LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo kit, 1000 miles later.

Sorry GeeOtto for the late response and congrats on the GT! Less than 2 weeks after getting my car back from the tuner it was hit by a baseball sized hail storm and nearly totaled:( Since getting it back from the body shop I have upgraded the brakes by doing a full GT swap including StopTech SS lines, Centric Premium blanks, Centric PosiQuiet Pads, and calipers from RockAuto! These cars should have come this way from the factory, oh well. My last MPG check showed just shy of 27 with mixed driving. Here are the pics you had asked for...

Damn a hail storm! Hey man the work looks great I wish my Turbo Legacy got similar numbers lol :lol:

How is your tune (conservative or moderately pushing it)?

Enjoy the car!

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The STi gauge cluster came from some random dealership. It is terribly expensive, but worth it if you want the car looking stock. I'm at 7psi which I consider to be pushing it, but I feel all the appropriate precautions were taken. I told the tuner I wanted driveability and reliability like the OP did.

For anyone considering - this takes a lot of time, research, consideration, and understanding that NOTHING will go smoothly or as expected. With that being said, I enjoy my car, it's unique, and I plan on keeping it for a while.

It is indeed expensive $700 last time i checked I am not a gauge guy but I pased on a set for $450 and it haunts me to this day. But i saw a post where you can replicate the cluster with three auto-meter gauges and a ABS plate then a STi decal.

7psi not bad for a stock engine, do you feel the kick above 3400RPM?

the STI 3 guage cluster is no longer available from Subaru, it's value shall go up from here

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Nice car Euromutt, it looks like it came along really nicely.

Just leaving an update here. I've just recently started learning and researching tuning through RR and ECUflash. So I've been datalogging my FXT to learn how to use the logging software and to interpret it.

Today I went out in the legacy to do some logging and I started looking at the ROM in ECUflash.

Here's a road dyno I did, it is pretty close to the graph from EFI Logics, so that's reassuring.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/BEMphotos/3rdgearWOT.jpg

I'm not sure that the graph is going to show up very well. I messed up saving it. It's saying I'm getting 205whp @ 5883 and 204wtq @ 4780. My log file is saying I'm only reaching 5psi max so it looks like I'm a pound under what I originally wanted to run.

So as I learn and tune this car and up the boost, I'll post back here with any results or findings.

Nice car Euromutt, it looks like it came along really nicely.

Just leaving an update here. I've just recently started learning and researching tuning through RR and ECUflash. So I've been datalogging my FXT to learn how to use the logging software and to interpret it.

Today I went out in the legacy to do some logging and I started looking at the ROM in ECUflash.

Here's a road dyno I did, it is pretty close to the graph from EFI Logics, so that's reassuring.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/BEMphotos/3rdgearWOT.jpg

I'm not sure that the graph is going to show up very well. I messed up saving it. It's saying I'm getting 205whp @ 5883 and 204wtq @ 4780. My log file is saying I'm only reaching 5psi max so it looks like I'm a pound under what I originally wanted to run.

So as I learn and tune this car and up the boost, I'll post back here with any results or findings.

That is an awesome torque curve. I still need to start buying stuff, but too busy with board exams and wedding planning. And the WRX distracts me enough, but I'll get around to it.

• 2 months later...
Thank you sir! - any updates on the car and how its going?

The car is doing pretty good. I just pulled the injectors last weekend to replace injector o-rings. About a month or two ago, after driving the car and parking it in the garage, my garage would smell like fuel not even 10 minutes after it was closed up. I noticed my #1 injector was a little wet after one of my drives, the top o-ring got pinched from my original install it seems. So I ordered some new o-rings from Deatschwerks. I drove it a couple of times since then and haven't noticed any fuel smell so far.

I need to get in the car and do more logging still. I haven't had much time recently. I need to log some highway and pulls and pull some timing where ever I may be knocking.

I plan on buying a Wideband that is compatible with RomRaider and installing it in my DP next spring. For whatever reason my boost has gone from the original tune at almost 6psi, down to 5psi. My vac lines regarding the turbo and MBC look a little tired so I'm going to need to replace them next year as well. Then once all of that is set, I'm going to make sure my current tune is healthy, and then start raising the boost. I'm going to get a healthy tune at 6psi, and then I'm going to move to 7psi once that is good.

I'm two years away from my planned build with a 257 shortblock and a bigger turbo so I'm getting ready for that.

Next year I'm planning on upgrading my legacy and outback to LGT brakes using parts from RockAuto. So I'm excited for that project. It's been a long year with my wife being in school, so the car projects have been reduced to just maintenance costs unfortunately :( But she'll be back to work next year and I'll get back to modifying! :icon_bigg

The car is doing pretty good. I just pulled the injectors last weekend to replace injector o-rings. About a month or two ago, after driving the car and parking it in the garage, my garage would smell like fuel not even 10 minutes after it was closed up. I noticed my #1 injector was a little wet after one of my drives, the top o-ring got pinched from my original install it seems. So I ordered some new o-rings from Deatschwerks. I drove it a couple of times since then and haven't noticed any fuel smell so far.

I need to get in the car and do more logging still. I haven't had much time recently. I need to log some highway and pulls and pull some timing where ever I may be knocking.

I plan on buying a Wideband that is compatible with RomRaider and installing it in my DP next spring. For whatever reason my boost has gone from the original tune at almost 6psi, down to 5psi. My vac lines regarding the turbo and MBC look a little tired so I'm going to need to replace them next year as well. Then once all of that is set, I'm going to make sure my current tune is healthy, and then start raising the boost. I'm going to get a healthy tune at 6psi, and then I'm going to move to 7psi once that is good.

I'm two years away from my planned build with a 257 shortblock and a bigger turbo so I'm getting ready for that.

Next year I'm planning on upgrading my legacy and outback to LGT brakes using parts from RockAuto. So I'm excited for that project. It's been a long year with my wife being in school, so the car projects have been reduced to just maintenance costs unfortunately :( But she'll be back to work next year and I'll get back to modifying! :icon_bigg

Good thing you caught that leak, my friends orings went on his wrx and one day he went to start up and his engine bay caught on fire. Good luck with the rest! Are you planning on going to 5x114? Or keeping it 5x100.

I actually had a question about the ecu base maps, I bought a used avo kit and the guy emailed me a base map..,how would I get it from the email to my ecu?

Good thing you caught that leak, my friends orings went on his wrx and one day he went to start up and his engine bay caught on fire. Good luck with the rest! Are you planning on going to 5x114? Or keeping it 5x100.

I actually had a question about the ecu base maps, I bought a used avo kit and the guy emailed me a base map..,how would I get it from the email to my ecu?

Thanks! I'll be staying 5x100, there's no real reason to switch the car to 5x114.

To get the base map loaded, you need a tactrix cable and ECUflash.

Bigger turbo sounds like a 52! :)

I was thinking a 52, I'd just need to get an adapter for the FMIC piping off the compressor. Do you happen to know of any place that might sell that one piece?

I was also thinking the FP 68HTA could be a potential option. I've got time and more research to do yet.

• 2 months later...
Not going to lie... I kinda want to get a Crosstrek and turbo it!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

How's the car doing? Looking into buying the kit in a couple months.

It's sitting haha. I don't really drive it in the winter because of the lovely salt spray they put down. And with the cold it's pretty much impossible to wash my cars these past two months to get that ish off the bottom >.> I'll probably bring her back on the road in April. We need the temps to go up and get a good rain to get rid of all the salt, zzzzz.

Not going to lie... I kinda want to get a Crosstrek and turbo it!

Lol, I'm sure someone will do it soon enough! Boost is fun in anything.

It's sitting haha. I don't really drive it in the winter because of the lovely salt spray they put down. And with the cold it's pretty much impossible to wash my cars these past two months to get that ish off the bottom >.> I'll probably bring her back on the road in April. We need the temps to go up and get a good rain to get rid of all the salt, zzzzz.

Lol, I'm sure someone will do it soon enough! Boost is fun in anything.

Haha true that. You may have stated this earlier, but do you happen to have your whp before the turbo?

• 2 weeks later...
Haha true that. You may have stated this earlier, but do you happen to have your whp before the turbo?

Sorry for the delay, here's what I grabbed from my first post below.

*Original power/torque values were around 126whp/127wtq.

I ended up gaining around 75whp/wtq at about 6psi.

Archived