LegacyGT.com

BulletProof-TMIC Mod - LGT, 08+ WRX

What are you using for a heat shield on the left side of the intercooler?

That is just a piece of Aluminum sheet that I bent up. It had the gold reflective tape on the underside as well, facing the turbo.

Unfortunately my method of attachment (additional heat sheild to the IC) was not up to the task and it fell off not long after install. I haven't gone back to see how else I could attach 'something' there, but I do believe that it would pay to do so.

I bet one could fab a sheild that would attach to the lower BPTMIC rail on that side... with fasteners

I do have an extra shield on top of the stock turbo shrouding that extends under the IC a bit more. Keep as much heat away from the IC as possible!!

sort of related -

Just ran at Bandimere last night (5800' above sea level) - it was cold (55*F) and had rained earlier in the day so no one was there. I got 7 runs in, back to back, with no waiting. All but the first run (my first time at the track with this car) was ~14.4 @ ~94mph

best ET - 14.345

best trap - 94.55

60's were pretty consistent and ranged 1.926 - 1.980 (after the first run... which was a 2.5)

I attribute a great tune (Cryo road-tune) and solid mechanicals for such consistent results. VF52 is on my list. I want 100mph traps.

And - altitude is a bitch

Edited by Farfrumwork

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year!

I still miss my beautiful LGT, so it's always good to see them being given TLC, and that the BP Mod is still part of keeping them safe.

Thank you, legacygt.com, for all the great memories. You're still the best.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
Is there anyone here with a bnr 16g pushing 21psi with the BP mod? And how is it holding up.

In general, 21psi is not an issue. That said, I don't think you will want to run the 16g at 21psi--a bit hot for that turbo from my own experience. I'm sure others will chime in.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Is there anyone here with a bnr 16g pushing 21psi with the BP mod? And how is it holding up.

Haven't noticed any issues. BP + bnr16g up to 20/21 psi for 50k miles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • I Donated
obviously if other people can hold up to 20psi+, it shouldn't matter what turbo they're running to do that. 20psi = 20psi no matter what's powering that. This kit actually fixed my leaking intercooler, look back in the thread for my pics about it.

• Moderators
Installing a 16g today, i already have the BP installed. wish me luck :icon_chee

Hope it went well!

Anyone here running a 18g with 20 psi or less? And how is it holding up. I Just got my turbo in today.

Yup, your TMIC will be just fine :)

What is the shipping lead time on the BP kit? Ordered on the 8th, no email regarding order accepted or shipped as of yet. No problem if there is a delay - just need to know when I can whop the tune up to some silly PSI... :hide:

• Moderators
What is the shipping lead time on the BP kit? Ordered on the 8th, no email regarding order accepted or shipped as of yet. No problem if there is a delay - just need to know when I can whop the tune up to some silly PSI... :hide:

I'm sorry scruit. I packed your kit up last night and it was supposed to get to the post office today, just didn't happen. Work has been crushing me last few days (15hrs today, just now putting down the work computer).

Your kit will go out first up tomorrow morning.

Also, for whatever reason paypal doesn't seem to be sending tracking updates or indication that I have been printing postage. I'll look into that.

No problems, we have time. I'm expecting to finish installing the new turbo and DP etc this coming weekend, then run a base map for a couple of revisions before we crank up the boost. I just ordered the "blue tee replacement" so I expect to have the TMIC off next week anyways to install the new tee.

Thanks!

Here's a few pics before I installed the kit:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/18/ae3b46f33b5af02609ce6d967f02d6fd.jpg

The outlet side, not separating:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/18/1015fc39bf6d5669513974600ce384fc.jpg

The inlet side, note the separation:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/18/a852f4d2a3b64d2c4bfef547853d03a3.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/18/1ebb72cb9d422cb5792459850cd46d70.jpg

And a close up of the cracked tab before I had even touched it (middle tab):

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/18/7bb92dbada3ecaf9aa9fe7e0b4bc1143.jpg

The top tab in the last picture snapped readily once I used the vice grips, obviously embrittled. There was oil in the area, not sure if this contributed to the embrittlement of the metal. If I get a new intercooler one day I'll do a metallurgical analysis on the tab to see.

After the BP install, car pulls as hard as ever.

Edited by sketron1

Got the BP kit and installed it. Was surprised to find separation starting on the inlet side - got the kit as a preventative measure to go with my new 16g. When I went to crimp the tabs the inlet side turned out to be pretty damn loose...

Kit went in in about 15 mins (TMIC was already on the bench).

• Moderators
Got the BP kit and installed it. Was surprised to find separation starting on the inlet side - got the kit as a preventative measure to go with my new 16g. When I went to crimp the tabs the inlet side turned out to be pretty damn loose...

Kit went in in about 15 mins (TMIC was already on the bench).

Good stuff!

DiD the install a few weeks ago and it went fine, I just wish I had the proper banding tool to get the metal ties tighter but it has been fine thus far. I had first realized I had the end tank problem when I saw a little oil showing up on top of my turbo heatshield.

http://i.imgur.com/LiEtWYs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/37IF2ze.jpg

^Thats about what my TMI looked like too. Well minus the dirty engine. LOL.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?