LegacyGT.com

BulletProof-TMIC Mod - LGT, 08+ WRX

• I Donated
I have two extra zip ties for anyone in the MA area that has problems with their install like I did. I hicksta'd two out of three zip ties, ghetto rigged the cold side of the intercooler with plastic ones until BMB shipped me three more. Now I know how to do them and I only needed one :lol:

• Moderators
A little off topic, but would it be wise to get a boost guage and or any recommendations on what brand/kind to get. Was thinking cubby pod if i were to get one

WAY too far off topic for this thread, friend. Start up a thread or do some research into it, tons of options out there if you want a boost gauge and the decision is largely based on budget and personal preference.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Hmmm... let's see. WRX was traded for an 11 STi two years ago. Did everything I had in mind for the STi, mod-wise, and it was time to move on.

I still have a turbo Suby :), and it's a twin scroll. Even has a stock boost "gauge" in the display options. :icon_mrgr

Time for a change. My timeframes are more compressed than most here, I can't dilly dally. This ride allows me to enjoy a wider embrace of the driving experience, instead of focusing on the war with time and the pavement. Still a Boxer, with softer gloves.

New FXT?

Yes, sir, and I love it.

I'm going to take the engine cover off today and see if the TMIC is what it appears... the exact same one I've grown to know so well since my 05 LGT.

Edit: Same core, different endtanks. All flexible couplings, no mechanical leveraging forces.

Frankly, if I'm going to have an intercooler, I'd prefer it over the design of the one on the STi. This is, still, simply the best DD TMIC there is.

Obviously, Subaru thinks the same way. This new Forester is full of advancement, some never provided the USDM version of a product before. The redesign is more than skin deep, and I'm sure if there were a better intercooler it would have been included, too. Inspection of available JDM information shows clearly this entire twin-scroll equipped powertrain is identical to the one they get.

This is my ninth Subaru in 21 years of owning them exclusively. It is the most sophisticated drive I have ever experienced. If what's here is any indication, future Subaru models are going to be amazing.

Edited by SeeeeeYa
Update

I thought you moved to the WRX/STi to get into a standard trans Subaru?

Will any of these newer below the surface advancements transfer over to our 4th gens? That is, will you and BMB be developing other bolt-on kits to make our LGTs better?

I thought you moved to the WRX/STi to get into a standard trans Subaru?

Will any of these newer below the surface advancements transfer over to our 4th gens? That is, will you and BMB be developing other bolt-on kits to make our LGTs better?

Not likely. The 2.0 DIT shares virtually nothing with any other engine. The beefed up CVT and it's capabilities are also cutting edge and unlike earlier examples of the transmission.

The 4th gen LGT is a dynosaur now... technology-wise. Even the 5th gen LGT is gone for 2013, replaced with an appearance package. The JDM LGT, however, is equipped with the 2.0 DIT powertrain that's in my 2014 FXT, which by all accounts will be the choice for future versions of USDM performance models. Time will tell whether tuning and upgrades like the BP Mod will be applicable then.

A drive in one of these 2014 FXTs will provide the reason why. It has to be experienced to be believed.

The TMIC has redesigned endtanks but the core is (apparently) the same. The input side has been recast to fit the new charge pipe. The output has also been recast but still connects to the throttle body via flexible pipe like before.

Because the TMIC is now connected to its input and output via flexible connections it is free of the leveraging forces the others suffer from being bolted to the turbo. Now only boost provides any influence, and I suspect the new IC to tolerate considerably more than the 15 psi I've seen. The JDM version is the same except for tuning and has a much higher output. However, in any worst case scenario the standard BP Mod will still end any issue. :)

With the engine cover off it is clear Subaru has produced the most refined powerplant in their history. There is a new, patented by Subaru, mechanical AOS that is prominently visible. I'm crossing my fingers it solves the DIT's reputation for nasty valve deposits.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Instead of using the big steel ties I might try using a pair of these

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31gvAlhSsGL.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Amico-155mm-311mm-Range-Stainless/dp/B008LTI4UU/ref=sr_1_77?ie=UTF8&qid=1372773714&sr=8-77]Amico 155mm to 311mm Range 12-1/4" Stainless Steel Band Worm Drive Hose Clamp - Amazon.com[/ame]

• Moderators
Instead of using the big steel ties I might try using a pair of these

Amico 155mm to 311mm Range 12-1/4" Stainless Steel Band Worm Drive Hose Clamp - Amazon.com

Looks like they would work in theory, but they will be too wide for the groove in the rails and from the listed size you'll need to connect 3 of them together for each side to have enough material to wrap around the TMIC (you'd need 6 bands total).

Looks like they would work in theory, but they will be too wide for the groove in the rails and from the listed size you'll need to connect 3 of them together for each side to have enough material to wrap around the TMIC (you'd need 6 bands total).

Do you really need 115" of band per side? I think maybe your math is off. :p

Band sizes are based on the diameter of pipe, so 12.25" pipe will have a circumference of approx 38.4".

That still doesn't change the fact that the band is 12mm wide though, and that those types of bands don't handle vibration too well.

Edited by nonsense

• Moderators
Do you really need 115" of band per side? I think maybe your math is off. :p

Band sizes are based on the diameter of pipe, so 12.25" pipe will have a circumference of approx 38.4".

That still doesn't change the fact that the band is 12mm wide though, and that those types of bands don't handle vibration too well.

Ah, you're probably right. The bands that I buy are measured in length, not applicable diameter. I was assuming the same but now that I think about it hose clamps are typically measured in diameter and yes, a "circumference" of ~38" would be plenty of material.

SS wire would also work, but it would not be as secure as BarManBean's kit. It would also not be as aesthetically appealing. A pipe clamp like that would be, well, very Unattractive as well as less effective.

However, in a pinch when forced to get r dun, one does what one must.

Seeing how the available kit can be at your door within hours if need be, it would have to be one special occasion. Considering the lead time on ordering a pipe clamp I doubt this is one of those.

• Moderators
just ordered mine for my 05 legacy wagon, ... cant wait for the install :-)

Packed up your kit last night and it will go out today :)

I could have sworn seeing a post or two by the creator of this thread having recently purchased and installed a Perrin TMIC..

What gives BMB?!

:hide:

It's true. It was on my list for 'eventually' and a deal came up--you know me...