through the install is incomparable. I definitely wish I knew more before I started to make the install easier, but that's how you learn. But for now, I thoroughly enjoy it every time I hop in.

It's not "too" fast for her yet, she refused to go for a fun lap at auto cross though =\ Once I hit 300whp I think she'll have enough haha. She's a good sport though.

Ive seen two low mileage Ej253 (2009 31K and 2007 58K) in the pick and pay lately. Every time I see one thats intact i get the itch to build that lower CR (9.5:1) Ej253 in my spare time. The bottom end isn't the costly part, its the heads that might push the budget upwards. Delta 2000 are too aggressive for dd use so Im thinking 1500 grinds, PnP and 93 OCT.

• 9 months later...

Emissions update for those who might be interested.

I went this morning for my emissions test in CT. I have my TPMS light on (aftermarket wheels/tires) and mentioned it to the guy, but he said not to worry about it. I figured as much since the light has nothing to do with emissions.

Passed emissions with no issues.

Just rolled over 10k miles on the turbo kit, still running strong.

I also drove out to an Auto-x event at Mohegan Sun a couple weekends ago. Ran the car through 9 heats overall including the competition at the end and fun runs. I didn't experience any issues, I just have to work on tire inflation, it was a really tight course. Came in first in my class (it was novice class though).

I got 26mpg on a 200mile each way trip a month ago as well. Still loving it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1stick3pedals this thread has been a great aid for me as I am gearing up to do the same! I'm curious to know what "insurance" pieces you have purchased for your build as well as what spark plugs you are currently running with?

I'm glad the thread could help!

I'm not sure what you mean by "insurance" pieces, as in parts to make sure there are no catastrophic failures? I guess you could say the boost controller and the boost gauge help. Otherwise nothing was done that wasn't necessary to boost the car.

I'm running stock spark plugs.

Thanks! I have the Hallman Pro MBC and splurged for the STi gauge cluster to keep my car looking stock! Glad to know so many stock parts are holding up for you! I decided to go with the Stage 2 Competition clutch and NGK 7 plugs for "insurance" pieces.

Did you ever upgrade your sway bars?

Are you still running with 5w-30?

Thanks! I have the Hallman Pro MBC and splurged for the STi gauge cluster to keep my car looking stock! Glad to know so many stock parts are holding up for you! I decided to go with the Stage 1 Exedy clutch, NGK 6 plugs, and the Mishimoto radiator for "insurance" pieces.

Did you ever upgrade your sway bars?

Are you still running with 5w-30?

Gotcha. The car has been good so far. No issues for regular city or highway driving, and I've autocrossed it a couple of times as well in the summer with no issues.

I'm going to upgrade more things down the road once I get an ej257 shortblock and raise the boost, but for 6psi it's not necessary at this point.

My sway bars are still stock unfortunately, but are definitely getting upgraded down the road. I'll end up going with a 22mm adjustable most likely for front and rear.

I'm still running 5w-30 full synthetic. I don't put a ton of miles on the car so I change it out every 6 months, otherwise I'd be changing it every 3000 miles like I used to when I drove it more.

Stock sway bars are 20F and 15R, is that right? Are you concerned about oversteer with a neutral setup? I purchased the Whiteline 22F and 20R both adjustable, but have not decide whether to maintain some understeer (22.5F, 19.5R) or go for more neutral (21.5F, 20.5R)...

Stock sway bars are 20F and 15R, is that right? Are you concerned about oversteer with a neutral setup? I purchased the Whiteline 22F and 20R both adjustable, but have not decide whether to maintain some understeer (22.5F, 19.5R) or go for more neutral (21.5F, 20.5R)...

I can't say for certain, I've never put a caliper on them, but that sounds close, maybe 19mm in the front and 14mm in the rear. I do know from autocrossing that the understeer is horrible. You'll have to look but I'm sure there are threads discussing the different set ups. Unfortunately at this point I haven't researched it much at all to be able to give you any good info other than my personal experience with the stock bars.

• 5 months later...

Archived