LegacyGT.com

The Official Aftermarket Exhaust Thread

almondcookie

The evo-series was probably my favorite for the prelude. I wonder if the same audio characteristics are heard on a subaru. When you drive casual, the people on the outside can barely hear it. It'll catch people off guard. Sounds deep/mellow/smooth but not raspy or obnoxious. On the inside, it'll sound deep/nice. But when you go WOT, you can really hear it. And it sounds good. Is that a good attempt? Am I close?

Greddy's nice. I haven't been disappointed personally or as a spectator.

Once you get your exhaust, my suggestion is to find a long tunnel and drive through it. No radio, all the windows down and have a blast. The echoing exhaust sound - very cool. I also do it with my rx7 except I like scaring soccer moms in their SUV as I let off the pedal and my BOV goes pssssssshhhhheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI:

Hello Sir

At this time, we don't produce an exhaust system for the new Legacy but it is something

we have on our agenda to do for 2006.

Thanks

Dino Rossi

Vibrant Performance

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:58 AM

To: Dino Jr. Rossi

Subject: 2005 legacy gt

Hello.

Do you make an exhaust systems specific to the 2005 legacy gt?

Axle back, catback, or turbo back, for the sedan or wagon? Thanks!

Apparently, for you budget minded folks. A buddy of mine came across another company that makes a full catback system for the legacy. I believe the name is called Vibrant Exhaust or Vibrant Performance. He was in a rush so he said it would cost something like 4-5-600 installed.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

The evo-series was probably my favorite for the prelude. I wonder if the same audio characteristics are heard on a subaru.

I don't know about the GReddy Evo series, but I do know for certain that from the sound-clip a fellow LGT owner posted with the SP, the combination of the Boxer-4 with the SP sounds significantly different than my inline-4 on my Talon.

I know from DSMs that differences in pipe "configuration" i.e. cat or cat-less, as well as whether or not the engine's turbocharged will both greatly affect the final sound of the system. Undoubtedly, similar stuff, including the engine itself, will affect the sound coming from the muffler.

Strange that people didn't catch-on to your exhaust. Maybe your area is very import sport-compact jaded? :)

Give them a turbocharged DSM on Thermals, and they'll take notice! :eek:

Heck, I still think that our Boxer-4s sound just so friggin awesome, next-best to old Detroit Iron w/straight pipes.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I think my router is hanging and I turned off remote access so once I get home, I'll see what's going on.

abakja1: it's 1 file and it's 30 megs =O. once i get my connection resolved, you should be able to download it again.

sandwood: i'll call the shop tonight and see if he can find me the part # and whatnot.

My personal opinion about MD? I think so.

Most of the people that I see are technical in their own right. The Honda folks, the rx7 folks, etc. The only outside influence of other cars is through media. And because they're so locked in to their own brand, everything else is either a target or whatever. When I'm at barnes and noble. I see people looking at import tuner, modified, etc. You'll hear omg this girl is so hot .. Oh .. It's a STI .. Psh whatever, I can beat that or maybe it's I know so-and-so that can beat an STI easy.

I know what you mean:

* old custom drag pickup with the blower on top of the hood .. And the aluminum flat wing and parachute on the back trying to parallel park at a mall. The blower belt was probably wider than my arm. Very cool... And very loud.

* any rotary with a custom exhaust or no exhaust =)

* any boxer engine with a custom exhaust (sti, legacy, etc)

* race built SR20

* RB26 (it's like a deeper, chain smoker version of the SR20)

* 350Z/G35 are very distinct

* anything with a matrix or apc muffler all sounds that same though =P

Kids in MD need to get out more. And the die-hard fascination of drag racing.... =/.

my router hates me. quick reboot and everything is a.o.k.

hopefully all the download links are valid. and for the vibrant exhaust, they currently have it for the forester. but now you know that next year, a cheaper solution will be available. sorry about that.

Why are axle backs so expensive when a much easier opion is just to get two quality universal mufflers (example: Magnaflow) along with tips and jus have a local exhaust shop weld, or clamp them. Also most of these axle backs and cat backs are only meant for the GT edition. Not to mention that by getting the mufflers and tips seperately, you give yourself a lot more choices of tip styles...

Now... in regard to this if anyone has changed there exhaust already and has it just lying around, can you please tell me the dimensions of the muffler so that I don't hafta lift my car and all jus to measure the canister... Thanks in advance to anyone who does this...

• 3 weeks later...
^^^ a "custom" axle back was not really that cheap either... I went and got borla mufflers with tips on for 450 or so.... nice sound and everything, all that I was looking for on my budget right now and a little louder exhaust note.... but should have saved up and got some axle backs from avo or some other company.....but I am happy with my purchase.... but i am about to order the mid section from avo...

• 4 weeks later...

Pics of aftermaket mufflers.

Magnaflow #14827.

Custom piping, crush bent, no wrinkles (they used a much thicker pipe to avoid "ripples").

Everything else stock including midpipe and resonator.

They sound fantastic. Deep tone, and loads of boxer sound. Not loud at all, but definately louder, deeper, meaner and no droning. You close your windows and you can just make them out when on the highway.

Perfect setup for me.

Got 'em off ebay (new with lifetime warranty, and from a company that sells through ebay) for $96 each. The install cost me $245.

Very good indeed for a Stainless Steel setup.

See pics in this thread and also attached a few more here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=234289&postcount=34

pipes.thumb.JPG.ab1ddea11cbd81f468abd64133dd8b73.JPG

pipes2.thumb.JPG.14498043e89083a56d533375139ae26d.JPG

pipes3.thumb.JPG.0188cd3da4a285519ec4c2a39b8de709.JPG

Might as well have mine to...

Turn it up!

Lachute Mufflers 1 - From outside the car

Lachute Mufflers 2 - From inside the car with windows up.

- 1 - - Cold start fast idle windows closed

- 2 - - Cold start fast idle with 28k blip windows closed

- 3 - - Open windows and roof warm idle 2k and 3k blip

- 4 - - Outside car startup warm idle 2k blip 3k blip - FAV

- 5 - - Outside car warm idle drive-away circle back park nose in

- 6 - - Stop turn corner moderate run to 80 then hold at 60 windows closed

- 7 - - Stop turn corner into twisting hills windows closed

- 8 - - Open windows and roof stop at sign idle start up shifts under 3K wind noise

- 9 - - Turn onto uphill onramp run to 85-90 in 4th wind down to 70 hold at 70 in fifth windows closed.

(Thanks for the host Steve!)

DSCF0016cnlps.JPG.25ba62827bbcc3793ae557fd6d71abd7.JPG

DSCF00717cnlps.JPG.4895a58119330d6d806ac88b5325b872.JPG

How about a drive by (outside) under hard acceleration?

No volunteers to stand there and hold the camera...

That Lachutte setup sounds pretty quiet. Definitely under consideration.

It is in this configuration - just the Lachute AB through a Cobb catted DP and stock final mid & Y with the stock resonator in place running Cobb Stage 2 93 octane v 1.10. (Justin @ Cobb gave a thumbs up on the setup too.)

My understanding is that you can tailor how much overall volume and cabin 'ambience' you want by either leaving the stock resonator in place, or using Lachute's final mid & Y with either their 18", 12", or no resonator in place.

These have received full auditory and visual aproval from my wife, mother-in-law, and three and five year old daughters. (Of course, they were already acclimated to the Brullen on my A4. ;) )

The really deep boxer growl is there under 3k, which I milk incessantly, but I expect you could avoid driving in that range for the sake of domestic tranquility if you really had to. (I don't have to! :D ) And cruising at speeds of 60 - 70 you feel it as much as hear it - I'm not saying that you don't hear it - but it's very pleasant and liveable with the family, folks, or on extended trips.

I touched 7k in the run to 80, the hills, and on the on-ramp - I didn't go as quick as I could anywhere just to milk the sound - truth is I drive slower now all around, just to milk the sound... :lol:

My friend found a good post on clubwrx with a bunch of clips

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58111

I thought that WRXs have -distinctly- different exhaust notes than our LGTS....:confused: Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong.....

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I think so. It's hard to explain. The WRX seems more higher pitched(?) while the LGT has more of a deeper (more bass than treble) sound. The STI sounds closer but is also different. Most of the STI's I hear usually have a huge exhaust system .. Titanium of course =) ... Sounds more "raw sports car"-ish. LGT is more subtle and smoother.

• 1 month later...

This is my first post so first, I want to thank you all for the information and knowledge I have gotten from you about the GT. I have the 2005 black 5sp GT with dark grey cloth int., which is no longer available:confused: . I've been checking into catback exhausts and really liked the sound to one that is on the exhaust thread that almondcookie made for us. (thank you for that!) It was for the greddy/trust extreme 2,but I cant seem to pull it up any longer. My question is who has this exhaust . What does the setup have in it? And where can I find it. The clips sounds great!:D Are there any other clips for this setup?

I have had a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 383ci 375hp 425lb of torque engine and a LT1 350ci 300hp 350lb engine in a 1969 Nova.

This exhaust makes the boxer 4 sound like a rumbling V8:D

Thanks for the help and keep on posting:cool:

Archived