LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been about 6,000 or more miles on my YK580 Yoko's. So far, they have been very unpredictable. I'm not sure it's because I'm used to rwd's, but they'll break loose on the rain sometimes, or lock up, and sometimes, they hold like rails. I'm not even sure. Upper sidewalls are getting wear, but I keep them aired up to the recommended psi.

So I took a chance and picked up the General Gmax AS-03 when the General Artic Altimax that were on the car when I bought it developed a serious bubble in the sidewall. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/09/9ymudu7e.jpg

I didn't really find much out there as far as feedback goes for the Gmax. There is a fair number of reviews on Tire Rack but I tend to take most of those reviews with a grain of salt.

I got the tires in 215/45/17 installed on the 08 wrx rims that came with the car for 110 each from jack Williams tire. They conveniently price matched tire rack's price + shipping. Now I've only had the tire on for two days but I've put close to 400 miles on them already. The turn in is very sharp, and once they set they do hold their grip through the turn quit nicely. I did notice some squirm after the tire had set in the turn but I'm going to chalk that up to it being new and needing some mileage on them for the sidewall to stiffen up still. I found a quote on nasioc where someone had talked to a continental sales person who said these are a cheaper alternative to the DWS with slightly stiffer sidewalls and I'm really hoping that this holds true. So far I have to say I'm happy with them for the price, I'll have to check back after I have a little more mileage on them though.

anyone ever get teh Goodyear Eagle GT's or Goodyear Triple Treads, I am looking into these for my stock 2010 Legacy Premium.

I like the GT look and from some of the reviews I see around they seem to last for $130 each installed by Goodyear it is a good Price even if I only get 40K on them.

The Triple treads got great reviews and they can be installed for $183 each tire including everything.

Just not sure which to get, Michelin's are way too expensive for a stock Legacy, and Bridgestone's are flaky from what I have heard and read.

I have over 70k (in 2 years) on the GT's. I use my 2009 Legacy for work, and it's mostly Hwy driving. Haven't had any issues in the NE Ohio winters with them either.

Michelin has also introduced a new UHPAS tire, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, due in mid 2013. It will have an asymmetric tread design, instead of a directional one like the current tire has.

http://www.michelinman.com/pilotsportas3

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/108040/michelin_launches_new_uhp_as_pilot.aspx

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/story/2012/12/a-tire-for-all-seasons-the-michelin-pilot-sport-a-s-3.aspx

"The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire is designed, engineered and manufactured in North America. It will be available in 65 sizes ranging from 175/65/R15 to 285/35/ZR20. The tire is backed by the Michelin Promise Plan tire service package."

DT has posted sizes and prices. $219 for a 215/45R17.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/michelin/product/byName.do?tmn=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance

• 1 month later...

I just got these put on my car today. Funny story about that lol...I actually ordered the A/S Plus based on all the good reviews, but they got the 3's by mistake and since my wife picked up the car, I didn't notice until she came home. I looked up the tire and realized it's brand new, and the rumor mill is that it's gonna replace the Plus's by the end of the year.

But as I was checking the 3's out online I stumbled upon some newer reviews of people who bought the plus's and most of them weren't great and all shared similar patterns. Pre-mature Wearing on the inner and outer edges of the tires, chunks of rubber coming off after only 10k and tire rot. Don't remember reading to much of these bad reviews when i looked at the tires 6 months ago. They all seem to be recent as of the last 3-4 months. Maybe Michelin changed something in the manufacturing? But all that reading turned me sour, so instead of bringing the car back and having them put the Plus's on, I'm gonna stick with the new 3's and see how they are.

The initial reviews seem very positive.

• 2 weeks later...
Consumer Reports will be testing the following UHPAS tires in 2013. Results should be available around Oct or Nov (or as early as September for online subscribers).

BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Cooper Zeon RS3-A

Falken ZE-912

Falken Azenis PT722 A/S

Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval AS

Fuzion UHP

General G-Max AS-03

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season

GT Radial Champiro UHP1

Hankook Ventus S1 noble2

Kumho Ecsta 4x

Maxxis Victra MA-Z4S

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Nexen N7000

Nitto Motivo

Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season

Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1

Toyo Proxes 4 Plus

Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ

Yokohama Avid ENVigor

The test results are now available to CR online subscribers, as of Aug 15. They will also be in the Nov issue of the magazine.

I'm not an online subscriber, but I do know they ranked the new Michelin AS3 as #1 overall.

• Moderators
Tire rack has had them for a bit AFAIK. I've also been talking to a local tire guy and he automatically switched me from MPSAS to AS3's. Oddly enough they are also cheaper and are non-directional which is nice for rotating them on AWD vehicles.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Tire rack has had them for a bit AFAIK. I've also been talking to a local tire guy and he automatically switched me from MPSAS to AS3's. Oddly enough they are also cheaper and are non-directional which is nice for rotating them on AWD vehicles.

Wow, they are a lot cheaper! IIRC the MPS A/S+ were around $200 each.

Also 225/45 17 are slightly cheaper, $156 vs $163 for stock, W speed rating.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3+%28W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated%29&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=245YR7PSAS3&tab=Sizes

There's also a HPAS V speed rated version, $137 stock, $142 for 225/45 17.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=145VR7PSAS3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Legacy%20Wagon%202.5%20GT&autoModClar=Limited

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Probably gonna pull the trigger on some A/S 3s here shortly. Tirerack has them on sale right now ($70 off for a set, mail in rebate). I find it interesting that the A/S Plus's are listed as "Ultra High Performance" and the A/S 3's are listed as "High Performance" even though they are supposed to be an improvement in nearly all conditions. Treadwear rating is the same, it may just be the speed rating (V vs. W) that's making the difference...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Probably gonna pull the trigger on some A/S 3s here shortly. Tirerack has them on sale right now ($70 off for a set, mail in rebate). I find it interesting that the A/S Plus's are listed as "Ultra High Performance" and the A/S 3's are listed as "High Performance" even though they are supposed to be an improvement in nearly all conditions. Treadwear rating is the same, it may just be the speed rating (V vs. W) that's making the difference...

It's not like I needed the "ultra" handling capabilities.. :lol:

The fact that they're NON-directional is a huge win for me - better rotation to avoid uneven wear. Speaking of which - just had my A/S+ unmounted/remounted in reversed order because I had huge wear on the outer edge, and almost none on the inner. Hoping that $150 for remounting lets them last another 10-15K miles or so.. Also had them do an alignment and set the toe to "absolute 0" to avoid this in the future..

• 2 months later...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2006&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan+2.5+GT&autoModClar=Limited&width=215%2F&ratio=45&diameter=17&sortCode=49500&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=H&minLoadRating=S&tab=All

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 comes in ultra high performance and high performance, because of different speed ratings. How will they compare in actual driving? I don't need the 180 mph speed rating of the Y rated tires.

Speed rating is usually byproduct of how sturdy the tire construction is.

Why do say that you do not need Y rated tires?

Krzys

I guess I should say, I don't think I do...do I? That's why I'm wondering what the difference is in regular driving. I don't do any autox or tracking. Just commuting to and from work and some back road zipping around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If you ever need your tires in an emergency manouver and you bought subpar product and you had an accident you will wonder if you haven't saved too much money.

To some degree tires are insurance policy. You do not need all the performance they could provide all the time but there may be a time when you need all of it and more.

Krzys

As much as I hate the GoodYear Eagle F1 for the fact that due to their design they have become cupped and noisy as shit, they do perform stellar. They've handled anything I've thrown at them and then some.

Speaking of emergency maneuvers, I had to avoid a collision and had to do a hard emergency stop from about 75. The car simply came to an abrupt stop without as much as a hint of a tire screetch.

As much as I hate the GoodYear Eagle F1 for the fact that due to their design they have become cupped and noisy as shit, they do perform stellar.

If you're talking about the Eagle F1 all-season, (the ones from a few years ago, not the new asymmetric design) you know there was a silent recall on them? I know I posted info about it around 4 years ago.

http://www.discounttire.com/infogoodyeareaglef1allseason/goodyeareaglef1allseason.html

I bought the car used with them. Like u said they do perform pretty well, except for the cupping that causes an insane amount of noise.

Had them replaced with Eagle GTs, Goodyear gave me a prorated discount on a new set of tires. Think I only had to pay ~$250 for 4 new tires. Wasn't going to argue with that since I didn't have a receipt.

Had The Eagle GTs for about 2 years until the tread started to separate on 3 of the 4 tires. Then I had the Eagle GTs replaced with Dunlop SP Sport Signatures.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I have those.. but the tire shop says they are fine.. which doesn't help me because I can't get squat. It is a bit noisy, but still handles awesome.. I have 6/32 left.. I'm going to throw them on my minivan next season.. or beat the crap out of them with my car :) the hard sidewalls are really nice..

Archived