LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo kit, 1000 miles later.

Your car meow has a twin with the exception of the PZEV birthmark which I assume you removed from yours (and other minor differences, of course). 217whp & 240ft/lbs @ 0.5bar:)

I did remove it lol, I like the simple Subaru Legacy badges on the rear. Those are some nice numbers, what kind of set up are you running?

1stick3pedals what all did you have to modify in order for the bumper beam to fit properly in front of the charge air cooler/piping?

I believe all I had to do was shave the back side of the bumper a little near the fogs and in the middle for the intercooler fitment.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-AVO turbo kit with their BOV (full recirc.), power filter kit, radiator shroud, and rear strabilizer mounts.

-Whiteline 22.5mm front and 20.5mm rear stabilizer bars with Kartboy endlinks.

-Hallman Pro mbc

-DW 440cc injectors and their 65c fuel pump.

-SPT catback under Kartboy hangers and SPT intake heat shield wrapped in DEI reflect-o-gold (also have 2" DEI titanium wrap around up/down pipes).

-Same turbo blanket you recommended from siliconeintakes.com

-Grimmspeed #017001 phenolic spacers (8mm N/A)

-Moroso catch can between breathers and intake with added vacuum from Vibrant.

-NGK 7 spark plugs as recommended by tuner.

-Grillcraft upper and lower inserts with remounted OEM Subie emblem.

-DocHolladay23 custom front license plate delete!

-Killer B oil pickup.

-STi short throw, shift knob, pedal covers, and gauge cluster.

-Stage 2 Competition clutch kit after burning up the Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit - whoops.

-EGR delete (sssshhhhhhh).

-Using Liqui Moly 5w-40 in conjunction with NAPA Gold/Wix oil filter which hangs lower now due to the sandwich adapter for the gauges:)

-AVO turbo kit with their BOV (full recirc.), power filter kit, radiator shroud, and rear strabilizer mounts.

-Whiteline 22.5mm front and 20.5mm rear stabilizer bars with Kartboy endlinks.

-Hallman Pro mbc

-DW 440cc injectors and their 65c fuel pump.

-SPT catback under Kartboy hangers and SPT intake heat shield wrapped in DEI reflect-o-gold (also have 2" DEI titanium wrap around up/down pipes).

-Same turbo blanket you recommended from siliconeintakes.com

-Grimmspeed #017001 phenolic spacers (8mm N/A)

-Moroso catch can between breathers and intake with added vacuum from Vibrant.

-NGK 7 spark plugs as recommended by tuner.

-Grillcraft upper and lower inserts with remounted OEM Subie emblem.

-DocHolladay23 custom front license plate delete!

-Killer B oil pickup.

-STi short throw, shift knob, pedal covers, and gauge cluster.

-Stage 2 Competition clutch kit after burning up the Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit - whoops.

-EGR delete (sssshhhhhhh).

-Using Liqui Moly 5w-40 in conjunction with NAPA Gold/Wix oil filter which hangs lower now due to the sandwich adapter for the gauges:)

Hell of a build! Pics/video/number you know all that cool stuff?

Hopefully this update might help some people out. I posted up on the RomRaider forums and got a response from someone on their team. It appears they got a definition together for the EZ1D302A ECU.

Here's the link:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10684

If anyone uses this to get their car tuned, let me know. I won't be going for a tune any time soon.

Hopefully this update might help some people out. I posted up on the RomRaider forums and got a response from someone on their team. It appears they got a definition together for the EZ1D302A ECU.

Here's the link:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10684

If anyone uses this to get their car tuned, let me know. I won't be going for a tune any time soon.

You down for your planned build or content with current setup?

Now that I'm daily driving my wrx, I'm debating whether to go this route or do a full blown wrx/sti swap.

It depends what you're looking for. This turbo kit is definitely one of the easiest ways/installs you can do to make power on the stock engine/drivetrain. I'm still running stock brakes/clutch/etc with no issues and I do drive it spiritedly. I'm at 10k miles on the setup and I still enjoy it a lot.

You down for your planned build or content with current setup?

Yea, I'm still going to go ahead with my planned build. Next year I plan on doing as much suspension work as I can (aluminum bits from the Spec B, Epic Engr/Koni Yellows, Sway Bars/End links, maybe upgrade to LGT brakes[not a must at this point]). Then the following year I'm going to pull the motor, get a pre-assembled shortblock (either a stock ej257 or see what my tuning shop suggests/can get me for a deal) to assemble with my stock heads and upgrade the turbo (possibly an EVOIII 16G) as well as all other necessary parts.

I believe that when I'm done I'll be near 300whp and have a really awesome ride for the twisties. I love the car now, but being a car enthusiast and one that loves to work on cars, I can't not tinker with it and bring out it's hidden potential.

It depends what you're looking for. This turbo kit is definitely one of the easiest ways/installs you can do to make power on the stock engine/drivetrain. I'm still running stock brakes/clutch/etc with no issues and I do drive it spiritedly. I'm at 10k miles on the setup and I still enjoy it a lot.

Yea, I'm still going to go ahead with my planned build. Next year I plan on doing as much suspension work as I can (aluminum bits from the Spec B, Epic Engr/Koni Yellows, Sway Bars/End links, maybe upgrade to LGT brakes[not a must at this point]). Then the following year I'm going to pull the motor, get a pre-assembled shortblock (either a stock ej257 or see what my tuning shop suggests/can get me for a deal) to assemble with my stock heads and upgrade the turbo (possibly an EVOIII 16G) as well as all other necessary parts.

I believe that when I'm done I'll be near 300whp and have a really awesome ride for the twisties. I love the car now, but being a car enthusiast and one that loves to work on cars, I can't not tinker with it and bring out it's hidden potential.

You're on the stock clutch still? Wow. I just changed my clutch cause my TOB was toast. I don't want to drop the transmission again to upgrade the clutch so soon. The AVO kit would be a simple couple hour job for me.

When you go EJ257, are you swapping ECU and wiring or are you just going to open source tune the NA ECU? Now that romraider and stuff is out, I'm sure that opens a lot of possibilities. Just don't know how much you can do with the NA ECU.

Reason I kept this car, even with the WRX, is because suspension wise, it is pretty well equipped. I'm on RCE Tarmac coilovers with AVO sway bars. Handles pretty nicely. Now just need some power.

You're on the stock clutch still? Wow. I just changed my clutch cause my TOB was toast. I don't want to drop the transmission again to upgrade the clutch so soon. The AVO kit would be a simple couple hour job for me.

When you go EJ257, are you swapping ECU and wiring or are you just going to open source tune the NA ECU? Now that romraider and stuff is out, I'm sure that opens a lot of possibilities. Just don't know how much you can do with the NA ECU.

Reason I kept this car, even with the WRX, is because suspension wise, it is pretty well equipped. I'm on RCE Tarmac coilovers with AVO sway bars. Handles pretty nicely. Now just need some power.

My car has around 39k miles on it, and the clutch is good still. Just needs to last until I do my build, but I don't launch it or beat on it so I'm sure it would last to 100k miles.

I was planning on sticking with my stock ECU when I upgrade the shortblock, hence keeping my stock heads. I was tuned once already for the Turbo Kit. So I feel confident that it will be fine when tuning for my future build.

That's a good reason to keep the Legacy! Besides the fact that it's an all around awesome car. Looks good, rides nice, it's just a smooth ride. My car handles pretty well on stock suspension, I can only imagine once I upgrade it.

You already have a WRX, I'd just go for the AVO kit or equivalent if you want to get some power out of the Legacy. It'll put you around 200whp/wtq which is nice for this car. The worst part of the install is tapping the oil pan for the return oil line. Honestly I wish I had just welded on a bung instead. But it isn't leaking with the tap after using a good sealant.

My car has around 39k miles on it, and the clutch is good still. Just needs to last until I do my build, but I don't launch it or beat on it so I'm sure it would last to 100k miles.

I was planning on sticking with my stock ECU when I upgrade the shortblock, hence keeping my stock heads. I was tuned once already for the Turbo Kit. So I feel confident that it will be fine when tuning for my future build.

That's a good reason to keep the Legacy! Besides the fact that it's an all around awesome car. Looks good, rides nice, it's just a smooth ride. My car handles pretty well on stock suspension, I can only imagine once I upgrade it.

You already have a WRX, I'd just go for the AVO kit or equivalent if you want to get some power out of the Legacy. It'll put you around 200whp/wtq which is nice for this car. The worst part of the install is tapping the oil pan for the return oil line. Honestly I wish I had just welded on a bung instead. But it isn't leaking with the tap after using a good sealant.

Sounds good to me. Let me talk to some local tuners and see what the deal is.

Do our heads bolt up to the EJ257 block? Did you keep your bumper beam? What was involved with that?

39K, your car is a baby...

Sounds good to me. Let me talk to some local tuners and see what the deal is.

Do our heads bolt up to the EJ257 block? Did you keep your bumper beam? What was involved with that?

39K, your car is a baby...

From what I've read the heads will bolt right up. Just need to use an STI HG.

I did keep my bumper beam. I believe there is some modification to the IC brackets to get it to fit snug. Then you'll have to shave the back of your bumper down in a couple of spots to fit the bumper back on nicely. I also ordered IC piping and couplers from http://siliconeintakes.com/ That's also where I got a turbo blanket. I am running the kits original silicone piping that goes to the IC, but I'm actually going to be buying more Aluminum piping soon and couplers so I can eliminate those pieces as well. I also got my BPV from that site.

And yea the legacy is the babied car. I know it's weird but that's just me. I put all my commuting, long trips, and errand miles on my outback, or the FXT, or the fox mustang haha. I have a lot of cars and big builds to go along with them, but not enough time or money at the moment :spin:

From what I've read the heads will bolt right up. Just need to use an STI HG.

I did keep my bumper beam. I believe there is some modification to the IC brackets to get it to fit snug. Then you'll have to shave the back of your bumper down in a couple of spots to fit the bumper back on nicely. I also ordered IC piping and couplers from http://siliconeintakes.com/ That's also where I got a turbo blanket. I am running the kits original silicone piping that goes to the IC, but I'm actually going to be buying more Aluminum piping soon and couplers so I can eliminate those pieces as well. I also got my BPV from that site.

And yea the legacy is the babied car. I know it's weird but that's just me. I put all my commuting, long trips, and errand miles on my outback, or the FXT, or the fox mustang haha. I have a lot of cars and big builds to go along with them, but not enough time or money at the moment :spin:

Haha thanks for all the info. I contacted Paul at AVO and looks like they still have the kits in stock.

I'm like you, the Legacy is the babied car. I just sold my V6 swapped MR2 that I beat up on at the track and bought the WRX to replace it. I guess I got tired of working on older cars. You're putting down the same HP to the wheels as my WRX does right now, that'll be nice to play with as well!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh herro compressor wheel, long time no see.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/BEMphotos/DSCN4358.jpg

Some gifts for the IC! I finished the install but won't have those pics until later, no time atm. And I forgot to take pictures before I put the bumper back on :spin: Was so excited to get the car back on the road after 2 weeks.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/BEMphotos/DSCN4368.jpg

Nice you have a base tune for the FMIC or is that in the works?

I'm still on my original tune. I just swapped out the rest of the rubber/silicone tubing and did full 2" piping on the hot side. After talking with some more experienced people the smaller diameter should help with response, plus it gives me a little more room to work in the engine bay.

Sub'd. This is what I want to do once I get the money up. I love that you're still running most stock everything and had no problems. Like you, I love my car and want to keep it for the long haul so this kit is perfect for me. I've only got 52K on the clock right now and only have a 3 mile commute to work, and some days I ride the bike (read bicycle) :)

Where in CT are you? That's where I'm originally from and was wondering where your shop you go to is.

Sub'd. This is what I want to do once I get the money up. I love that you're still running most stock everything and had no problems. Like you, I love my car and want to keep it for the long haul so this kit is perfect for me. I've only got 52K on the clock right now and only have a 3 mile commute to work, and some days I ride the bike (read bicycle) :)

Where in CT are you? That's where I'm originally from and was wondering where your shop you go to is.

That's pretty low mileage for an 08, nice! I wish I was close enough to work to ride my bike =/

I'm near Hamden, but I got tuned at EFI Logics in Bethel. They're great to work with and got my car tuned which wasn't an easy task due to my definitionless ECU.

• 3 weeks later...

Wicked. I just got back from CT yesterday, hence the late post. Came back home for my brother's wedding.

Yeah I got lucky with the OB. Two owner, low mileage and only a short amount of time in salty environments (Maryland). If/when I get the kit I'll prob do a road trip so I can do a build like yours. My brother, father, and I always worked on cars as we were growing up so me and my brother will prob do the build in CT and then road trip it back across the country. I'll have to keep EFI Logics in mind for the tuning! :)

1stick3pedals how many miles are you at now for your avo build? I'm and super interested I just heard back from Paul saying that they are in the process of the developing this for the Fifth Gen and should be out early next year. Debating between this or possibly a engine swap.

Wicked. I just got back from CT yesterday, hence the late post. Came back home for my brother's wedding.

Yeah I got lucky with the OB. Two owner, low mileage and only a short amount of time in salty environments (Maryland). If/when I get the kit I'll prob do a road trip so I can do a build like yours. My brother, father, and I always worked on cars as we were growing up so me and my brother will prob do the build in CT and then road trip it back across the country. I'll have to keep EFI Logics in mind for the tuning! :)

That sounds like a lot of fun. Best of luck if you go through with it. I've got an 01 outback, but I'm going to end up swapping the car, hopefully I'll find a salvage LGT, or maybe I'll see what comes out for the new 2.0 engine/drivetrain and swap that in.

1stick3pedals how many miles are you at now for your avo build? I'm and super interested I just heard back from Paul saying that they are in the process of the developing this for the Fifth Gen and should be out early next year. Debating between this or possibly a engine swap.

I've got around 10k miles.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry GeeOtto for the late response and congrats on the GT! Less than 2 weeks after getting my car back from the tuner it was hit by a baseball sized hail storm and nearly totaled:( Since getting it back from the body shop I have upgraded the brakes by doing a full GT swap including StopTech SS lines, Centric Premium blanks, Centric PosiQuiet Pads, and calipers from RockAuto! These cars should have come this way from the factory, oh well. My last MPG check showed just shy of 27 with mixed driving. Here are the pics you had asked for...

IMG_0105.thumb.jpg.01bfa23c5ee5e78cc6d98361da424599.jpg

IMG_0099.thumb.jpg.5e3115404f87e4061e17fff2d6fd9343.jpg

IMG_0100.thumb.jpg.debd5f81b745c41ec0baf16d053f9066.jpg

IMG_0101.thumb.jpg.fe9b155a181d8dedb21ef168f276df7a.jpg

IMG_0102.thumb.jpg.2da787ad2b76f165ecbbf9508e58c2e2.jpg

IMG_0103.thumb.jpg.89e430de0e078ed01baa6faf99833c72.jpg

Archived