LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo kit, 1000 miles later.

so i just got off the phone with EFI, i asked for Chris but sadly he passed away in 2012 i was told (RIP) but talking to the guy to see if i would need anything other than what i already had, he said i might need an aftermarket map sensor or one off a LGT. was wondering if you had to change any sensors while doing the tune or if one came with the kit you bought?

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. You will need to replace the MAP sensor. The factory 2.5i sensor is limited to (struggling to remember off the top of my head) one or two pounds of boost if even that. Unless you are making major modifications I would suggest no more than half Bar when it comes time to tune, especially with the AVO base map. Make sure you save the original ROM file from your car and have a reputable tuner as well who is not over confident.

so i just got off the phone with EFI, i asked for Chris but sadly he passed away in 2012 i was told (RIP) but talking to the guy to see if i would need anything other than what i already had, he said i might need an aftermarket map sensor or one off a LGT. was wondering if you had to change any sensors while doing the tune or if one came with the kit you bought?

I never changed my MAP sensor. If you decide to run an LGT one I believe you will have to plug the hole on the TB since na reads out of the chamber (or just leave the stock MAP in place as a block) and the LGT hooks up to a vac line. Mounting holes are different.

Yes. You will need to replace the MAP sensor. The factory 2.5i sensor is limited to (struggling to remember off the top of my head) one or two pounds of boost if even that. Unless you are making major modifications I would suggest no more than half Bar when it comes time to tune, especially with the AVO base map. Make sure you save the original ROM file from your car and have a reputable tuner as well who is not over confident.

I'm running the factory MAP Euro and reading >1.7g/rev and having no trouble with positive pressure readings. RR reads ~5psi, boost gauge reads ~5psi. I believe, at least on my car, that the stock MAP can read fine for the target boost range for this kit.

By the way, did you ever get my email? Never heard back from you. Hope the car is doing well.

After double checking the wiring diagrams regarding the 09 Legacy NA and the 05 FXT, it looks like the MAP sensors could be interchangeable and straight swaps. The 3 wires terminate at the same connectors/modules. Only difference is the FXT has TGVs. I looked at both of my cars and the mount holes appear to be the same. The mounting location is also similar, being the top of the TB chamber.

Compare these MAP sensors from rock auto through the pictures. The only difference is the length of the cylinder, on the FXT it is longer allowing it to read to 1bar or 1.5bar, whatever the range may be.

Legacy NA: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5409744&cc=1443525&jnid=393&jpid=0

FXT: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1352556&cc=1430727&jnid=393&jpid=1

But again, I didn't change my MAP out for my 6psi tune and the car had no problem reading the pressure. If the stock sensor is a 0.5bar sensor, then it should be fine up to around 7psi before it starts maxing out the voltage range.

My original MAP sensor was indeed replaced with an older model FXT sensor. Either way works then as long the proper adjustments are made.

I missed the last PM from you Brian and just finished reading it. Thanks for the response! The car fires after the appropriate amount of cranks and goes to the proper idle point to warm up, but after a couple seconds it drops off, then adds fuel, and repeats a few times then settles down from there without ever stalling. If I tap the throttle it simply goes down to the warm idle set point and skips the warm up sequence all together.

Now that im back in a 2.5i i think ill go ahead and add some boost. Only thing i need to do first is some minor maintenance (Crank and cam sensors, Oil Control valves and thats about it.

There is kit for sale on here with the oil pan.

Now that im back in a 2.5i i think ill go ahead and add some boost. Only thing i need to do first is some minor maintenance (Crank and cam sensors, Oil Control valves and thats about it.

I'm in the same boat again. Do it!

My original MAP sensor was indeed replaced with an older model FXT sensor. Either way works then as long the proper adjustments are made.

I missed the last PM from you Brian and just finished reading it. Thanks for the response! The car fires after the appropriate amount of cranks and goes to the proper idle point to warm up, but after a couple seconds it drops off, then adds fuel, and repeats a few times then settles down from there without ever stalling. If I tap the throttle it simply goes down to the warm idle set point and skips the warm up sequence all together.

That's interesting haha. Mine functions as normal for warm up. I thought I sent you an email with a MAP to try. Did you ever get that?

So I guess I'll just buy a 04/05 fxt map sensor to take with me when I get it tuned just in case I do have to end up changing it. Thanks for the info! I'll come back if I run into any problems lol ^_^

It wouldn't hurt! Just put it in if you need it, otherwise it'll just take longer to do the tune.

I'd definitely love to hear this story GEE! If you have a link to that kit post it here if you don't mind.

I'm in the same boat again. Do it!

That may be my kit you see for sale lol, since I didn't have any buyers for it I was planning on installing it. But if interested let me know!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
From this site. They have a ton of good stuff there.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

Thank you!

So you have a 135 degree from the TB plate to a 45 degree bend twice, then down to the intercooler.

I didn't get the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler so I'm going to have to get creative there, plus my intake hose was cut it looks like.

Thank you!

So you have a 135 degree from the TB plate to a 45 degree bend twice, then down to the intercooler.

I didn't get the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler so I'm going to have to get creative there, plus my intake hose was cut it looks like.

That sounds about right. I actually changed my setup and went past the battery instead of in front of the engine. I had to remove my washer fluid tank and it's tight with the fog light. I want to redo that side still and get a fluid tank back in there eventually. The other side is tough too. I thought about going fogless but I don't know yet.

I want to make that a winter project still hopefully. I was thinking of doing a custom inlet as well because the AVO one is a little funky at the turbo inlet. I trimmed mine at one point a small amount.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
is the turbo kit still working well for ya?

Sure is, still running it. Around mmm 11k miles on it? Finally got around to installing an AFR gauge. Need to do some tuning since it was set up a little rich, when I find the time. Car still runs good though, still fun to drive.

• 10 months later...
How is the 2.5T running these days? Any problems 2 years later? :)

It's running well. I got an AFR gauge in and an FXT MAP sensor I believe near the beginning of the year.

Did an e-tune at that time with Mike @ Tuning Alliance. Peaking boost around 7psi now. Also had some more tables defined so that we could adjust some values for idle so that when you come to a stop and clutch in the rpms don't tank below 500 anymore.

Other than that, I did an oil change tonight. One thing I want to do in the future is to redo the turbo oil drain line. Get a stainless drain line in there maybe and drain it into the head or valve cover eventually.

• 2 months later...

How much HP are you making now?

I bought Wes' (not sure his username on here) Raptor supercharger and got it setup finally. It's 178 whp and 176 w lb ft so pretty happy with that, on 5.9 PSI.

Tim @ Raptor suggests I can go to 8 PSI no problem - about 200 WHP for me. However... my car is old and really high miles, so I'm not sure. New HG's, clutch, pumps and pulleys, gaskets, etc. though. Another 22 WHP sure would be fun.

Which injectors are you running? I had initially done WRX Blue's, but these seem to be close to pushing the duty cycle already. STI Pinks are nearly free on eBay so that might be the easy route. They are 68 bucks (seriously???)? new.

How much HP are you making now?

I bought Wes' (not sure his username on here) Raptor supercharger and got it setup finally. It's 178 whp and 176 w lb ft so pretty happy with that, on 5.9 PSI.

Tim @ Raptor suggests I can go to 8 PSI no problem - about 200 WHP for me. However... my car is old and really high miles, so I'm not sure. New HG's, clutch, pumps and pulleys, gaskets, etc. though. Another 22 WHP sure would be fun.

Which injectors are you running? I had initially done WRX Blue's, but these seem to be close to pushing the duty cycle already. STI Pinks are nearly free on eBay so that might be the easy route. They are 68 bucks (seriously???)? new.

Nice, sounds like fun. Happen to have a build thread?

I was making around 200whp/wtq when I last dynoed the car 6 years ago.

That is cheap for sti injectors, I'm running 650cc dw.

Archived